Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-03-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Went out this week and (after many, many attempts) landed my first wake 180...a heelside, since I'm not great at toeside jumps. Trouble is, during almost every other attempt (we're talking like 20 or 30) I got about a foot or two of air, spin around, start to land ok and then I'd end up butt-checking the water. Are my hips too far back while jumping? Or do I need to try to land on my toeside edge more?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-03-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Push your chest out a little more, try to get on your toes and cut out like you normally would edging. You're flattening out and you won't be able to stick it that way.
Old                09-06-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
try to keep your body over the board more and practice your switch toeside edging to help wiht the landing.
Old                09-09-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
start to practice inside out without doing w2w. let go with your back arm and swing it in behind you to help keep your balance, try to land 'on edge', and not flat. Like the guys said previously push your chest out like your going to fall forward that will help you land on your toes. your trying to land flat or on your heels which is going to make ya fall on your butt.
Old                09-09-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
Sounds great everybody, i'll give it a shot on Saturday and let you know how it goes. Incidentally, most of the time I have the same problem with ollie 180s. Hopefully this will fix both.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-09-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Try glancing at the shoreline when you're in air. You're probably trying to look at the boat when you're pulling it around, which will keep the board from rotating a full 180. If the board lands pointing at the boat instead of at shore, you'll but-check every time.

mb
Old                09-15-2004, 5:55 AM Reply   
When that happens to me, I pulled on teh rop too much, and hada slack rop when I landed. stay more straight up.
Old                09-26-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
just keep the board underneath you
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
The hardest thing about landing TS and Switch TS is to make sure you have the handle behind you. If you land with the handle in front of you then you will slide out. I try to think about sticking the handle in the small of my back on landings. This also helps when stepping up to 360s becaus the handle is where it needs to be on the pass.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on October 13, 2004)
Old    alanp            10-24-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
i guarantee you are not looking at the shoreline. if you do wont slide out on ur butt. get your pop then just look to the opposite shorline(the one you are riding to) and i promise(well not promise) you will ride away from these. keep the handle close to your hip but mostly concentrate on your eyes.
Old     (davo00)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-01-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
It used to happen to me all the time. The biggest change I made was to make sure that my bindings were set equally. (Splayed stance. Before I had my rear binding at about 90 degrees which was forcing my right foot back around when landing the HS180. After getting the bindings sorted out, I found the most important thing is to look OUT when you are landing. NOT DOWN!!
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2005, 12:12 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me the last time i went out. I attemped it a few times and kept landing on my butt too and my friend told me that i wasnt turning the board all the way and that it looked like i was landind with my toes toward the board and it looked like a butterslide. So i let go of the rope with my right hand (i ride goofy) and tried to get as straight as i could and i landed it.
Good luck!