Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-10-2015, 6:16 PM Reply   
Couple things: first I hate when people say for most skill levels u don't need this or don't need that. Yes u don't need it but it sure as heck is fun! So long as can be ridden at decent speed(below 23). All u guys talk about loading surf boats to the max and how much fun that is well same is true I think of wakeboarding. Bigger=funner! Just so happens u can make a G wake freaking huge and it's still not a touchy lip folding mess sub 23mph! Now I have no problem believing that a Xstar can get huge but if it's weighted like the Op is saying in this thread then I'm sure I want no part of it. Because I'm sure your pushing 24mph and that sucker is ready to fold over if someone so much as sneezes in the boat!
Watching the throwdown this weekend on TV I'll say that star wake didn't look the best to me either. The slow mo shots showed me a wake that had a crumbly lip just begging to catch your edge. Even parks made a comment on it. And watch the same pros at pwt behind the SE the week before it certainly appeared they had an easier time behind the supra than those stars....
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-10-2015, 7:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Couple things: first I hate when people say for most skill levels u don't need this or don't need that. Yes u don't need it but it sure as heck is fun! So long as can be ridden at decent speed(below 23). All u guys talk about loading surf boats to the max and how much fun that is well same is true I think of wakeboarding. Bigger=funner! Just so happens u can make a G wake freaking huge and it's still not a touchy lip folding mess sub 23mph! Now I have no problem believing that a Xstar can get huge but if it's weighted like the Op is saying in this thread then I'm sure I want no part of it. Because I'm sure your pushing 24mph and that sucker is ready to fold over if someone so much as sneezes in the boat!
Watching the throwdown this weekend on TV I'll say that star wake didn't look the best to me either. The slow mo shots showed me a wake that had a crumbly lip just begging to catch your edge. Even parks made a comment on it. And watch the same pros at pwt behind the SE the week before it certainly appeared they had an easier time behind the supra than those stars....

Agreed. I would take 5000 pounds in my LSV that's a pain to get stopped over a star that I have to stand up to see over the bow any day. I like to be able to see where I'm going ha.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2015, 7:22 PM Reply   
I have never ridden behind a G boat and thought " well, this would be better with another X,000 lbs of weight"

My boat, yes.
My friends x25, yes.
My neighbors OG pickle fork x-stars, hell yes.

But not one of these new "super" wake boats it's already bigger than anything else, and then some. More weight and it just becomes useless to anyone not throwing 900s.
I have done it before, it is just too much.

Then again I blew my left knee up because I was riding my neighbors x25 with 3500 lbs of ballast and I thought it would be a good idea to send a big ol' backroll 10 feet out to the flats. My knee disagreed upon landing. This used to be a normal occurrence for us, so maybe I am just being conservative in retrospect...


It's bizarre that you would weight the new star that way. The new star has a V hull that flattens out a good bit in the rear of I remember correctly, I would imagine it would weight out like an x25 but I was never given the opportunity to play with one.

Last edited by simplej; 08-10-2015 at 7:25 PM.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-24-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I know it beats buying a new boat, but it seriously shouldn't be that hard to dial that wake in.

That being said, I have also heard that there should be ZERO bow weight. Like not even a person.

If you want another good resource. Hit up Mike Toler at Charlotte Ski Boats. He's on facebook, you should be able to find him. He's on his second X-Star and has spent a lot of time dialing it in. He runs A LOT of lead in the boat. Mostly under the seats. He's the one that told me no weight in the bow at all. He seriously won't let anyone ride up there when pulling wakeboarders.
Not 100% sure...but I think Mike is selling that 2nd Star already, or is about to. I swear I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere on a website for sale. His 13 orange and black one is still for sale (I think) and now the blue and green one is too. I think he has moved onto a X23 for now until MC designs a new Star. I came close to actually buying the orange and black one! Decided I'm gonna go with a '16 G23 though. I like the idea of having a great wake and not having to compromise the storage to do so, but also being able to have a few manual fill bags (prob get three 800 ronix telescoping bags with the 3700 GPH pump-SUPER FAST) for those days that we really feel like ripping!!

