Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pavsek1)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-15-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
I will be moving to Oahu at the end of June. I was wondering where would be a good place to board or if anyone could help me out finding someone to wakeboard with.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       03-15-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=927544

do a search, lost of post in the past
Old     (pavsek1)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-16-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
What would you prefer?
Old     (OffTheLip)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-17-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavsek1 View Post
I will be moving to Oahu at the end of June. I was wondering where would be a good place to board or if anyone could help me out finding someone to wakeboard with.
What part of the island are you going to be on?

There's not a lot of boarding going on there.

Try Kaneohe Bay if on the East side.

Along the south shore there may be some in Hawaii-Kai, or at least just outside the harbor, inside the reefs.

Best bet for flat water is near Ala Moana, Sand Island/Airport area, or Pearl Harbor. Don't know what the rules are in those areas but that's pretty much it for finding smooth water. Anywhere else is going to be open water.

A lot of the guys just migrate over to kite surfing.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-17-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
Jacob,
The best place to ride on Oahu is Keehi Lagoon at the birm but you need to be a member, or be with someone who's a member to use the docks at that site. Most of the people in the clubs are really chill and it wouldn't be tough to hook up with a few of them once you're over there.

The website for the OWSC is www.oahuwaterskiclub.com. There's also 2 other clubs called Na Alii and Hawaii Water Ski.

The site has a jump, 6 ball slalom course and a rainbow slider.

However, because of the recent Tsunami events, some damage has been done to the clubhouses and docks which will be repaired over the next month or so.

Some people also launch their boat in Kaneohe Bay, but you have to get lucky with the wind to get good water, or just go early.

Don't bother with Koko Marina in Hawaii Kai. The rules are strict (can't ballast boats and must drive in circles) so the water isn't great for riding. Plus with all the commercial boats going in and out all the time, it's always rolly.

You can't ride at Ala Moana or Sand Island. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. Otherwise, have a great move over to the islands!

Aloha,

Ryan
Old     (pavsek1)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-18-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
I will be in Mililani, kinda in the middle of the island. Basically I am trying to ride whatever I can because i really don't want to give up wakeboarding.

Ryan,

Thanks a lot for all the information. This should hopefully help me in finding someone to ride with or somewhere to ride at least.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-18-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
You're welcome Jacob. BTW, my family lives in Mililani.
Old     (pavsek1)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-21-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
That's awesome. How long have they been there for?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-24-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
I'm from Hawaii, grew up in Honolulu (Salt Lake/Moanalua area). My parents moved to Mililani back in 1995.