Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-18-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
I bought a used baggy-style drysuit off e-bay and it arrived yesterday. So off to Lake Mead I go today. Water was 67 degrees and pure glass over the entire Overton Arm, BTW. I wish it were like this all summer. Air temp was 75 degrees and not a bit of wind. So I put on the drysuit, wearing only my regular swimtrunks underneath. By the time I got the thing completely done up and board on, I was pretty warm. I think I was sweating a little bit before I hit the water. I felt like the seals were tight, and I even had to pull on the neck a little to release some air after I put on my life jacket. After my run, I unzipped and I felt like I was wet. Sure enough, my chest and legs looked wet but my swimsuit felt dry. Is this normal if you don't wear a shirt under a drysuit? Do you guys usually wear some type of long-johns underneath?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-18-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
Dude, water 67 and air 75 = trunks, no wonder you were wet, you were sweating.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-18-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Who wears dry suit at lake mead. The water temp is awsome!!!!
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-18-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
That's some funny shiot there!! I don't care who you are......
a wetsuit(shorty) would even be way to hot.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-18-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
1) See above.
2) If you are going to wear a vest (which I do not, as that air floats you pretty well) wear it under the suit.
3) If you punch the wake or take a good header you will leak a little bit.
4) When the water is actually cold you might want to wear a sweatsuit or Under Armor to keep the chill of the water through the suit off you.
5) See above posts and grow a pair!! I trunked 61 degree water today and it felt great.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-18-2006, 10:34 PM Reply   
I don't think the air even got to 75 degrees all season when we were riding. Usually the water was warmer than the air... and let me tell you the water never got too warm.

who needs a drysuit really...?
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-19-2006, 1:29 AM Reply   
sam bro...wtf? we need to ride amd show you some ropes
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-19-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
your body was wet and your trunks were not? could This have been because you were sweating your a$$ off !!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-19-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
not to say that this guys wasn't sweating, but i've often come out of drysuits with my legs, arms and body wet, but my shorts dry. water does get in through the neck, wrist and ankle seals. fortunately, there isn't a waist seal so that area stays dry most of the times.
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-19-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
Sam, next time you go out give Jonny and I a shout. You probally won't need the drysuit until the middle of Dec.through Feb. We are just starting to bust out the spring suits, which isn't really needed. You can reach me at 702-241-0071 and we are going out today. Later
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-19-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
Feel free to let one fly while in the ds, your bros will apprectiate whey they unzip it.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-19-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I know it was warm, but I wanted to try out the drysuit to see how it worked. I have been acclimatized to 100 degree air and 76 degree water, so this is starting to feel a little cool to me. A shorty wetsuit would have been just fine, though. I rode Lake Medina in Texas all winter long last year with just a shorty, and the temps there are about the same as Lake Mead. But in January it was still cold, and when you can pick up a drysuit for cheap, why not?

Jeremy and Jonny-
I will have to hook up with you guys this winter. It's been difficult because I usually end up going last minute and since we are only 15-20 minutes from the Overton marina, it is very convenient from here. However, the wife and kids are probably not going to brave the cool winter weather much, so I will need to hook up with you guys. Thanks for the invite.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-19-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
"If you are going to wear a vest (which I do not, as that air floats you pretty well) wear it under the suit."

Bad advice; regarding not wearing a life jacket. The reason is because a seal can blow and fill your suit in a matter of seconds. He even followed it up by saying it can take on water. Wear your lifejacket!

Good advice; with a baggy suit is to wear the lifejacket inside your drysuit. Definitely squat down and bleed the air out through the neck seal. Even once you are in the water you can stand straight up and down and get the remaining air out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-19-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
tackleberry, i've done that! haha!

peter, question for you. let's assume for a minute that the person wore a vest under the drysuit, the seal blew and the suit filled with water. are you absolutely sure that the person won't sink? i'm just thinking if a suit is filled with enough water, with or without a vest, it'll sink.

no, i'm not suggesting not wearing a vest. riders should wear a vest everytime they ride.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-19-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
leave the air in. When you take a hard fall, your airbag will protect you.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-19-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Joe, neutral bouyancy.

I have ridden with someone who blew out a seal (have only seen this once), The suit did start to fill, but not in seconds, as Peter suggests. We got back to the rider, water had reached just below his waist.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-19-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Drysuit full of water will hurt mobility, not bouyancy. Same thing with clothing.

Also, the drysuit does not offer much insulation. When you go in actual cold water, you will feel cold on any part of your body exposed to the suit. In really cold water, it feels like it is leaking.

Oh yeah, don't forget to leave the zipper slightly unzipped for the drysuit rookies. You need to keep these things ventilated!!

(sorry, I forgot hazing is illegal).
Old    mendo247            11-19-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
neutral bouyancy is right, you cant sink water in water lol... ever drop a half filled fat sac in the water?? i have as a test and it doesnt sink..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-19-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
i understand that, but if you factor in a person in the drysuit?
Old    mendo247            11-19-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
hmm.. well a person will sink regardless, the only difference with a drysuit filled with water on would be the xtra weight of the dry suit (2 lbs?) and obivously slightly more difficult to swim.. joe come to the turkey day get together and ill jump in with my dry suit unzipped!
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-19-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
if the person was wearing a life vest under the suit they would definitely float. Without a vest, I cant say because i dont know if you would be able to tread water in a dry suit completely full of water, seems possible tho.
Old    wakeboardbum0712            11-19-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
I would have been sweating! I went in only board shorts and vest when it was 60 degrees outside! Not the long shorts either. I got used to the water. its 41 out right now and i want to ride so bad, but dont have a dry suit
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-19-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
So instead of a seal blowing how about a seam? That will fill it in a couple of seconds. I tore my O'Neill suit at a seam.