Last edited by beg4wake; 08-24-2015 at 1:00 PM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-24-2015, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
Not 100% sure...but I think Mike is selling that 2nd Star already, or is about to. I swear I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere on a website for sale. His 13 orange and black one is still for sale (I think) and now the blue and green one is too. I think he has moved onto a X23 for now until MC designs a new Star. I came close to actually buying the orange and black one! Decided I'm gonna go with a '16 G23 though. I like the idea of having a great wake and not having to compromise the storage to do so, but also being able to have a few manual fill bags (prob get three 800 ronix telescoping bags with the 3700 GPH pump-SUPER FAST) for those days that we really feel like ripping!!
They are promo boats, he gets a new one every year. He doesn't sell them because he dislikes them (although I'm sure his color choices would improve his resale abilities).

Not surprised he's going to a X23, it's the latest and greatest and with the popularity of wakesurfing they (CSB) need a good surfing promo boat around.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-24-2015 at 1:08 PM.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-24-2015, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I have never ridden behind a G boat and thought " well, this would be better with another X,000 lbs of weight"

My boat, yes.
My friends x25, yes.
My neighbors OG pickle fork x-stars, hell yes.

But not one of these new "super" wake boats it's already bigger than anything else, and then some. More weight and it just becomes useless to anyone not throwing 900s.
I have done it before, it is just too much.

Then again I blew my left knee up because I was riding my neighbors x25 with 3500 lbs of ballast and I thought it would be a good idea to send a big ol' backroll 10 feet out to the flats. My knee disagreed upon landing. This used to be a normal occurrence for us, so maybe I am just being conservative in retrospect...


It's bizarre that you would weight the new star that way. The new star has a V hull that flattens out a good bit in the rear of I remember correctly, I would imagine it would weight out like an x25 but I was never given the opportunity to play with one.
What is the wake like on an X25 with 3500lbs? I have an X25 and the stock ballast + the occasional 1 sac on the floor is plenty big enough for me. I am getting a little older and less willing to get hurt these days. The X25 + 3500lbs has to be pretty decent size....
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-24-2015, 1:38 PM Reply   
It's a decent size but finicky as heck. Port side wake gets very steep and the starboard wake very much like an older x star. No shuffling weight around does not improve the effect.

Ultimately shapes up best left alone or with just a bit of extra weight In the bow like you have IMO

Last edited by simplej; 08-24-2015 at 1:44 PM.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-25-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
They are promo boats, he gets a new one every year. He doesn't sell them because he dislikes them (although I'm sure his color choices would improve his resale abilities).

Not surprised he's going to a X23, it's the latest and greatest and with the popularity of wakesurfing they (CSB) need a good surfing promo boat around.
Yeah. I will say, if I were gonna buy a Mastercraft, I would probably buy from them instead of my local rep (they are actually only 15 mins further for me). Mike, Robby, Amanda and the rest of the crew down there are great people with excellent customer service! I stopped in to look at a few of the boats they had. Wasn't interested in the color of the XStar they had in stock so Amanda showed me pics of Mike's older Star that was for sale. Still wasn't quite sold on that color combo either. But within 5 mins of leaving Mike called me to see if I had any questions about the boat and if I had time he was willing to take me out on it right then and there. Then invited me down any time to go boarding or surfing.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-25-2015, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
Yeah. I will say, if I were gonna buy a Mastercraft, I would probably buy from them instead of my local rep (they are actually only 15 mins further for me). Mike, Robby, Amanda and the rest of the crew down there are great people with excellent customer service! I stopped in to look at a few of the boats they had. Wasn't interested in the color of the XStar they had in stock so Amanda showed me pics of Mike's older Star that was for sale. Still wasn't quite sold on that color combo either. But within 5 mins of leaving Mike called me to see if I had any questions about the boat and if I had time he was willing to take me out on it right then and there. Then invited me down any time to go boarding or surfing.
Yeah they're cool people for sure, and I like all the events they put together to just get people out on the water in their community.

Although that being said, I've heard some less than ideal things about their service dept. Including (but not limited to) a friend's boat that was leaking gas while we were on the lake. Service tech never tightened down the sending unit and when the tank got filled it was sloshing out of the tank. LUCKILY we had a tool kit on the boat and I got it buttoned up and got the mess reasonably cleaned up as well. Scary stuff though... Either way, these little service blunders happen to every dealer/shop so I try not to hold it against them.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-25-2015, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Yeah they're cool people for sure, and I like all the events they put together to just get people out on the water in their community.

