Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-01-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
So I'm a beginner rider, I've been behind a boat maybe 5 or 6 times, and I'm riding a 134 cm Hyperlite Motive. I just started making heelside wake jumps last time I was out, but I wanted to try learning to ride switch so I could move into 180s.

The problem is, the stock fins are MASSIVE. We're talking 1 3/4". So, I have no hope of sliding the board around to switch (I've tried, and the result was a face plant). I know I could do switch (I've been skateboarding for about 7 years so I can do both stances), I just need smaller fins. So does anyone know where I can buy some for less than $20 each? I was thinking of getting something around 3/4". I just can't justify paying $40 + shipping for fins, that would just make me want to save a little more money and buy a new board.

Brian
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
The motive has the molded in side fins, I think that you should try to ride it finless for a while. It will seem tough at first, but in the long run it will definitely help you with your edging. The molded fins should provide enough bite. Just try it out before rushing into buying new fins
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
Must be the older Belmont/Motive version to have that size fin. GREAT board but I'm not so sure the fin bolt setup is compatible with the new style Hyperlite fins so that could cause a problem. The old version had one bolt and the new one has two screw/bolts.

Whatever the case it's more then possible to butter the board around with that size fin. That was my first board and I rode it with those huge fins for a long time. True the board rides much better with smaller fins, it's still a good board with the large fins. I still have that board and ride it completely finless now. I don't recommend riding it finless on the wake but as a slider board it's great.

Not sure I helped any but hopefully you can find some use of my ramble.
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-01-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
It's a 2006 model I think, it has the two-bolt fins. And even if it CAN be buttered around, it's just way too tight for my taste. The molded fins are only about 3/8" so I dunno how much bite those will give me.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-01-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
you could go to a store and buy some aftermarket shalower fins then
but until then go finless. Even though the molded in fins are shallow they are long and may bite more than you think. besides, finless, though difficulat at first, will force you to ride more sure on your edge, which is what you want in the long run anyway
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
Grind down the old fins...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-01-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
ride finless
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-01-2008, 11:01 PM Reply   
try it finless. i really bet you will love it
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2008, 2:13 AM Reply   
finless...the awkward feeling should pass after one good set.. i have a 07 murray 138 and the molded fins dont even look usefull in the least bit.. about 3/8's maybe at the deepest point.. but once you learn how to set that nice edge.. you wont ride any other way.. when i was learning with friends who had been doin it for years.. they took my fins off and made me learn without them.. not the nicest thing to do.. but ill thank them now..
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-02-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
So if I do decide to just go straight to finless, any tips for making the learning curve a little more forgiving?
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-02-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
you really need to use correct form for cutting, which in turn will help you in the long run
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-02-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
It's really not meant to be ridden finless... that board really needs like 0.7" - 1" fin in the center. Try it finless but if it's the two bolt setup you can get the smaller fins somewhere.
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-02-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
I think I'll put my shop skills to use and reshape the fins to just under 1". Should be pretty easy...I'm guessing they're made of ABS.

Unless one of you crazies-gone-finless has a set lying around that you wouldn't mind sending my way.

(Message edited by thisisbrians on June 02, 2008)