Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-05-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Well, after about 4 months of deliberation, I pulled the trigger on the 08 Supra 22SSV coming from an 05 Supra 24SSV. (see thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/535447.html)

Here are my impressions so far:
Fit and finish: No comparison, every year Supra has been stepping it up. The carpet and vinyl are thicker and the boat's look is definitely much updated.

Ride: The boat definitely handles better than the 05 24. They have also eliminated any of the steer chatter that happened on the 24 with heavy loads. Boat also seemed much improved cutting through rollers and such.

Wake: We are still experimenting with this but I did take my old 24 bags which were upgraded and stuck them in this boat. So right now we have 1100 up front and two 900's in the rear compartments. We never filled up the rears completely since that would be too much without more in the nose but it is nice to have that big bag back there for wakesurfing.

Anyway, the wake with the front bag almost full and probably 500-600 in each rear bag was about equal size to the 24SSV. However, it is definitely significantly steeper and firmer in my and 3 other of my buddies opinions. It definitley has more of a natural kick to it. The steeper wake took a little getting used to from the toe side edge. I can't imagine the steepness of a 21V as people state it is MUCH steeper. It was clean to 75ft at 22.5-23.5.

We are going to continue to play with the weight (possible some more in the nose adding more in the rear).

Recommended additions: One thing that I always disliked about my Supra's is that they shared one pump to fill all three bags. When you have these big bags, that takes a while. I worked with my dealer and they installed a second pump which is attached directly to the front bag. They then capped off one of the outlets on the original manifold so that the stock pump only fills that back two bags. It is all wired up to work like stock (second pump only turns on when center is set to fill and stock pump only turns on when right or left are set to fill). This was the best few hundered dollars that I ever spent as the water gushes into the stock front bag and the rears now fill fast too. The system fills about twice as fast.

Overall, so far we love the boat. Supra keeps stepping it up and I am loving the steeper, firmer wake.

Hopefully I will have some pictures of the boat and the extra plumbed in pump if anyone is interested.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
The 22SSV is one of my favorite boats, it's definantly a beast. Have fun with it, it will continue to impress you
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
Congrats on the purchase - thanks for the write-up.

Yes, please post the pics of the extra pump install. I am thinking of doing something similar, and also with a forth bag along the side for surfing. Do you still empty with stock pumps?
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're happy with your decision, congrats, and enjoy.

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-06-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
Dave, I haev an 07 ( there were minor changes made to the hull from 07 to 08) but I've found the boat not to like as much weight up front as my buddy's 21v. If you put to much weight up front the wake is very hard to clean up. the split in my boat is proabbly 60/40 (rear/front) I run the plate about half to 3/4 up.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-06-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
I know, I know. I can't believe I don't have a single picture but I will take a couple tonight of the boat and the extra ballast pump. Next time we ride, I will take a some pics of the wake.

Adam, so far all the advice I got is somewhere between 50/50 to 40/60 (front/rear). Interesting that more weight in the front made it difficult to clean up, usually adding weight to the front rounds it out more making it easier to clean up (someone else with a 22SSV stated that to me in another thread).

Anyway, I do have 300lbs of lead and a spare 400lb sac (the stock rears), that I can move around and see what works best.

I would say that when I was out last, I had the 1100 up front and probably about 1200 in the rear. I will try filling the rear more next time to see what difference it makes. As well as adding weight to the bow and check it as well.

I will post more as I play more and I will try to make this thread worth a d*mn by posting some pics. :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-06-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
I had the upgraded 1100 in the belly, v-drvie sacs int the rear ( 500lbs/per) another v-drive sac on the rear bench and a another v-drive sac int the bow. I had 7 people in the boat...that wake was big but washy, and the boat handled very bad....I do have the 07, and changes were made ( rudder and hull) in 08.

My current setup gives me great gas mielage. I do have the 340 and upgraded prop.

My 04 SSV liked a little more weight up front to help roudn it, not this 07 for some reason??

Diggs has his 07 dialed pretty good.

I like mine the way it is now. I replaced the rear bags with v-drvie sacs ( subs take up the space where the longer stock sacs went) upgraded front bag and usually throw another v-drive sac on the rear bench if it's onlya few people.

(Message edited by acurtis_Ttu on May 06, 2008)
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
Dave,

we have a 07 and opted not to go with the 08 due there were no significant changes to the boat. Mainly just cosmetic (hinges upgraded, steering wheel, trim). We run about 3,400lb in ours at a 50/50 ratio and the wake is pretty money. Plate will vary depending on what the rider likes for lip.

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-07-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
DRA, there were changes made to the rudder in 08, as well as minor hull changes. If you get a chance drive an 08 with 2500lbs+ ballast in turns and you'll notice the change.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-07-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
I heard about the rudder but I am curious what the minor hull changes were and how it affects driveability and the wake.

