Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-06-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
My wife wants a new Jeep liberty 2.8l diesel. It is rated to tow up to 5000 lbs total weight. I was wondering if anybody has towed with this vehicle. We are towing an X2 which weighs 3000lbs. What are your thoughts
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
X-2 with gas gear and trailer weighs more like 4500lbs. The Liberty has a shorter wheel base, and won't be a great tow vehicle, but if you're only towing a couple miles it might get the job done.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-07-2006, 1:50 AM Reply   
Good luck if your towing any hills, with that 2.8 as that is about half what the average person is towing a 20' boat with.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-07-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
it may pull it, but it won't stop it.. i have a hard time believing it is rated at 5k....
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-07-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
I second what Ryan said no need to max it out, don't forget to add your gear to the mix. I had to pipe and say since when does engine displacement have any thing to do with pulling a hill? Diesels make tons of torque at low rpm,also its a intercooled turbo so it shoud have no problem pulling hills. What sets a towing capicity is more often than not the brakeing capicity and frame strength not lack of power.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-07-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
The Cherokee was rated at 5000lbs but that required a weight distributing hitch (3500lbs without). Make sure the Libby doesn't have similar requirements for that 5000lbs (and DON'T trust the salesman to give you the correct info). Also, Dailmer-Chrysler has a nasty habit of giving out high tow ratings that are not much higher than the total allowed weight (weight in vehicle + weight in trailer). Make sure you're not going over either rating. That 2.8L diesel should have more than enough power to pull the boat. I'd be a little worried about the wheelbase.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-07-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
no prolbem on the tow weight, and with most trailers these days swaying shouldent be a prolbem either. I use to sell jeeps and the liberty weights almost 5000#. That is more that most other mid sized suv`s on the market. I currantly have a Jeep grand cherokee and I love the short wheel base, easy to back up.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-07-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
actually the Liberty weighs less than 4300#'s
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
The diesel liberty is in fact rated at 5k. I've been considering one myself as I only tow about a half mile down a dirt road less than 15mph. The almost 30mpg on the highway sure would be nice.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-07-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. I have a truck so towing isn't a problem. The liberty would just be the family car and it would be a plus if in fact it would pull the boat. I haven't convinced my wife that the family car should be a new Duramax.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-08-2006, 2:06 AM Reply   
Full size trucks (f30/3500 series)are rated to often tow over 2 times their weight so I realy do hate it when people start preaching about the boat weighing more then the truck... The capacity is definitely based on trailer brakes and possibly a load distributing hitch but I'll bet the tongue weight wont require one. I did miss the point about it being a diesel and Brad your right the fact its a diesel does make a difference. If its a backup i'd sure get it as long as you arent over the GVWR or the Max towed weight.