Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-16-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
My mother has worked in hospitals from the time she graduated nursing school in the late 70's.
She has worked e.r. o.b. n.i.c.u.
She has a b.s. in nursing
she has a m.s. nursing edu.
She was laid off three months ago.
Her insurance has run out.
Her health ins. bill a month ago (for her and my father) was a bit over 400 a month
She had her hip replaced six years ago.
Back was fused twice before she graduated h.s.
her meds have given her a heart palpatation.
so she needs meds for that too.
SO SHE IS A WALKING PRE EXISTING CONDITION.
She got a notice from her ins. stating that her bill next month will be 1400 THATS FOURTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH NOT INCLUDING CO PAYS!

So do not feel bad for me or her, just stop asking me to feel bad for your sick relatives and friends.

WE the WORKING CLASS could use a little help.

I still want to take out osama.
I still want to reform immigration
I still think you should be able to own fire arms.

I just want my mom to be able to go to the DR. when she needs.

Wish I had ins. but at least I am young........for now.......
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-17-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Doesn't she Qualify for Cobra it should cover for 18 months after her lay off. Its a shame that even if the idiots pass the health care bill it wont even start to help for 4 years. With out knowing whats in the bill my bet it wont help at all.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-17-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
I still want to take out osama
I still want to reform Immigration
I still think you should be able to own fire arms
I still want health care reform

I do not however want a bill rammed down our throats that knowbody has any idea of the impact it will have, how much it will actually cost, or what the exact outcome on HC will be. It may lower heathcare bills on the front end, but you will still pay for it on the back.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
I don't feel your pain yet, but I'm headed there. My mom was diagnosed with Lupus. She is unable to work, already paying her own insurance, and running out of money. She has applied for disability and been denied, so she's applying again. If this doesn't come through, my sister and I will likely be paying the bills soon. Last weekend she lost her home, along with all of her savings that she put down on the home before the real estate bust, so we moved her in with my sister and her family. I'm just praying that her insurance doesn't hit 1400 per month. That would make me feel like flying a plane into a building!
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Careful what you wish for:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100317/...aul_fact_check

yes, that article states that under obamacare, premiums will likely rise for individual plans. It may get you better coverage, don't expect premiums to drop.
Old     (jyoungusa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-17-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I don't feel your pain yet, but I'm headed there. My mom was diagnosed with Lupus. She is unable to work, already paying her own insurance, and running out of money. She has applied for disability and been denied, so she's applying again. If this doesn't come through, my sister and I will likely be paying the bills soon. Last weekend she lost her home, along with all of her savings that she put down on the home before the real estate bust, so we moved her in with my sister and her family. I'm just praying that her insurance doesn't hit 1400 per month. That would make me feel like flying a plane into a building!
I am all for healthcare reform, but lets use a little common sense- access is only part of the problem. Out of control costs must be curtailed - no tort reform; not stopping the waste, not containing out of control drug costs. Why does it cost more to purchase drugs here in the states than it does in other countries - the R&D and testing is the same for the consumer
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-17-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
She does qualify for Cobra unless she works for a non-profit organization. But that's why her HI is $1400/mo. You pay the full amount plus admin fee. The fancier your HI is at your job the bigger the hit if you need to use Cobra.

The US pays double per capita for health care than any other nation and has no better or lower life expectancy than the average. We've priced ourselves out of decent care and the quite frankly the monetary incentives in the industry deny us of alternative cures which are real but ignored.

Jarrod, ask the doc what causes Lupus, they don't know. My wife was diagnosed with a cousin of Lupus called Pimphigus and prescribed substantial amounts of Prednisone. Fortunately she didn't take it because 6 years later we found out she really had Lyme, which is a bacterial infection. Prednisone reduces the immune system and would have only made the Lyme worse. When it comes to autoimmune the doctors don't know a thing about what they are doing.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-17-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Do your parents qualify for Medicare? Did she belong to a RN Union? Has she looked at other policies before her COBRA runs out?
These are other avenues to look at for insurance coverage.
Do your parents & other family members live in CA? CA is the only state I'm aware of that allows people to add their parents on to their healthcare insurance policies.... if they are dependants that is.

Many time MDs can only accurately diagnosis & treat patients if they fully disclose information of their health issues .
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-17-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Just because they are saying they will provide free heath care for pre-existing conditions does not mean you will get treatment for them.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-17-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
I used to work for a large health insurance company in group billing and I never saw any employer group have premiums (for individuals or families of 10) that were $1400 a month. Yes employers can charge a COBRA admin fee, but it's max is 2% of the premium which is hardly anything.

$1400 a month for two people is crazy if they were on a group plan. Individual plans are a whole other beast...

Also, if she was involuntarily terminated from her position, she qualifies for the temporary reduction in COBRA costs which are just 35% of the full (normal) price. Original length of the subsidy was 9 months, but it has recently changed due to an extension

BTW -I am now in charge of the health insurance for my current employer and we don't charge the 2% COBRA admin fee. 99% of people on COBRA are out of work, and IMO, they don't need to be paying more.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Jetskipro,
You're looking at one family that pays 1301.00/month for me, my wife and daughter and I am in a group plan. I am the group administrator and business owner.
It's rape.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-17-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
cobra is what she is going to lose I think.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-18-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Well Patrick, now you have. I pay $1625/mo for a family plan on my employer's ins plan. $975 is my contribution and the company pays the remainder.
Old    deltahoosier            03-18-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
What is the cost of the bills per year for your usage?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-18-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
The cost per year is not directly related to amount I pay per month. The cost is higher than normal because I work for a company that only has a few employees. Our office manager is a young man in his 20's with a wife and kids. He can't afford the ins so isn't in the plan.