Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-16-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
One of my amps kicked on me. I have to sets of liquid audio cans with kicker comp. in them. I have been using two amps one for each set. i would like to get one amp that would push them. I also have a 10 sub. under my driver console. I have heard people talk about amps that have 4 channels to run there components and 1 channel to run the sub. I like that idea, but would like some opinions first. Thanks
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-16-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
Kicker 700.5 is a pretty popular amp. Make a budget and search for an amp like that or a 4-channel and a mono amp.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-16-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
Chris-

John's recommendation regarding the 700.5 is a good one. the 700.5 models, both in the MX and ZX lines are real solid for boat applications.

Kicker also makes the ZX550.3 which will deliver 70 watts x2 into 4-ohms, and also has a digital sub amp that will deliver 420 watts into a 2-ohm sub or a pair of 4-ohm subs. I recommend this one if you want to just run the towers and the sub off of the new amp.

Let us know!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-16-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Partial thread hyjack here, but what is better for powering 4 tower speakers and a sub? Is it better to go with the 2 channel + sub amp (ZX550.3) or the 4 channel + sub amp (MX700.5)? Shouldn't 4 speakers use the 4 channel + sub amp?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-16-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Todd-

I am the guy who prefers to run class amps at 4-ohms, rather than loading them down to 2-ohms. I would probably try to use the 5-channel amp, and put one speaker on each channel.

What tower speaker are you talking about? Despite my mantra regarding a speaker per amp channel, sometimes it just makes more "wallet sense" to go with a 3-channel amp for the application you mention, wiring two speakers together to a single channel in parallel for the left side, and the same thing with the other two for the right side. Trick is, the speakers must each have an impedance no lower than 4-ohms, or you will show a parallel load to the amp that is lower than 2-ohms. If you try to run a load lower then 2-ohms, the system will run hot, and it will probably shut down from going into protection a lot.

The KMT6 is one example of a speaker that has a 3-ohm impedance, and two in parallel will just not work. If you have two pairs of 3-ohm speakers, you need to go the "speaker-per-channel" route.

Make sense?

Let us know!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-16-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
I haven't decided on speakers yet, but your info helps a lot. Thanks.
Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-17-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
I just ordered the kicker 700.5. Thanks for all the info
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-17-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Chris-

Stay in touch and let us know how it goes!

Phil
Kicker