Although that being said, I've heard some less than ideal things about their service dept. Including (but not limited to) a friend's boat that was leaking gas while we were on the lake. Service tech never tightened down the sending unit and when the tank got filled it was sloshing out of the tank. LUCKILY we had a tool kit on the boat and I got it buttoned up and got the mess reasonably cleaned up as well. Scary stuff though... Either way, these little service blunders happen to every dealer/shop so I try not to hold it against them.
Yeah that's def unfortunate. Hopefully its not a common occurrence though. Yeah they do a lot to get the community out and on the water. A great marketing move IMO! I'm gonna try my best to attend the Wylie's Wicked Wakefest in Sept.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2015, 8:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
It's a decent size but finicky as heck. Port side wake gets very steep and the starboard wake very much like an older x star. No shuffling weight around does not improve the effect.

Ultimately shapes up best left alone or with just a bit of extra weight In the bow like you have IMO

If you like the wake that much on the X25 then you will love the X23. Same shape as the X25 just bigger. I love the wake on the X23. It's great and I have no problem landing all my spins/inverts with the boat. And when I'm done I select my side and I'm surfing a great/consistent surf wave with loads of push.

The majority of the people here that are bashing the X23 have yet to ride or own one. They tend to talk out of the rear ends. Give the X23 a chance and I promise you that you will like it. It's one of the lost comfortable boats I have owned to date.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-26-2015, 4:37 AM Reply   
I actually hate the wake on that boat (25).
It is 2 different shapes.
And then for surfing it gets huge, but has very little push compared to G21/23/XSTAR/RZR.

Last edited by simplej; 08-26-2015 at 4:39 AM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I actually hate the wake on that boat (25).
It is 2 different shapes.
And then for surfing it gets huge, but has very little push compared to G21/23/XSTAR/RZR.
The wake is not two different shapes its very consistent. I have ridden an X25 and never noticed two different shapes.

For surfing the X23 wave is huge and has tons of push as far as 20 ft back.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-26-2015, 6:48 AM Reply   
It most certainly does have 2 different shapes.
One side is very steep while the other side is very long in transition. Shuffling weight does nothing.

Probably why this hull was axed after a 4 year run.

Who knows, could just be that boat though...
I have ridden behind 2 others that I thought were better, or didn't notice the same effect.

I have put over 300 hours on that boat with a friend.

Last edited by simplej; 08-26-2015 at 6:55 AM.
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
I went through your exact dilemma except that for my family, the wakesurf wake was more important. But, a clean wakeboard wake at low speeds was an absolute necessity. This is where the x23 surprised us. To those posters who claim you need to go 21mph, this is simply false. This picture was taken yesterday with zero ballast at 18.7 mph. The wake is gorgeous. Being a newbie, I was intimidated by the peaky wake but after I got used to it, I really enjoy it. Add a little ballast and that peak will shoot you straight up. Is it as good as a g23 wakeboard wake? No way. But the wake will not disappoint you or hold you back. So if you like everything else about the x23 don't be totally fixated on the wakeboard wake.

Patrick
Attached Images
 
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-26-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have no skin in this game nor do I doubt your credibility. However, a picture showing both side of the wake proves the point a little more definitively.

It is easy to clean up a wake on one side or the other at slower speeds by shifting weight. The challenge is cleaning up both sides.

If the wake looks like that on both sides, that is pretty good for lower speeds.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-26-2015, 10:25 AM Reply   
Schmo, I am sure he was shifting weight around all day with his family in the boat so he could take a picture of one side of the wake to justify his purchase to wakeworld.

A simple, 'could you please take or post a picture of both sides of the wake? We would all appreciate it, glad you are enjoying the boat with your fam!' would have sufficed.

Last edited by hco; 08-26-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: needed to soften it a bit....
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-26-2015, 10:29 AM Reply   
Gotta agree with Dave......

I didn't spend a lot of time trying to clean up my X23 under 21mph, because we just don't ride that slow. none of us do. And anything above 21 is clean and very nice on the X23. I did, however, spend a little time just seeing if I could get it clean under 21. 20-20.5 was the best I could do on a wake that was clean on both sides.

But, like I said, I didn't spend much time trying. It is certainly not an "easy" low speed wake. But lets be clear about the fact that a G23 is not an "easy" low speed wake either. It is a little better maybe, but it is not easy like a Malibu 23 LSV, or a MC X30, etc..
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-26-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
Hey Eric - just curious, how much on the water time have you spent on a G?
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2015, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Hey Eric - just curious, how much on the water time have you spent on a G?
If I remember correctly, Eric went from a X23 to G because someone bought his X23.

