Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
I have a PCM GT350 ( it's a ford 351) . I'm now hearing a tick tick exhaust leak comming from my manafolds. Is there any tricks or tips to replacing them. Any one know the proper torque or tightening pattern. Do you think I need to replace the gasket or Mabey just snug them down. The leak or tick seems to go away after the motor warms up a bit.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-07-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
18-24 Ft Lbs Here is the manual. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downl...Msvcmanual.pdf
Page 161 has removal and install instructions.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-07-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Gaskets here http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/ Enter part # rm0007 into search.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-09-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
Jay Thanks for the Info: Looks like they want you to tighten from the center and work outward's You say in your post 18-24 Lb's So is that a range you should stay with in or just pick a number in that range and go for it?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-09-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
I'm guessing this is for the Fantastically restored Nautique? You have been so helpful to me and my gelcoat that I thought Id lend a hand from my personal experiences of changing exhaust manifolds/gaskets/headers/bolts.

As the Exhaust gasket gets older it compresses and with movement exhaust can find holes, when the engine warms up...the gasket does expand.. Expanding on the that Exhaust Manifold studs have probably gotten brittle and seized.(mine did after 1000 hours).

Here's the thing..before you go down the road with all the work.... Get a spray bottle with soapy mix.... start the engine and spray the gasket area with it... If you get bubbles then its you're gasket/bolts/manifolds...If it isn't then the fix is a bit more work to find.

Before I start tightening them, check to see what your torque is at ...Set your torque wrench at 10-15 etc and see if it clicks...

Scenario 1) If the torque wrench tells you the torque is between 10-15 then your bolts have just backed off a bit....

Scenario 2) Now, if they are WAYYYY above 18-24...they are probably Seized...... Apply PB Blaster and wait a couple hours..then re apply...It blows Liquid wrench or anything else I have used out of the park! Be very careful when working with the manifold bolts... I snapped a couple of mine in the past and getting them out afterwards is a PAIN!!!

Scenario 3)If the bolts are within spec and there is still farting I would recommend changing your gasket.... Again, be very careful when removing the manifold gasket

I hope this is a simple fix for you!

That boat of yours is RAD!
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-09-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
If it isn't your manifolds... Check your valve clearances... For instructions refer to Page 153 of http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downl...Msvcmanual.pdf as Jay found
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       10-09-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Also just as a heads up... The fuel injectors make a very similar noise to a valve tick or even exhaust leak. The Ford engine doesn't seem to be as bad as GM, but the injectors will make a "tick" noise while the engine is running.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-09-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
Good advice from all. I will do the soapy water spray bottle trick.
Jason I would think if it was a injector I would hear it evenly from all over the motor. I can hear where its coming from. It sounds like the passenger side for sure.
Nick: What's PB Blaster?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-09-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
PB Blaster is a lubricant to help unseize bolts
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-1...9#.UlWyMxCNMwA
Its as good as gold up here in Canada lol
Good luck man!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-09-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
Have you seen Grants boat? He doesn't have any rusted bolts.

But if he did, a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF works better than PB Blaster. Allot better.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-09-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
LOL, I bet they aren't rusted...Probably "stuck" the expansion and contraction combined of the head took its toll on the exhaust manifold studs. They are meant to stretch..so when you try to re-torque or loosen..after a period of time..they can snap!

Thanks for the suggestion of acetone and ATF.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-09-2013, 2:45 PM Reply   
Right on, that's funny about the rusted bolts. I don't own a can of any liqued Wrench I honestly haven't had to deal with a lot of rusty stuck stuff (thank god)" knocking on wood" I was standing in the Isle of Pep boys saying to myself what's the name of the stuff Nick said to get. I opened up the trusty phone and clicked on W/W then clicked on your Home Depot link and what do you know I was standing right in front of the stuff I needed. This stuff will sit next to the countless cans of other stuff in my Flammable Cabinet
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-09-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
That's awesome man! It works like a charm for me. Even if the bolt doesn't look super rusted..the studs that come off your engine can be..... Troublesome at times with all the heat. Would hate to see you scratch up that nice floor of yours trying to tap out those bolts!

Let me know how it goes!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
Are the Manifold Gaskets on my PCM 351 different then the automotive Manifold gaskets on a traditional non Marine ford 351.
Do I need to make a special trip to the dealer to get gaskets or can I get gaskets from the local parts store?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-10-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/manifoldgasket.aspx

It doesn't look any special to me Grant...