Sounds like DRA has that thing sacked out. What speed and line length are you running to handle that much weight and keep things clean?
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
We have actually took some weight out and found it to be a little better. Last season we had it just a hair over 4,000 lb. But we had to keep the speed at about 25.5 to keep the wake money at 80'. We ride now at about 24 mph and most of the crew are 75' to 80' back.
I only put about 80 lb up in the true nose of the boat. the remainder of the 440lb goes right in front of the drivers helm and the glove box. The 520lb in the rear gets divided in the rear lockers. 80 lb against the transom and 120 lb under the rear seats under the front of the bags. Then I have a 60 lb bar centered on the motor in each locker. Then I have 120 lbs to move around the cockpit to equal out the wake. So total we are about 3,460 in weight and usually ride with 4 to 5 in the boat and I have 7 batteries backing the tunes.
I have had no problem getting on plain but it is a little sluggish in the turns (understandably). Still turns fine but has the famous weighted boat roll on to the side that my wife hates.
I am thinking about doing what you did with the front bag and add a separate pump just for that. I usually fill each independently and that seems to be pretty quick compared to opening all 3 at once. Let me know what you find I am playing with weight from time to time so we will be trying another combination in two weeks to see what happens.
The rudder changes were made in mine already so that is the same, In talking with Skiers Choice there were no changes to the hull for 08 but the paddle wheel moved. There could have been some last minute changes but I have not heard that there were.

Our first 07 with 1800 lbs and Gravity III bags.

Upload
Upload

Photo by WCW, Rider Joel DeRoche (CWB Faction rider)line length 85' or 90' at 27.5mph

(Message edited by deltariderscom on May 07, 2008)
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Did anyone ever say what the hull changes were on the 08?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
I rode Adam's 07 a few weeks back loaded out and it was nice. I have a 24 and am trying to decide if I want to go to the 08 22SSV or God help me....... get a VLX.
There are a few others I want to try but of the boats I have been behind these are my choices.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-07-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
Gene you need to get back out with me. I have added more weight to the front and the wake has been very nice the last few weekends. I am running about 3000 lbs, 23 MPH, at 75 ft with the wakeplate at 75%. Still playing around a little with the speed and wakeplate depending on the rider and the amount of people on board.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
When are you riding man? I would love to!
Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       05-07-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
hey patrick how are you weighting your boat and is that 75% up on the wakeplate.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-07-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
DRA - That first pic is outstanding
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
Gene, a VLX? well you are on hubbard now....
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-07-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Yeah man I just really like the way the boat is not sensitive side to side. Some boats foam at the wake wen you move a butt cheek. I really like the layout of the Supra though. How are you enjoying yours? Which by the way I have not been behind..... hint hint...
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
Yea, the vlx is an easy wake to keep good fo sho... I had a hard decision when I got the Supra but I've got it dialed in now and can keep it right most of the time. I'm out of commision right now for a couple more weeks with another dislocated shoulder, the other one, but I'll be out at hub this weekend so hit me up if your out and I'll give you a pull
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
27.5? ... damn u boys are looking to break some necks
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-07-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
ya tanner now he ride at 29mph
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Gene,if my knee is feeling better by this weekend I will be out on Lewi on Sat A.M. and maybe Sun as well. I will hit you up once I figure out my plans if you want a pull.

Chad, I am using the 2 stock sacs out of the rear up in the nose of the boat, 400 lbs each. They fit under the front side cushions and I fill them manually. I still have the stock sac in the middle, but may upgrade to the larger GG sac at some point. I replaced the rear sacs with the GG sacs- 750 lbs each in the back. I have found that it is hard to get the wake to clean up with that much weight in the front with the wakeplate above 60% or more. I like a firmer wake with not much lip, so at 75% and 23 MPH it is just right for me with the weight setup. 100% is all the way down when you start out, so I think you were referring to 25% which will make the wake very steep and lippy in my experience. Hope it all makes sense and I am open to others suggestions on how they have it dialed in. I have been working on it for the last month or so. I can get the wake to clean up with a lower wake plate setting, but I have to increase the speed and line length as i do it. I am comfortable at 75 feet and 23 for the most part.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-12-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
I played a little more with the weight this weekend and had a little bit of a difficult time although lake conditions weren't the best.

Ran the 1150 in the front along with a 300lb bag in the front seating area. I also had two bags in the rear filled to about 750lbs each. That put us at about 3000lbs. We played with the wakeplate however at 23mph, 70' is about the length I had to ride to keep it clean and not way too lippy.

If we put the plate down, it took some of the lip off but it got a little washy, if we put it up, there was way too much lip at 75' to throw you off balance.

I then went back to just the 1150 in the front and about 550 in each rear for about 2250. Wake was pretty nice at 23' with wakeplate at 15-25%. It seemed if I put it down more than that, it made it a little washy. At 75 I couldn't clean it up at 23... had to go faster.

It was a bit choppy and it takes time to play around but this is my findings so far.