I have been able all summer to create a clean wake at 18.5-19 for my nephew. I found out what works and used that to create such a wake and its awesome. The Wakeboard wake is awesome IMO. Its has great shape and a lot of pop. I would venture to say that most on here haven't ridden a X23 to have first hand experience. I have 80 hours on my X23 and its perfect and has been since day one.

But I will say that the G wakeboard wake is the best.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-26-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Hey Eric - just curious, how much on the water time have you spent on a G?
Probably around 50-60 hours per year, for the last three years. This year being the exception. I had an X23 to start the summer. Put about 80 hours on it, and got an offer to sell it that I couldn't refuse. With that being the case, the two boats I am on the most, are both Gs and I will probably end up with 160-200 hrs of G time this year. Mine has 50hrs already.

The MC dealer didn't have another X23, but the CC dealer had a nice G on the lot, and in my kind of color scheme. Perfect boat to finish the year.

Davez71- I don't doubt that you can get yours cleaned up at lower speeds. I didn't try many different things with mine. I just recognized that it wasn't going to be easy like my X30 was.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Probably around 50-60 hours per year, for the last three years. This year being the exception. I had an X23 to start the summer. Put about 80 hours on it, and got an offer to sell it that I couldn't refuse. With that being the case, the two boats I am on the most, are both Gs and I will probably end up with 160-200 hrs of G time this year. Mine has 50hrs already.

The MC dealer didn't have another X23, but the CC dealer had a nice G on the lot, and in my kind of color scheme. Perfect boat to finish the year.

Davez71- I don't doubt that you can get yours cleaned up at lower speeds. I didn't try many different things with mine. I just recognized that it wasn't going to be easy like my X30 was.
Definitely not easy but after some playing around I figured it out. The quick fix is get rid of the center tab
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-26-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Eric- very nice. Very, very nice!
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2015, 6:02 PM Reply   
https://youtu.be/MWW_TeasDnU

Had another great day at Beaver Lake in Arkansas. Had time to get this video of our low speed wake. I guess if you mean me shifting my weight 3 feet left or right as being to complicated......

Patrick.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-26-2015, 8:18 PM Reply   
LOL looks washy to me.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-26-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
I see some nice wash even when the boat is counter balanced. Lol.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-27-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I see some nice wash even when the boat is counter balanced. Lol.
I see some nice wash from that tige in your profile picture even when the boat is counter balanced
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-27-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I see some nice wash from that tige in your profile picture even when the boat is counter balanced

Oh! You mean when the boat has 3000 lbs of ballast and I'm doing a high line tension trick??? Yea weird how it would wash on one side under those circumstances. Certainly an MC would never do that...
Attached Images
 

Last edited by simplej; 08-27-2015 at 7:29 AM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-27-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Oh! You mean when the boat has 3000 lbs of ballast and I'm doing a high line tension trick??? Yea weird how it would wash on one side under those circumstances. Certainly an MC would never do that...
If that wake as 3K in ballast then please stop talking about the X23 wake. That wake is small! Besides the fact as much as you talk about the G one would think that you have one when you don't. Basically all your point are killed because you own neither of these boat and have little to no experience. BTW from the picture, its looks that backroll is high line tension
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-27-2015, 7:49 AM Reply   
Wow people are awful touchy about their wakes! Atleast for the most part brands they own! I don't think that wake looks small and besides pics never do a wake justice! Pics do show wash or what appear to be very lippy or flat wakes.
To me a great wake is one that gets huge and allows avg riders the ability to ride anywhere from 75-65 at mostly any speed(21+)they like. A boat that has a wake that doesn't clean up past 65' at 22.5 doesn't interest me. Or is so wide that even randle can't clear it at 75' unless he's going 25mph is the same. And u guys know full well there are boats like this!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-27-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
If that wake as 3K in ballast then please stop talking about the X23 wake. That wake is small! Besides the fact as much as you talk about the G one would think that you have one when you don't. Basically all your point are killed because you own neither of these boat and have little to no experience. BTW from the picture, its looks that backroll is high line tension

Bruh, it's a 20 foot boat. It's not gonna make a huge wake. Displacement displacement displacement. It's more about energy than size anyways, anyone with a 210 will tell you that. Unless you were referring to the washing out x25 I posted.

What points, observing a washy wake at 18.7 mph? Or encouraging the OP to purchase a G boat? The fact that I have ridden the g 23 wake on multiple occasions and have been nothing but impressed every time? I have a hard time believing that a V hulled boat like the x23 could surpass a g23 in wakeboard performance. Many hours in V hulled boats and x25s has taught me that. The fact that I don't own one makes my points even more viable than your own, as I have no "brand allegiance" in this recommendation. All that said I wouldn't recommend a G for a pure surf boat either.

