Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-05-2012, 9:53 PM Reply   
Anybody have a front hitch on a late model Avalanche, Tahoe, or Suburban? I want to put one on my Avalanche but don't want the low hanging one that Curt offers model #31012. I want it to go behind a flip down license plate so that it is completely concealed except when there is a receiver in it.

Anybody?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-06-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
Unfortunately that may be a custom job. Front hitches I see for most trucks, when you can even find them, are usually not that elegant as there's typically a lot of things to get around up front... Steering box, steering linkages, rad support, curved/odd shaped frames compared to rear, crumble zones (on newer light duty trucks), etc. So maybe a custom job and depending on the frame (I'm not too familiar with newer GM frames) may require eliminating the crumble zones with bracing in order to do it how you want.

Good luck in your search though, maybe someone else knows of something.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-06-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Looks like they have what you need. I would at least call and see what your options are. http://www.realtruck.com/hidden-hitc...medium=Website
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-06-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
My suggestion would be a front receiver winch mount. I have seen these before so you can mount winch on front or rear of truck.

May I ask why you need this.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-06-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
I'm not sure about the frame and front end differences between the NBS (00-06) and the NNBS (07-current) Tahoes, however the guys over on TahoeYukonForum.com will point you in the right direction.

I have a Hidden Hitch Font End Receiver (part no 65023) for sale on craigslist ...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2837241787.html

The install for me required drilling two holes in the frame and then cutting the lower valence to allow the receiver to pass through. On my Tahoe, the spot where it passed through was slightly lower than the license plate so a flip-down plate would not have completely covered it up.

Hope whatever it is your working on goes well for you ...
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
He needs it because it's probably easier to get his trailer positioned back pushing it rather than pulling it.

I put one on my truck and I can EASILY push my boat wherever it's needed, and not do the 47 point turn that I used to be doing.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-09-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
I am going to buy a power mover (ac5) specifically for this purpose. I just missed a used one on Craigslist a couple weeks ago. Maybe this is an option for the OP as well.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-09-2012, 4:00 PM Reply   
for those of us with boats in storage units, the front hitch is a godsend at the end of a long day on the water. That power mover looks sweet, but way more expensive than the $150 I spent on a front receiver.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-13-2012, 12:13 AM Reply   
I need it to push the boat up into my side yard. I can do it with my Tahoe and my Avalanche but I am tired of pushing it by hand the last part of the way or tearing up my landscaping. The incline up the grass is too steep for a tug, it won't have enough traction, can't even do it with a 2wd truck. I also like to use 4 low so I can creep it between the fence opening that only leaves 1" on each side for error. It's really threading the needle, so much so that I don't even like people helping since they don't understand the arc that the boat must go in at so it doesn't hit the gas meter, fence, or house.

The big bush that keeps me from getting my truck straightened up is even bigger this year so I think it's time to add the front hitch to my truck and make my life that much easier. I don't see a front hitch from hidden hitch but Curt has one that I can pick up for $135 new shipped to my door. This hitch hangs very low below the bumper but I will probably cut it up and move the receiver up behind the license plate. For $135 I can't even buy the metal parts to build my own so it's a good deal just buying this one and turning it into what I want. There was a guy that posted his setup on the Avalanche forum, he had a custom one welded to his frame built for $300. I am not too excited about welding it to the frame.

Last edited by mikeski; 02-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.