Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-18-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
Can anyone provide feedback on the Box Anchor (http://www.boxanchor.com/box.asp) for anchoring a wakeboard boat? I'm curious as to how well they really work. I like the way you can fold them up and stash them when you're not using them. Thanks.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       07-18-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
The best....hands down.

After watching my dad suffer with every anchor possible over the past 25 years, he then switched to one to anchor his 27' boat.

So when it came time to buy one for our Malibu, there was no question.

Stores easily. Holds in any condition we have come across. Heavy SOB though...and not cheap....$100ish at West Marine.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-18-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
I just bought one right before my shasta trip. It worked really well with the anchor buddy. Held great the entire trip. I really like how it folds up is easy to store. We didn't really get any huge wind or rollers to truely test it but from what i've heard it will work.
Old    tigejohn21i            07-18-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
The Shore Spike is cool as well.. no need to carry a hammer :-)
Old    kellywb            07-18-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
I guarantee once you use one you will never go back! They hold on anything we have out here in SoCal and store flat. They are a little heavy and sharp. Not sharp to cut you but sharp enough that I do not want to drop it on the swim step or vinyl. They come with a nice storage bag. Make Tyler give you a deal on one!

Kelly
Old     (scws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-18-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
David,

I love them...have had great luck. I spend time at the river with the current and have had no problems. I used to have the old danforth style and my anchor would pull.

Go with the size they recommend..it is plenty.

Josh
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
Nothing better...........

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-18-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
Dave,

Just like everyone else said, and better. And the shore spike/anchor buddy is the hot set-up. Let me know if you want to borrow mine and give it a try. No better set-up. A buddy was using the same box anchor as mine, and was holding his, and 2 other boats in the current of the river. Nice not to deal with that damn anchor chain too! Let me know. I have the anchor, anchor buddy, sand spine, and beach line (from spike to boat). Give it a try.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-18-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the offer. I'm already a big fan and owner of the spike and the Anchor Buddy (although I did lose one along with my old anchor at San V a couple of weeks ago). I think I'll be ordering my box anchor ASAP. You guys have sold me!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
David, just a final note- I had my boat and my friends vlx tied behind me on the colorado river (6mph current)tied off to my box anchor. Didnt budge!!
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-19-2005, 5:27 AM Reply   
I have had my box anchor now for over 1 year.
I got it after a win storm at lake Mohave last year took my new Tige for a ride about 100yards down the beach (I got lucky, as the win was pulling it parallel to the shore so no damages)

On our last trip the box anchor did slip
The wins got up to 30mph and I had to take down the bimini top
(We where with 3 other boats, they had fluke anchors that came completely out. I just moved about 5 feet. The bottom was sandy with a lot of plants)

David
}
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
I have been looking for a reliable anchor as well. Have been looking at the digger anchor? There are some raves as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=26446&item=45 62984314&sspagename=WDVW

Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have a box anchor for my 98 SNOB which is 19.5 an about 2400 lb dry. It worked great even at a Mohave wind storm. But with my 05 wLSV (3900 lb dry) no dice. It slips a lot. So what works for me is that I bought 13 pound anchor for West Marine and added 20 feet of heavy chain and it works great. It sets easy and is hard to pull up. Also works great at Park Moabi in a heavy current. I only use the box anchor now when we go to Sand Bar.

(Message edited by Romi on July 19, 2005)
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-19-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is that with the box anchor, you don't need as long a lay...the boat can be pretty close to the anchor. With the regular old school anchor, it digs best when the line is almost parallel with the floor of the lake: they dig better when they're farther out. Pick up the box anchor, throw it out and tie the rope down. If the anchor is all but straight under you, it will slip, but nothing like a regular digging anchor. I love mine. Also have the spike. Nice stuff.