1/4 of the time I spend on the water is behind G series boats.

And yes, a backroll is a high line tension trick, that's my point. Anytime you do a high line tension trick you pull the boat over and it will wash on the opposite side, regardless of the boat.

Ps. Not even an MC "hater" the OG picklefork XSTAR is my favorite wake of all time.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-27-2015, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
Schmo, I am sure he was shifting weight around all day with his family in the boat so he could take a picture of one side of the wake to justify his purchase to wakeworld.

A simple, 'could you please take or post a picture of both sides of the wake? We would all appreciate it, glad you are enjoying the boat with your fam!' would have sufficed.
Uh - I frequently move weight to one side to make a nicer heelside wake for my younger kids at slower speeds. It was merely a question and I didn't even ask for any proof nor say he was purposely deceiving. Even said it looked good if that is on both sides.

Man, people just look for reasons to pick a fight it wasn't the intention and I phrased it such. However, glad you edited your post to "soften it up a bit".
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-27-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
Can't believe how heated this is lol.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-27-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
G23, as Kanye would say it "all day *****"
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-27-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
So much justification goes on. Love it.

Where is the jet ranger?

Also OP: have you considered an MB?
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-27-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Can't believe how heated this is lol.
^^^ its a WW Forum...not an MC forum LOL
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-27-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
If that wake as 3K in ballast then please stop talking about the X23 wake. That wake is small! Besides the fact as much as you talk about the G one would think that you have one when you don't. Basically all your point are killed because you own neither of these boat and have little to no experience. BTW from the picture, its looks that backroll is high line tension

3k in ballast and he doesn't have to move from side to side every single time someone edges in. I don't care how comfy your MC is, if I can't sit in the same spot while someone rides and have to constantly move around I'm out.....you lose on this one. If you want a clean wake at 18 or 17 and possibly 16 you should have come out with me in my LSV clean alllllll day long.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-27-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
3k in ballast and he doesn't have to move from side to side every single time someone edges in. I don't care how comfy your MC is, if I can't sit in the same spot while someone rides and have to constantly move around I'm out.....you lose on this one. If you want a clean wake at 18 or 17 and possibly 16 you should have come out with me in my LSV clean alllllll day long.
MC does have a boat that has nice wakes at slow speeds and stays clean with tons of ballast, the X30. And it surfs pretty good too . If you're into that kind of thing.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-27-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
Well....... I can't get my G to clean up at 18mph or less, either. So, what does that mean, tn rider?

I love how we are all pros here, yet a finicky wake at low speeds is a deal breaker. "Wha wha what? The wake is washy at 19?!?. How will I do my double bankroll?"....... The X23 is not finicky at all above 21mph. Isn't that going to be fine for most riders? Lots and lots of boats that are like that. Low speed wakes belong to the X30, pretty much any Malibu, and a small handful of others.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-27-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
This thread is like a bunch of high school girls arguing over tampons. Mines better!(in a super whinny voice). It holds the most!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-27-2015, 12:22 PM Reply   
Hahaha you guys crack me up. I was clearly stirring the pot.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-28-2015, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Well....... I can't get my G to clean up at 18mph or less, either. So, what does that mean, tn rider?
I run my kid and her friends at 18ish.. and it's not perfect, but clean enough. My old LSV had a ridiculously clean wake at low speeds, but it was also 1500 lbs lighter than my G with no ballast in it.

Play with NCRS.. it cleans it up a bit more toward 'ramp' settings
Old     (MC)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-18-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
I spend about a week in the g every year and just ordered an x30 (so obviously can't compare wakes). The g is a fantastic boat and you will undoubtedly be happy with whichever you get. The g is the best wakeboard wake I have ever ridden but I have not been behind an x23. Also the layout is incredibly spacious. Other than that the mastercraft would probably win. I preferred the surfing on the x30 to the g and I would imagine the x23 is even better. Also the quality and attention to detail in the mastercraft is ridiculously good it is good in the g also but the mastercraft is incredible. Also no ski pylon on the g (don't know if that matters to you). Transfers and customization of the surf wave are better with gen2. The x23 also looks better imo. Also seen a lot about how mastercraft is so much more fuel efficient. Can't go wrong with either though
Old    MrDearybury            09-21-2015, 6:28 AM Reply   
Honestly, you said wakeboard wke was your most important, and unless you are throwing double flips non of us have the right to complain about a wake more than an x10 or super air 210. but we are fotunate enough to be able to ride them.