I am sure I just haven't found the sweet spot as a few of you seem to have it dialed in. Regardless, I can get it really nice at 70' without a ton of weight. I just want to get to 75'.

While this wake may be narrower than the 24SSV, it is definitely much more of an up and wake to wake shape. I am definitely going higher and not as far which is actually desirable for me as it gives my slow a** time to do something in the air. ;)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-12-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
speed up.....it will solve all your problems...

I run 1150 in the belly and then run 300 lbs in lead and put most of it under the belly bag. When I had it up all the way in the front it was too low up front and did not clean up real well. I then run 650's in each of the rears. My speedo says I am running 24.6-25, but it is closer to 23.5-24 actually. You can ride at 80' if you want to..... Wake plate 1/2.
My guess is check your speed with a GPS.... Don't ever trust your speedo.... just speed up and make sure you are weighted evenly and it will clean up for sure...
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       05-12-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
Diggs has it on the weight up front. I cannot put the weight all the way up front it makes the wake crumble. I have found that a 50/50 ratio makes it money from 70 to 90 feet at 24 and up with 3200lb in weight.

Here is a shot from this weekends event with 6 peeps in the boat.

Upload
Upload
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-13-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I meant to mention that I hadn't taken a GPS out with us yet and that the 23mph I had it set at did feel a tad slow so the speedo may be off a bit. We will find out for sure tonight.

I will focus on putting the front additional weight under the belly sac/right in front of the helm areas rather than in the nose.

I will let you know how that turns out. I am not complaining, just going through the normal first month on a boat trying to figure out what works best.

I will also take some of those pictures that I promised of the boat and the extra ballast pump install.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-14-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Speedo seems correct. Ran 1150 in the front bag with about 100lbs of lead spread under the helm and glove box areas as well as about 1400 in the rear. Ran at 23.4 and it was great at 70ft and not bad at 75. Just a little lippy, mainly on my toeside edge riding regular (port side). Even though the boat seems balanced (rooster tail centered and boat seems level) that port side wake does seem more lippy than the other side which is a bit more rounded. Don't know if that is because of prop rotation, but it is, ... I swear! I am getting used to it and my wife said my toesides are higher than they have ever been so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I have more lead so I am going to keep gradually increasing weight and possibly add more speed. Small, steady changes. However, riding last night was wonderful. Very poppy wake once I got used to its firmness/steepness. Definitely more of those than the 24SSV that I have ridden the past 3 years.

Also, as promised, here are a few pics of the extra pump install.

Overall Install pic (stock pump on left, new on right)
Upload

Stock manifold capped off where front bag connected
Upload

Stock pump feeding into manifold
Upload

Newly added cutoff, pump, strainer, feeding front bag.
Upload

All of this is wired into the stock 3 switches. Rear switchs open appropriate valve and turn on stock pump. Front switch opens its valve and turns on the newly added pump.

HUGE improvement. Front bag fills so quickly. Almost begs me to add a third to split the rears. ;-)
Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       05-14-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
dave i totally agree with you about the port side being a little lippy most of my buddies ride goofey and there healside just is not as clean as my healside even with the boat perfectly balanced.keep adding more weight and keep me posted, by the way what are you running your wakeplate at and have you messed with it much? here is a pic of mine i've barely got to ride behind her becuase i broke my ankle and leg into a million peices snowboarding jan.19 07 so i just got to do some surfing and a little bit of wakeskating last year. hopeing to get on my 07 shane for the first time but we will have to see if i can wakeboard again or not this year if it ever warms up here in minnesota.

Upload
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-15-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
Ran again last night and filled the rear bags a bit more and another 100lbs of lead in the helm area. At 23.4 and the wakeplate at 25%, the wake was perfect at 70ft. I didn't try 75ft since we got cut short last night but I think it would have been fine.

So, front bag 1100-1150, rear bags about 700 in each and about a total of 200 in lead split between the drivers feet area and under the glove box area. So around 2700lbs.

Some observations when playing with the wake plate.

1) Putting it down can definitely mellow out the wake however too far down can make some wash on the top. 25% in this config seemed great. Still steep and firm but no huge lip that throws you off balance.

2) I noticed that as I put the wake plate down, the rooster tail actually shifts from starboard to port. I swear this is not my imagination. The more I put the wakeplate down, the more I needed a little more weight on the port side. Once again, I am assuming this is due to the prop spin and the plate being directly behind there.

I am definitely liking this wake more than my 24SSV as I get used to it. It is no doubt a firmer wake with more upward boot. The size is pretty comparable with how I had my 24SSV weighted however the 24SSV is definitely a much larger transition and not nearly as steep. \

Hopefully this is providing useful and I will keep posting as I keep playing. :-)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
Dave, just FYI, I had one of the screws that holds my wakeplate cynlinder to the plate back out , causing the plate to be uneven.
Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
i found the 24ssv wake to be skinnier than the 22ssv but it had more transition.