Edit: A fin can do all kinds of damage!

Joe, with a jacket on they will float even in a fully filled drysuit. Take the jacket off and they will be in trouble.

(Message edited by Peter_C on November 19, 2006)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-19-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
I suppose if you ride with fins that you could possibly tear a seam.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
"Take the jacket off and they will be in trouble."... Now I'm not saying don't wear a vest under your dry suit, that's just plain stupid, but I still don't think a non injured person with no vest will be in "trouble" if the suit fills with water. A little harder to tread water, maybe, but in trouble...I doubt it. We may just have to have Richard settle this one once and for all next weekend?

(Message edited by wake_upppp on November 19, 2006)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-19-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
Sparky, we are talking worse case scenerio or why would anyone bother to wear a lifejacket? You could probably get away without ever wearing one ever, but you might not either.

For instance, I have never been in an accident where a seatbelt was needed...should I not bother to wear mine? The answer is no, and it is the law!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-20-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
two people are wearing a drysuit. one has vest on, the other does not. the person wearing the vest ALSO has 37 cents in change in his boarshort pocket secured under the drysuit. if both people jump in the water simultaneously, while the person wearing the vest is in the pacific time zone and the person sans vest is in the central time zone. The wind is blowing at 10 mph on the lake where person without the vest is and the tide is coming in at the other. It should also be noted that one is jumping out of a nautique, the other out of a mastercraft.

Who will sink quicker?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-20-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Who needs a dry suit?

PS wear a jacket it could save your life.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/390665.html?1164030176
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-20-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
people never seize to amaze me. You gotta be just stupid to ride a dry suit without a vest. Of course, like Ron White says, "You cant fix stupid..." People that claim the air inside will keep them afloat??? Hit a double up and crash with a suit full of air, can anyone say !POP! Besides, chicks dig vests!

On another note, im sooooo psyched, i just happen to look for a dry suit on ebay and won one for 60 bucks, and its brand new! Whats even cooler is, that its military issued for pilots to wear under flight suits when they fly missions over water. Checked it out, and i really think its heavy duty enough to wakeboard with. Theres a couple more on ebay right now if anyone is lookin for one. just search military immersion suit, or flight immersion suit.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-20-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Why does this come as a surprise to anyone. Wearing a vest is obviously more safe, there's no debating that, but that doesnt mean everyone is going to wear a vest. How many of you have ever ridden a bike, skateboard, etc. without a helmet or ridden in a car without a seat belt? Both helmets and seat belts could potentially save your life , heck even wearing a helmet while wakeboarding could potentially save your life but i see very few people arguing for that. Its your own decision, you can educate people as to the potential dangers but its up to them to decide what risks they want to take.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
If you smack down hard enough for !POP!, you will have more problems than just the vest.
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-20-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
This is some funny chit. On this thread we have a boarder wearing a drysuit in 75 deg weather with water temp 67 deg and on another thread we have guy trunking in snow LOL
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-20-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
first time someone used my drysuit he took it off in the water.... yeah who does that.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-20-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
Good call kevin
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-20-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
You going to turn it around now Peter? You, nor anybody else mentioned anything about "worst case scenario" in this thread. You said "with a vest your fine, without you're in trouble" regarding somebody in a dry suit full of water, period. I disagree, thats all.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Sparky, you don't suppose there is anyway you can make your points without berating anyone?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-20-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
Tackeberry, maybe you could teach me...wait, you do the same thing. lol
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
I take that to be a no. Thanks for giving us the heads up.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-20-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Sparky, when ever you talking safety equipment and it's uses it is ALWAYS worst case scenerios. Have you taken any kind of safety classes?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-20-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
A dry suit is safety equipment? Wasn't the discussion about wether you would sink or be able to float in a dry suit without a vest on that had filled with water? Peter Chandler wrote: "Joe, with a jacket on they will float even in a fully filled drysuit. Take the jacket off and they will be in trouble"...Did I miss something?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-20-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
YES! the "lifejacket" is the safety device.

So the question still remains, "Have you taken any kind of safety classes?"

Edit: Do you argue just to argue?

(Message edited by Peter_C on November 20, 2006)
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-21-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
HEY WAKEBOARDER38, I SAW THAT DRY SUIT YOU GOT. I E-MAILED THE SELLER, & HE REPLIED, "ITS NOT A DRYSUIT FOR HIGHER SPEED WATER IMMERSED ACTIVITIES. HE SAID IT WASNT THE RIGHT SUIT FOR THE APPLICATION. KAYAKING YES, WAKEBOARDING NO. CHECK OUT ADRENALINE WATER SPORTS FOR A GOOD SUIT FOR ABOUT 260.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-21-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
HERE IS THE ACTUALL DISCLAIMER FROM E-BAY

Ex-RN Aircrew Immersion Suit

Genuine ex-UK Royal Navy aircrew immersion suit from the Royal Naval Air Station at Yeovilton.

This is an 'inner mmersion suit', designed to be worn under other flying gear, so it doesn't have the usual flying suit pockets etc.

Available here with ULTRA LOW starting price and NO reserve at a fraction of its new cost.

Remember, the starting price in no way reflects the value of this item! There is nothing nasty wrong with it that I haven't mentioned.

Please note:

Though it is an immersion suit, this suit is NOT intended for watersports: fabric unsuitable etc.