You said first priority is wakeboard wake. Honestly ive ridden them both... alot, i own an Xstar (2014) and i ride for hyperlite which as you know is tight with nautique. BOTH OF THESE BOATS HAVE STUPID DUMB WAKES. you cant go wrong with either brother.

Im partial to mc because of styling but lets all be honest these boats both kill the wakeboard scene.
Attached Images
  
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-23-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Nice looking Xstar man.
I agree, styling lines on the Xstar are second to none.
Can you give me quick breakdown of how you weigh it and rope lenght/speed etc..
no doubt I can get my wake big (I have the 7.4) but its pretty tough to see over the bow when I load up the stern, Just curious where and how much weight you position around your boat.
Its always nice getting the opinion from a sponsored rider that is not being paid by a boat manufacturer. Yet!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2015, 12:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1080 View Post
MY BAD!!
I was typing fast this morning. 23 to 24 is what i meant..I have not idea where that 32 to 33 came from. lol.
And yes.. my factory tanks and Gen2 bags have separate pumps as well as separate read-outs on the screen.
As for jonblarc7 not wanting to fill fatsacs on a 100k+ boat, well all I can say bro is you have not ever had a sponsored pro ask you to give him a pull, because I assure you every and I mean EVERY pro will add weight to their boat. I dont care what boat you have if a pro needs a pull you better add weight or he will not ask to ride with you again. lol. Not adding weight is just as bad as power-turning. Harf and Watson put more weight in their Gs then I discussed above. They fill both lockers and one on the floor and one in the bow.
Adding extra weight is just a fact of life due to the ballast restraints on manufactures because of the Coast Guard approval process.
Everybodys doin it. yes even G owners. If there is this much up front, you know it has to be double in the back.
So when are we going to see your name on the pro tour or pulling pro tour tricks? We all know pro's need weight and prefer it. It's been that way since day 1. The argument is your average person using these huge wake machines doesn't need to be filling sac'd all around the boat these days. Boats that require that for average riders are gonzo. The sales numbers don't lie.The Xstar cabin is already cramped as heck and now you're going to throw a sac in there and be forced to have the reverse seat? That takes up over half the cabin space right there. It may work for you but deal breaker for most here. Just like seeing over the bow is not important for pro riders who are driving on a closed course .........seeing over the bow for most of us and our 5ft 5 wives who drive is very important.

As far as sponsored and pro riders,,,,,,,, I have had plenty in all my old boats and boats I have driven. All were way cool and never once complained about the wake ever. Pretty much threw down their arsenal.If any pros are dissing the boat or wake they're behind they're probably not a pro I want behind the boat or to take advice from anyways. Get over yourself man.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-23-2015 at 1:03 PM.
Old    MrDearybury            09-24-2015, 5:43 AM Reply   
Swat guy you nailed that, Like i stated nobody has the right to complain about wakes unless you throw double flips on the reg wake to wake.
Old    MrDearybury            09-24-2015, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1080 View Post
Nice looking Xstar man.
I agree, styling lines on the Xstar are second to none.
Can you give me quick breakdown of how you weigh it and rope lenght/speed etc..
no doubt I can get my wake big (I have the 7.4) but its pretty tough to see over the bow when I load up the stern, Just curious where and how much weight you position around your boat.
Its always nice getting the opinion from a sponsored rider that is not being paid by a boat manufacturer. Yet!
Hey brother, thanks on the compliment. I agree styling on the XStar is my favorite. So mostly i dont have a ton of people in the boat so its me and three hommies. my set up is

Tanks (All) 100%
Rear sacs (750's) 100%
Front sacs 50%
extra 750 and 550 on reverse chair ill post pic.
Old    MrDearybury            09-24-2015, 5:48 AM Reply   
this is what it looks like
Attached Images
 
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-24-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
Mr dreary looks like u need some lead...
Old    MrDearybury            09-24-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Mr dreary looks like u need some lead...

Honestly havent tried it but would love some space back hahaha
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
Holy crap......having those sacks take up the whole cabin of the boat would drive me nuts. My OCD would be like
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2015, 3:50 PM Reply   
I will say I have seen some of MrDEarybury's riding and he uses all that weight like it should be. Bad ass looking boat with a guy who can throw down. Doesn't get much better than that.

