Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       08-18-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
I just had one of my front teeth knocked out on a front roll- knee to the mouth-fall. The other teeth were pretty mangled but I have braces and that kept them from being knocked out also. What have people who have lost teeth done after the accident. How long did you go before riding again (don't want to loose the teeth I have left) and did you wear a mouth guard or anything? Then I worry about getting at lot of dental work done to fix it up and then smashing it again. Anybody been through all this already?
Old    wakeboardjo            08-18-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Cobe Mikacich has. He lost his 2 top front teeth and has fake ones he wears. He has to take them out when he rides though
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-18-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
The second time i tried a tantrum i landed on my board but my knee hit me in the chin and i chiped three of my front teeth. I got back up and tried it again.(but i'm not very smart) I didn't KNOCK my teeth out though. I would say it's a freak accident and not worry about doing it again.
Old    bandit33            08-18-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Have your dentist mold up a quality teethguard for you. They are better than what you buy at sporting goods store because they will fit snugly on your upper teeth and stays put. The dentist will make a mold from your teeth and then make the guard from it. I wear one for ice hockey and it works great; can talk and yell at my teammates with it in. I don't wear one for my wakeboarding but if you are doing really aggresive stuff like you probably are, it would be a good item to use. You can take a hard jolt and your teeth will be much more protected. Teeth repairs can be expensive.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
I have hit my chin with my knee several times and made my teeth go numb. I would say a mouth guard is the best thing. I don't wear one but I did get a shorty wet suit that covers my knees. It seems like this little extra cushion has saved me several times.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (hiking42)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-18-2003, 8:07 PM Reply   
My friend landed hard on a backroll and his knee chipped 4 teeth, he was spitting out pieces of them on the boat
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2003, 8:56 PM Reply   
"Freak accident" might mean it doesn't happen very often, but it's still a risk. The first time I took a knee to the chin, I broke my jaw in two places. After that, I wore a cheap ($2) football mouthguard for a year or so, then I got lazy and figured it would never happen again. Last weekend, I took another knee to the chin and chipped 6 teeth, while the mouthguard was in my wakeboard bag. Now it's gonna cost me over $600 to get them fixed. $2 versus $600? Hmmm... I know chicks dig scars, but do they dig a jacked-up grille?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2003, 10:28 PM Reply   
where do you stop at though?? helmet, mouth guard, knee braces, ear plugs, cup, butt plug???
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2003, 10:41 PM Reply   
I like all those.
The butt plug is especially good for learning scarecrows.
Old     (project3060)      Join Date: May 2001       08-19-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
I think I'll go get a mouth guard and take it easy for awhile. The dentist x-ray'd things yesterday and it looks like I lost some bone in the accident also so there not a lot for the teeth still in there to hold on to.
Old    eyesman            08-19-2003, 10:26 PM Reply   
i few inches lower and i would not have teeth.
instead i got 6 stitches inbetween my eyes from
the skin tearing.
mouth guard may help but i am going to wear
volleyball knee pads...kidding.

Old    boarding_brat            08-19-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
isnt this supposed to be in the "NON WAKEBOARDING" discussion? lol