Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       02-13-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
I would like to camp at Shasta this summer. I have been on a houseboat there, but never camped. Wondering where you guys reconmend. I really like the McCloud arm.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
Brian,

I would stay at Arbuckle Flats on the Pit arm. We moored our houseboat right near there last year, and it was a great place for campers.
Old    murrayair            02-13-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
If you are camping instead of house boating, I wouldnt go to Arbuckle. The mud is knee high and it gets everywhere. I would reccomend Gooseneck Cove on the Sacramento arm. No mud and a great beach. You will most likely get smoother water on the Pit, but its really muddy and you have to watch out for trees sticking up out of the water. And the water in Gooseneck cove isnt all thatbad, just not as good as the Pit.
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       02-13-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Thank you for your help!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-13-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
We ussually go to Lake head, pull into the RV Park with our 1977 CLass c looking like the clampets but the kids have a blast and so do us adults. You can launch your boat just down the road and everything is right there.
Old    dug            02-14-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
We're thinking about camping at Shasta this summer as well. I agree with Brian, I like the McCloud arm. I had some questions as well?

What are the pro's/con's of Herz Bay camp ground? We have 6 families coming (one motorhome, one trailer, one camper and the remaining three will tent camp)

Is it two much of a hassle to drive to Hirz? Do you need to pull your boat out each night? Would we be better off camping closer to I-5?(like Antler or a private campground on the Sacramento Arm)

I appreciate any insight you might have and thanks for the help.
Doug
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-14-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
I'm excited! I just heard my dad talking about the possibility of taking a trip to Shasta this summer. Oh golly gee whiz I hope we can. That would be swell.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-15-2005, 12:31 AM Reply   
Heres a website that might help you out
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/shastatrinity/recreation/nra/shasta/camping.shtml

I live in Shasta and have been camping the lake several times. I personaly like to take the boat out and go find a nice little shady spot (because it gets hot as hell during the day) However if your staying for more than 2 days than I would recommend that you find a desinated campground. The website that I listed will provide you with all the information you need to pick the best campground for you
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2005, 6:59 AM Reply   
Doug - Hirz bay has a couple of group sites which would be perfect for your big group. The campground is very rustic, but puts you close to the water. If the water is high enough, there is a little cove that goes back which is perfect to keep your boat. It gets pretty rough out by the ramp during the day and I would not want to keep my boat there overnight, but the ramp is right there.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
nayR - We tent camp at Shasta all the time - usually Gooseneck or Ski Island. We like Ski Island because you can find good water and it is close to marinas, but gets kind of crowded on weekends. We have stayed up at Gregory Creek which is nice when the water is high, but they seem to have it closed for bald eagles when we want to go there.

Do you know of any good camping spots that are not camp grounds? We have looked around, but it is hard to find a spot with decent shore and flat enough to pitch a tent in the trees. ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Dave
Old    dug            02-15-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
Guys, thanks for the feedback.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-15-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
Dave if you launch out of Bridge Bay and go up the Sacremento River Arm you will find a few spots on the right shaded by trees. However when the water level is low it is hard to see because it is located on the top of the hill and you will have to do hiking but not alot. Since you are Launching off of goose neck go down the sac arm and on your left you will see a few spots. If those are taken up go up near the pit river arm and you will find alot of spots there also. Try to stay away from Antlers because it tends to get crowed around there during the weekends than again alot of resorts are like that
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
In my opinion, the Sac arm is a joke for riding. It get's blown out with idiots by nine in the morning. One positive though, if you go all the way up to the rope swing, there's usually some nice eye candy.