Just clean that sac man!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2015, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDearybury View Post
this is what it looks like
But how does it surf?

Jk. Don't kill me
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2015, 3:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
But how does it surf?

Jk. Don't kill me
Bwahahahaha
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-25-2015, 4:47 AM Reply   
This is wake world. The XStar will never do anything good.....

With Gen2, it puts out a better stock surf wave than my G21. Without Gen2, it was just "ok". Too short and steep.
Old    MrDearybury            09-25-2015, 5:20 AM Reply   
Its got Gen2, the xstar gets a bad wrap on surfing. But it throws a fat nasty wave..............yeah....fat nasty
Old    MrDearybury            09-25-2015, 5:31 AM Reply   
For those arguing about wakes it isnt worth it lol. Any wake is awesome. Just as long as there is a rope to hold onto, consider us fortunate. But here is a pic that gives an idea of the lip behind mine, id like to think ive got the wake dialed in. (it took a while)
Attached Images
 
Old    MrDearybury            09-25-2015, 5:34 AM Reply   
http://youtu.be/p1rubu2F8R0

STOP BITCHING ABOUT WAKES watch this and respect it
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-25-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
+1 on the X-Star. We have a 2015 with the same plug n play bags as Bill, plus another ~800lbs that I put in the center. Might toss another 540 in the center when there's less than 3 people on the boat, but I don't need it since I can do everything fine with the current setup and 2 people onboard.

I don't know why people bash the surf wave so much, we have a blast on ours and it's plenty tall and long, and (here it comes) it's better than any G I've surfed. We run full ballast + the 800 in the center, 10.6mph, and between 40-80% trim (depends on rider) and it's a super fun wave. But, I wakeboard 90% of the time, so we bought a wakeboard boat with a great wake and a pretty good wave. Wouldn't be disappointed if we primarily surfed, though.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-25-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDearybury View Post
http://youtu.be/p1rubu2F8R0

STOP BITCHING ABOUT WAKES watch this and respect it
Exactly. I ride behind an 18' I/O with no tower sometimes. Is it fun - YUUUUUP
Old    MrDearybury            09-28-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
I will say I have seen some of MrDEarybury's riding and he uses all that weight like it should be. Bad ass looking boat with a guy who can throw down. Doesn't get much better than that.

Just clean that sac man!
Dude Much appreciated!!! Yeah i cleaned them recently, it was bad, shame on me for letting them get like that!
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-29-2015, 5:12 AM Reply   
This just out.

ORLANDO, FL (September 28, 2015) – Nautique was honored today with yet another coveted Industry Award for the Super Air Nautique G23. This year, the G23 was honored by being awarded the WakeWorld’s Riders Choice “Wakeboarding Boat of the Year” and WakeWorld’s “Wakesurfing Boat of the Year,” for two years in a row.

The Riders Choice Awards are selected by riders from around the world that vote online and choose a winner. This year, the Nautique G23 swept both boat categories, yet again. This makes three years in a row winning the Riders Choice Award for “Wakeboarding Boat of the Year” and two consecutive years following the introduction of the Riders Choice Award for the “Wakesurfing Boat of the Year.”
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-29-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
This just out.

ORLANDO, FL (September 28, 2015) – Nautique was honored today with yet another coveted Industry Award for the Super Air Nautique G23. This year, the G23 was honored by being awarded the WakeWorld’s Riders Choice “Wakeboarding Boat of the Year” and WakeWorld’s “Wakesurfing Boat of the Year,” for two years in a row.

The Riders Choice Awards are selected by riders from around the world that vote online and choose a winner. This year, the Nautique G23 swept both boat categories, yet again. This makes three years in a row winning the Riders Choice Award for “Wakeboarding Boat of the Year” and two consecutive years following the introduction of the Riders Choice Award for the “Wakesurfing Boat of the Year.”
3rd year in a row for "Wakeboard Boat Of The Year". Also...Malibu took 2nd in both categories and Supra took 3rd in both categories.

