Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-13-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
After reading and seeing everyone's reviews of Malco Leather and Vinyl Cleaner I finally decided to order some for myself. You can't even buy it in Canada so I decided I would order 2 -1 gallon jugs so I had lots to last me for a while. I have white vinyl to begin with so you can't hide a lot of dirt on it but I was still amazed at how well it cleaned and how much dirt it still lifted off. My 10 year old vinyl looks brand new again. Now I just have to buy some more 303 Protectant and finish it up.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-13-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
I love the Malco, it works great on the boat vinyl. However, I used it just yesterday to clean up the leather seats in the Expedition, and it took the paint/leather finish off. I did use the brush, but was disappointed when I realized that the tan colored leather pigment was giving up to the Malco. It is Malco Leather and Plastic for cryin out loud. Beware. I've never had a problem with it on vinyl, it works great there.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
Derek,
Did you buy your vehicle new? If not it is possible that that seat had a repair or had been re-died and that what was coming off??????? Just curious...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
I've used it on more durable leathers (truck leather) with no problem. I know Grant tried it on a spot in hid Caddi and it too discolored it. Malco makes a cream called Malco leather conditioner that cleans, protects and smells like brand new leather. We use it on my wifes car and our leather furniter in the house. That is what I would recommend for your leather needs.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-13-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
We bought the Exp used about 4 years ago now. It is an 04 with all the bells and whistles - wife's car. The car was and still is in near perfect shape - except the second row seat behind the driver now has a raw leather look to it ugh! The seat seems to have a paint-type finish to the leather. I would assume a dye would penetrate the leather and be "deeper" and less likely to come off. This paint seemed to be on the surface only, and came off in tiny bits (like you'd expect paint to come off). So, I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. Interestingly, it did a good job of cleaning on other areas of the same seat...

So, just be careful on leather. I wont be using it on leather ever again.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
The seat seems to have a paint-type finish to the leather
If its on the bolstered part of the seat cushion then its likely been refinished. Its a common spot to get wear from kids sliding in and out.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-13-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
can you get the stuff online yet? i've played phone tag with the local dealer, but would like to just place an order online if possible. i'd like to give it a try this winter.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
I used it on a leather chair in the house, and had it take the color of the leather too.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Bruce, check Amazon they have it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-13-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Always recommended to check the compatibility of a product with the material its being used on for the first time...somewhere that doesnt show preferably.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
thanks hate,

this stuff right?

http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-PLASTI...4473165&sr=1-1

Last edited by brucemac; 09-14-2010 at 7:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-14-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
I have been seeing great reviews on how well this stuff works as well as the totally awesome. I am trying to decide which one to get. I have access to the awesome at my 99 cent strore, but I am wondering if this Malco is better and worth the ten bucks. I have no problem with 10 bucks if its better but if its the same as the awesome then I will go with the dollar store. Any opinions?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-14-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
the place I buy mine from told me to test first. they have the same issues with color being removed off leather. they wont' use it on leather.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-14-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
I bought it online from this place in WA.

http://www.perfectfit.com/15326/1559...l-Cleaner.html
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Bruce, yes that's it. If they have it by the gallon go for it, its a better deal and you'll love it.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
I'm considering buying a 22 oz bottle in order to try this stuff out. Is that enough to do a 21' boat with vinyl that's not overly dirty?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-14-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Paul, I can tell you it works amazingly so I would do yourself a favor and just buy the one gallon jug. I went in to it blind as well but with the rave reviews I figured I would have a great chance of it being a worth while....I bought 2-1 gallon jugs.