Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-03-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
Finally! For us kneeboarders, wakeboarders, and hydrofoilers in the Southern New England area, my dad and I have worked with our local CC dealer, the state, and Tom and Dianne Peterson who run the New England INT to convince them to bring an INT down into CT! I know there are a lot of boarders on Candlewood for instance that feel like we're left out of all the events, I'm one of them. So to all Candlewood Lakers, I send a special invitation out to you because this lake has long awaited an event like this and has desperately needed one.

The wait is over! INT will be coming to Coventry, a relatively small lake just north of Hartford. This location is new to INT and seems to be an ideal spot. So anyone in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and even some of PA, NH, and VT, this event is for you! Mark your calanders for July 15-17.

To give an idea of where it is, about 1 1/2 hrs northeast of Candlewood Lake, and practically in Hartford's backyard.

For more details, please feel free to email me anytime at eaglex9@nyc.rr.com
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-04-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
No one here from Candlewood Lake, Lilinonah, Zoar? I find that hard to believe. I've talked to some...
Old    gobiggrom54            04-04-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
I just have a question. I'm 14 and can go really big, do w2w 180's and a lot of other little tricks, 50/50 grind, and am extremely close to prefecting a backroll.

Does anyone know where i would fare in any of these kinds of competitions?
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-04-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
Hey Max, where in the city do you live? I'm in NYC also.

Well I'm 15 now and I competed for the first time when I was 13 skysking in the New England INT. It was the greatest experience foiling ever. Greatest minute behind the boat.

You would probably be in one of the best levels and most likely be the Big Man On Campus if you as good as you say you are...

I'm on the Upper West Side, you? And where do you ride?
Old    gobiggrom54            04-05-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
im in connecticut but i ride in canada in the summers but i want to ride at home this spring and maybe go to a wake camp in florida in the beginning of the summer. Do you know any good places to go wakeboarding around the area, like a waterski center or something?
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
The first time I ever rode behind a boat was on Coventry Lake around 1980.I have been near or on the water ever since.Go So.Windsor Bobcats!
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
In CT, there's Bantam Lake and they have a ski club. We tried to get INT there, but it was just a little too south for them. Bantam is small, but their club is supposed to be real nice. I'm thinking of joining. And they put on a show every year that is supposed to be real fun. I'm on Lilinonah and Candlewood if you are near there.
Old    gobiggrom54            04-05-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
im on the border of ny and ct so that stuff is kinda far but do u know any wevsites where i can find out about these places?

(Message edited by gobiggrom54 on April 05, 2005)
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
Well I don't know about slaloming, but Axis Board School is up here in CT by me, but unfortunately I don't know of any other place... sorry
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-05-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
From seeing a lot of INT riders, I would guess you would be Intermediate to Advanced rider, depending if you land the backroll. It's been a while since I judged any sort of INT wakeboarding though.
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-05-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
Die INT.
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Sam there was absolutely no reason to say that. I was the one who wen't out and convinced and help New England INT come down here. They are already nervous about it b/c last time one was down here, it didn't work out. Now he made the dates specifically so it would be warm enough and towards the beginning of the Summer so he has the biggest chance of getting new riders. I said I'd help him get as many people as possible. I don't need like you trying to stop others from having a good time and make another miserable INT here in CT. If you have nothing nice to say about it, then just shut up and don't come. Thanks.

I'm taking this event real seriously. And even though I won't be there, I won't stand for this childish slander. You say you're 26, so act it. You shouldn't need to be told how to act online by a 15-year-old.

(Message edited by abundiga909 on April 05, 2005)

(Message edited by abundiga909 on April 05, 2005)
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-05-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
BTW, no hard feelings here, I just don't want people deciding not to go because people hate the INT. I don't want to give the INT a bad rep when they don't deserve it. I have a blast there and can't imagine anyone not.
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-06-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
I live in GA, so I sure am not going to come. You should have just put on your own tourney...you would save all of the participants and yourself a lot of money. There is nothing that you couldn't do on your own with the help of a local shop that can be done with the INT name tacked on to it. The whole INT is a scam, I still can't figure out why no one else has figured this out. You are forced to pay them a franchise fee for what? They don't help with any of your local sponsors. If you are well enough conected in the area, you can pull a tourney series off on your own...especially if it's wakeboard only. Now if you want to have a kneeboard and ski division, INT is your gig.

I wish you the best of luck on your touneys, it's always great to see grss root stuff.....but I don't can for the INT and the folks that run it.

DOWN WITH INT<

(Message edited by snead on April 06, 2005)
Old    svfara            04-06-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
That sounds cool.
Do you know if it will be wakeboard onw day, ski the next, or is it wakeboarding both days?
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-06-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
Sam I don't know if you've ever tried to put on a sucessful competition on your own but it's not that easy. Hell, it wasn't that easy just getting INT to do it!

We are considering doing another event with our dealer, but that is expecting to mainly be about charity, not a tournament. When the INT does it, they cover all of the important needs. Insurence is very hard to get in this area. Also, there was a disaster a long time ago. Some newbs tried to put on a competition in this area and it couldn't have gone worse. No one had permits for anything, such as a course, excesive speed, etc... One driver was so stupid he actually hit a skier/boarder picking him/her up. Later that night the cops cought kids smoking pot and underage drinking out on the lake near the course that they didn't have a permit on. So to get the state and DEP to allow an event, they would need a famous organized leage such as INT that has a reputation for being organized and safe. Also, I don't think anyone would go to "Austin's Exhibition Tournament." I don't even think I would go to "Austin's Exhibition Tournament."

So there's a lot to consider when putton on an event. We did get a checklist of how to organize a grass roots event off of AWSA site. It did help. But this is our first competition we've ever helped try to put on, so I think we'll start slow, and maybe next year we will move on to something else. I like to call this a "package deal" for us b/c once we get INT to come down, which we have, its all them from here...:-)
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-06-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
It's not what you know...it's who you know. If you know the right people, anything is possible.

That is creative name you came up with...you should be in marketing.

wakeboardatlanta.com
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-06-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
Haha, yes very crative of me, one of my best works...

One of the main points of this is to get to know people in the area. Right now I don't know enough. I mean I know all the dealers and shops and stuff, but I would really like to know the boarders and people individually. By having INT come down and being known for helping this happen, maybe next year they will know me enough that I could put my own competition on.

BTW, this is not a slalom INT. It is a wakeboard, kneeboard, hydrofoil Double Header.
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-12-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Sorry Eric, my mistake. Just wen't to Coventry to meet with everybody and it is actually going to be wakebaoard/kneeboard/hydrofoil one day and slalom the next.
Old    svfara            04-12-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
That's cool, thanks for the update man
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-12-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
No prob.