And in all fairness...this isn't a G23 vs XStar thread...it is a G23 vs X23 thread! Which the X23 has almost become Mastercrafts flagship boat in that it is probably the most sold model. I have no beef with Mastercraft as I currently own an XStar and I think they produce one of the finest boats on the water. However, IMO (and I truly mean my OWN opinion), I just feel that Mastercraft really misses a lot with the new XStars. I've tested many new boats ('15's and '16's), and while the XStar is a great boat, it just takes too much to fine tune. The X23, IMO, has a great surf wave but lacks in the wakeboarding dept (compared to the XStar and the G23, as well as the Supra SA!). The G23 (at least the '16 that I tested) handles the stock weight as well as added weight a LOT better and is less "finicky". The new Supra SA and SG also highly impressed me! Overall, the G's ergonomic layout, ample storage, and superb FACTORY wakeboard wake and wakesurf wake won me over. Plus the new partnership with JL just made it all the more sweet as the Polk left much to be desired. And don't get me wrong, I still love Mastercraft, and the XStar, and when weighted right it produces a MASSIVE wake! But I honestly think Mastercraft needs to revamp the XStar so that it becomes a phenomenal wakeboard boat as well as a phenomenal wakesurf boat, an all in one package. Also, from what I hear, we can expect some new big things from Malibu in the next year or so. But as many have stated above, almost all of these boats will exceed most of our own ability levels, so any of them should more than suffice!
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-29-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
3rd year in a row for "Wakeboard Boat Of The Year". Also...Malibu took 2nd in both categories and Supra took 3rd in both categories.

And in all fairness...this isn't a G23 vs XStar thread...it is a G23 vs X23 thread! Which the X23 has almost become Mastercrafts flagship boat in that it is probably the most sold model. I have no beef with Mastercraft as I currently own an XStar and I think they produce one of the finest boats on the water. However, IMO (and I truly mean my OWN opinion), I just feel that Mastercraft really misses a lot with the new XStars. I've tested many new boats ('15's and '16's), and while the XStar is a great boat, it just takes too much to fine tune. The X23, IMO, has a great surf wave but lacks in the wakeboarding dept (compared to the XStar and the G23, as well as the Supra SA!). The G23 (at least the '16 that I tested) handles the stock weight as well as added weight a LOT better and is less "finicky". The new Supra SA and SG also highly impressed me! Overall, the G's ergonomic layout, ample storage, and superb FACTORY wakeboard wake and wakesurf wake won me over. Plus the new partnership with JL just made it all the more sweet as the Polk left much to be desired. And don't get me wrong, I still love Mastercraft, and the XStar, and when weighted right it produces a MASSIVE wake! But I honestly think Mastercraft needs to revamp the XStar so that it becomes a phenomenal wakeboard boat as well as a phenomenal wakesurf boat, an all in one package. Also, from what I hear, we can expect some new big things from Malibu in the next year or so. But as many have stated above, almost all of these boats will exceed most of our own ability levels, so any of them should more than suffice!
I wouldn't expect MC to put a lot of R&D into improving a wakeboard boat. Since most boat buyers are old guys (like me) and tend to be interested in surfing, they'll focus on the surf wave. I think it's unfortunate but totally get it since they want to maximize boat sales (and profits).

I heard that the G23 design started back in 2008 when wakeboarding was more relevant. It was really just a bit of serendipity that it turned out to be a pretty good surf boat as well. I'm guessing their next "game changer" will focus on surfing.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-29-2015, 1:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBoarder View Post
I wouldn't expect MC to put a lot of R&D into improving a wakeboard boat. Since most boat buyers are old guys (like me) and tend to be interested in surfing, they'll focus on the surf wave. I think it's unfortunate but totally get it since they want to maximize boat sales (and profits).

I heard that the G23 design started back in 2008 when wakeboarding was more relevant. It was really just a bit of serendipity that it turned out to be a pretty good surf boat as well. I'm guessing their next "game changer" will focus on surfing.
You are correct as pretty much ALL of the changes made for the 2016 model G23's had to do with improving the surf wave.

I wasn't saying they should necessarily improve their wakeboard boat...I'm just saying if they really want to out-do the G23, they should produce a boat with Xstar wakeboard wake but a X23 wakesurf wave! Again....IMO.
Old     (rjklein4470)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-10-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
When the X star first came out I really wanted it, but when I got to see it at the boat show I was not as impressed.

It's odd to me that the boat is that big, but yet it feels small. The G23 looks big, and is huge in the interior.

I got the G because I want my kids to be able to have a bunch of friends, and as the driver I do not want to be all stressed out because there is crap everywhere. So I can have a clean boat with lots of kids, everything put away, and the wake can be customized on any boat really.

Yes out of the box performance count's, but I am no Pro and I am 100% positive I can get the boat to out perform my ability

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:02 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us