Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (deafgoose)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
I went to my local dealer looking to buy a wakeskate board and the sales guy said it's very dangerous.

I asked him why and she said many people break their leg when they loose their footing as one foot slips off the board.

Is there any truth to this?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
A little bit, but in all honesty, a gross over exaturation.

In fact, I know tons of people who due to injury, have started wakeskating instead of wakeboarding because their doctor said it was safer for their knees. I have been wakeskating for 3 years now with only one injury that has really done anything to me, and that was on a very advanced trick that I wasn't ready for.

But I land with one foot one and one off all the time. You just have to know how to fall, and when to let go.
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       07-16-2008, 10:23 PM Reply   
i go big on my skate when i need a break from wakeboarding! its soo much nicer to hit the water and not be strapped into board thats gonna mangle u up!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 10:52 PM Reply   
i always felt that it is safer.. just cause of the simple fact that you can always bail.. and your arent strapped to something that is gonna give you whiplash wen you catch a bad edge..
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
I have had quite a few falls on a wakeboard that left me seeing stars but nothing major. just started wakeskating seriously this summer and have sprained my knee twice. It hasn't been hurt bad enough to keep me from riding but I walk with a limp for a couple weeks.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-17-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
I've done a number of splits and never broke a leg. There are a few examples of bad things happening--some guy landed one foot on, one off after doing a wake to wake and broke his femur. Scott byerly was doing an inside out 3 shuv, landed one foot on, one off and tore apart his front knee. Shaun murray's back foot slipped off after landing a wake to wake and he also wrecked his knee.

It's not as bad as she made it out to be. You can get hurt riding any board. Ultimately it's just important to respect the board you're riding, because a wakeskate definitely has the potential to fully wreck you if you forget that and do stupid stuff that's beyond your ability level, like hucking wake to wakes before you learn a proper ollie.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
i know a guy who died while wakeskating. he was doing a lipslide and just blew up.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-18-2008, 1:50 AM Reply   
^^^^^^

i heard about that!!!!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Mitch that literally made me start laughing out loud
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I just jacked my knee up a bit last week 'skating. Trying to learn my first shuv and like she said, front leg on, back leg off and it pulled me forward enough that my knee bent sideways. Hurt like hell and I was gimping for a few days.
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-24-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
And I was told the world was flat
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-31-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
I landed a wake to wake jump with no back foot on the board. complete tear of my MCL. Havent touched a skate since
Old     (littewend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-11-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
you can find a nice thread with pics of broken legs from wakeboards too. Basically, any sport with any sort of speed or jumping/flipping etc. has risks. Thanks to the wii you can even get injured playing video games.
Old     (popfarrier)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-12-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
totally agree with you Wendy any sport can be lethal or can hurt you , I started this year skate and bought a new board and love it . still wakeboard I actually think skate is safer than wakeboard but What do I know
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
tore my bicep falling, don't really know how but you basically can get hurt retrieving the mail, so live a little dangerously, buy the skate and ride. You wont regret it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
I wouldn't trust the sales person based on the fact they changed gender right in front of you!
Old     (lazypiper)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-06-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I was doing a small 90 shovit off the wake. One foot landed on the board and one foot off the board. I had a complete tear of my left MCL. Conditions were not the best for wakeboarding so I figured I would just mess around behind the boat on the skate. I guess that was a bad idea. Take a look this small fall put me out for the season.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UG0b2KB9F4
Upload
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-21-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
i broke my femur going w2w; back leg off the board. my front leg was centered in the middle so neither fin grabbed. the board spun around and spiral snapped the femur. ouch. i've ridden it again, no wake jumping for me on a skate.

(Message edited by salty87 on October 21, 2008)
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-21-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
salty87

It is an interesting fact anyone I have heard that has broken their femur w2w landing back foot off was riding finless. I have landed this way more than once with fins and get one heck of a groin, knee stretch.
Old     (proimages)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-21-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Jacked my hip in March..with a one foot landing, backed off on the jumping for a bit, and worked on my form and surface tricks. Now I'm landing 180s
and starting to get back into jumping..
One good piece of advice was to shorten the rope
and work my way back to 65' that way I'm getting use to popping and landing w2w
cheers D
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-17-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
my good friend managed a spiral fracture of his femur on an ollie. it was nasty! I haven't tried anything on a wakeskate since...
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-18-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
ya i was doing some shoves at the cable and one foot came off and i pulled my ham and blew my knee out but i stiil skate anyways. you have to get over it just buy a skate
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-18-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
The dealer was trying to convince you that wakeskating is dangerous? Most would probably just try to sell you their products, and not give you information that would turn you away from buying a skate from them
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-18-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
thats because they want to sell you a wakeboard that has a bigger margin.
Old     (brendonwilmoth)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-19-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
zach you didnt blow out your knee i was there retard you just sprainded it!