Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
C'mon ladies and girls, get in on this, I'm trying to generate some dialogue around questions about how women wish to be portrayed in the sports media, but it seems mostly guys are responding, which kind of defeats the purpose. Help me out, would ya? Thanks!!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/289680.html?1142711071

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, this comes from the thread that I've linked above:

Quote:

1) Given that we live in a society where the entertainment industry often is crass, superficial and objectifies women in order to make a fast buck (e.g., "Girls Gone Wild"), do you feel that women wakeboarders fall victim to the same sorts of problems within our industry, or to the contrary, do you generally feel you are respected for your athletic abilities as much as you should be?

2) Given the pressures on us (you) as filmmakers to make a video that respects the women and puts their athletic accomplishments foremost, but at the same time manages to get the young guys all fired up and excited, how best would you as a woman suggest that we the filmmakers try to pull this off? Can you provide us some suggestions about how best to strike this balance? In other words, how can we make it a bit sexy and fun for the guys but in a way that still works for the girls and keeps them feeling good about how are portrayed and respected. How can you ladies help us out with advice regarding this dilemma?

Please don't respond here but rather link on the thread and let us know how you would recommend approaching the issues. Thanks!!
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-18-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Maybe I'm just old school, but I would be really disapointed if there were more shots of the girls lounging than riding. I think you could strike a good balance by when you introduce each girls section, do it the same way you would do a guys, all the girls wear bikins most of the time anyway so you shouldn't have to force anything. For example, the start up intro for Wakeboarding Unleashed, they show tara hamilton driving the mastercraft, its a little sexy but its not... I dunno how to say it but over the top. I duno, I know thats pretty vague, and I'm sure most people have a very different opinion but thats just my .02
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-21-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Watching a great female rider really inspires me to try new tricks and go for big air. The guys we ride with have a much easier time getting the big air and seem to progress quicker than us so a little inspiration goes a long way. Maybe even some comments how they were able to get so good.
Old                03-23-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
Girls Gone Wild are girls who want to show off thier bodies. If a female wakeboarder is up for showing off her body she should, we work hard to look the way we do, it shows that athletic bodies are sexy...fit is sexy. I personally don't think it's a problem, almost all guys will drool over a girl whether she wants it or not. I think athletic girls (wakeboarders) are respected, not only are we fit and sexy, but we can throw down some awesome .
For the second question just portray us the same way as men, show all our hard work, show us hanging out and having a good time.
That's my thoughts anyways...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
As a dude my opinion probably wont count but I agree with all of you. I would love to meet someone who likes to ride and I would prefer her to be better than me. I work for a woman so I understand.My customers are always talking crap, but she knows more than they do. The girls I meet are so insecure they dont want to go to a lake to ride they rather go to the beach so every guy can give them the attention they think they need.A female that is secure and can do a particular sport well is attractive to me.Any female can throw on a bikini or shake their ass at a club, but a girl that can go big is hot.Like I said I work for a woman and she is treated much different than if she were a guy and Im always the first to her defense.To answer the other part of the question "How can we get guy's fired up" If the guys arent already fired up about girls that can compete then their just lame who cares.If it takes a half naked girl to fire me up then Im a sorry soul.I love woman dont get me wrong, butI get turned on by woman who are unique.Of course I like them to be cute, but they can be cute without a little bikini or shaking their ass.I like to look at hot girls to, but if it takes hot girls to strike the interest of a video then thats just lame.Just like this thread you want more females responding why? I think they want to be portrayed as they are no scripts no wardrobe just the girls.See you can even call it "Just The Girls".I hope I helped to shed some light if not good luck and GO BIG!!!
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-24-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
There is sexy and there is slutty,
enough said
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-27-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
As many of you the know me know, MOST of my regular crew are females (I know, lucky me!). Anyway, I wish I could get them to post on WW more often, because they are fantastic reps for the sport, and for females progressing in the sport. Sure, we all get the occasional male/female jokes, etc, but the bottom line is that these are some of my favorite riders to watch. I have many guys that throw down inverts, etc, but the girls definately have the stoke, determination, etc. On a lighter note, the other day we were riding in 54 degree water, 3 girls trunked it (they were really cold), and I wimped and sported a dry suit. No problem. They show me up all the time.

I will try to get them to post more.

Love my crew!

Upload