Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
I started wakeboarding in May and am TOTALLY addicted! I ride a Parks DNA 136 with last years parks bindings. I can ride switch, do surface 360's and switch 180's off the wake but I can't get wake 2 wake and it's pissing me off! Any suggestions?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-23-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
What type of boat/wake? How long of line? How fast are you riding? Don't take this the wrong way but you probably could of started out on a less agressive board. A nice continuous rocker board would probably serve you better at this skill level.
Old    260searay            10-23-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
I found that a nice non-stretch line and a good progressive edge is key.
Old     (jenw2w)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
Our boat is a 05 Bayliner and the rope is a non-stretch 75' I ride at 20-22 mph when trying to jump. I tried a few other boards (Premeire, State, and a Liquid Force)and loved the Parks board. Do you think that it's holding me back? I ride pretty agressive for a newby.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-23-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
Well it is an agressive three stage rocker board. Lets just say it's not near as forgiving on rider technique as a nice continuous or a subtle three stage rocker board would be. You can do two things depending on if the wake will allow you to. You can add line and just work on edgeing and jumps into the middle, then when your getting close to the other wake, shorten to 60 or 65 and you should be able to clear the wake. Or just shorten to 60 or 65 right now and go for it. Edge through the wake, lock your knees at the bottom and keep the handle down low and in. Whatever length line, make sure the wake is clean there.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-23-2005, 9:08 AM Reply   
My biggest problem on why I couldn't go wake to wake was not only a progressive edge but I had no guts. Sometimes I thought I was riding hard to the wake only for my wife to tell me I always slowed up when I actually arrived at the lip of the wake. So I watched a video (the book...best instructional video out there in my opinion) and stayed on edge all the way the through the wake along with making sure my max speed and tension hit at the time I hit the wake stood tall and went flying. My advice would be to make sure you feel max tension in the line as you hit the wake then stand tall, you'll be flying in no time!!!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-24-2005, 7:00 AM Reply   
I second what Brett said. It took me two years to learn to go w2w (just got it at the end of this season) -- I was starting off with an agressive cut. What you need to do is cut back in slow, make a progressive cut to the wake (which means you will pick up speed the closer you get to the wake) and at the top of the wake, you need to straighten your legs (pop). I think the hardest part is getting the timing down for the pop. Make sure you tell yourself to stay on edge the whole way through the wake too.

I don't know how wide your wake is, but you might want to bring the rope in 10 feet or so until you get the feel.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-24-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Just shorten the rope by 10 to 15 feet and keep doing what your doing. Most newbies learn to jump the wake at 60 feet. Once your clear the wake consistently then lengthen the rope until you get to where you want to be. The shorter rope will help you with technique and most of all confidence.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-24-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
If you're riding behind a bayliner I'm guessing it's an i/o?

I ride a tournament boat around 70 and my i/o I ride between 55-60.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Try riding a different board. You would progress more if you rode a board that was more geared for a beginner.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-24-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
You should of watched that "I wanna be made" special on MTV...The youngster on that program was jumping the wake in two weeks...
1. Load the line : To load the line, you need to build progressive edge.
2. Since your a first timer, start out as far as possible out side of the wake.
3. do not turn back into the wake but make a progressive edge back into the wake building up edge as you reach the wake.
4. At this point you should have no slack in the line at all, and when riding up the wake hold that edge and keep the handle at waist level...
5. Back straight, Head up, knees slightly bent...
6. Enjoy the ride!!
7. Don't be afraid, You WILL take several falls, and they will hurt! Keep it up, and before you know it you'll be throwing raley's
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
I'd say to shorten the line to where you can jump comfortably w2w every time. It might sound weird, but I actually started at 45' and have progressed to 70'. Line length was the biggest variable that helped me get better.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-25-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
I don't have a wakeboarding boat either, so I need to have a full tank of gas, a bunch of people and half the plates from my weight bench in the boat to get a decent wake.

If you can, add some weight to your boat. Throw in everything you can find that is heavy. You may also try adjusting the boat speed a little bit to see if you can increase the wake size.

Ask someone with a real boat to give you a pull. Most people will be happy too. The first time I was behind a wakeboard boat (X-Star) I was shocked at how huge the wake was. It's a lot easier to get air and distance with a frickin' waist high, perfect wake!! :-)

Like every one already said, practice your technique. That will help you the most.

~J.