Or if you wanted to do it Grant Style...

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/manifol...lationkit.aspx

With all the flexing and such...especially cuz your going to keep your boat for a long time I'd do the whole kit.

Good luck man.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-10-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
I never use those chintsy paper/metal gaskets. They blow out quick especially if surfaces are not perfect. Anymore I only use Remflex exhaust gaskets. Pricey but worth every penny. They are thick graphite and compress to seal any imperfections. They seal great and hold up excellent. Great company that stands behind their product. One set I ordered USPS screwed up and they overnighted me another set at no cost. Another time a collector gasket blew out on a really thin crusty old set of headers after almost a year. This truck was abused, always shaking violenty off road, hot exhaust regularly and repeatedly submerged in ice cold water. They sent me a new set of collector gaskets at no cost when the one side blew out. Typical paper gaskets would fail after a few outings, metal gaskets lasted a couple months. Never had one fail in normal use on a more typical car, truck, or boat application. Great product and they stand behind their products. Very customer oriented small business. These are the only exhaust gaskets I buy.

Aside from that, take a line sander with 80-120 grit to the manifold flange to ensure it's flat or darn close. Use a wire wheel in a die grinder on the sealing surface of the exhaust ports of the heads. Brake cleaner and a rag to ensure both surfaces are clean. This goes a long way. May as well replace the riser gaskets while you have them off and check condition of the coolant passages in manifolds and risers. I'd sand blast and paint if they're rusty, replace if the coolant passages are real bad. Heat and PB blaster on the bolts, clean them up well before reassembly and use a small dab of antiseize on the threads for next time they need to come off.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
Looks like I have a few different choices when it comes to the rim flex gaskets I ended up getting both different sets and will return the one I don't use
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
From looking at the links that nick posted it looks like my Motor uses the Larger square exhaust port. Gaskets were $22 for each set. I wish I was able to get my hands in a set of riser gaskets so I could kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
The stock gasket
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 10-11-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-11-2013, 2:09 PM Reply   
I wouldn't worry too much about 'the best gasket', I'm on my 2nd 351 with 1000hrs and I've only needed to replace that gasket 1 time because of a leak.

Might not be a bad idea to get a new set of bolts, the hex head crumbles easily when it gets a little rusty and it's no fun to deal with that. I believe SKIDIM sells a PCM kit with all the gaskets and bolts.

For removal get a couple of 6in long bolts with a smooth shoulder and replace the bolts on each end with those. Once you remove the center bolts the manifold will slide on to those bolts. Much easier than trying to hold it yourself while you remove the last bolt, and it'shandy when you're ready to put the manifolds on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
Okay I just sat down to get started first thing I noticed was all the bolts that hold on my manifold or Alan heads. Whoops I didn't bring a socket Allen head in my tool kit. So I'm off to the hardware store I can thing I noticed was where the sound seems to be coming from the Allen head was one halfway backed out so I'm betting that's where my exhaust leak was coming from. Good news is that thing looks rusted and they look like they're all going to break free rather easy. Foil head thanks for the tip about the long bolts on the end to hold the manifold as I remove it it's a great idea.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-11-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
I had the tick tick on my old boat. it was just the manifold gasket was not put on right and had a leak.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 9:28 PM Reply   
I got it handled. That's for all the tips.
Nick; the PB worked great for loosing up the exhaust hoses. Glad I didn't need it to break any bolts loose.
Foil head; the longer bolts with the shoulder worked great to get the gasket I place and move the manifold around
Cory; the RimFlex gaskets are real nice I can see how if your head surface is not perfect the RimFlex gaskets take up all the imperfections.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 9:33 PM Reply   
While I was at it I decided to change the plugs. It made cleaning up the surface of the head real easy.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
Passenger side was super easy. Driver side bolts were a bit rusty and I decided to replace them. Do you guys use ain't seize on the bolts?
Attached Images

Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-12-2013, 4:20 AM Reply   
Yep, anti-seize on everything.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-12-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
Whoops No anti seize, bolts had to come back off and a quick trip to the store.
20 lbs sure seems light to hold the manifolds on. The bolts sure came out easy. 20lbs feels like hand tight!
So I just finished running it, sounds nice and quiet the gaskets did the trick.
Should I re torque the manifolds after a few heat cycles?
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-12-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
Couldn't hurt since it's not a big ordeal, I never have and haven't any issues.