Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    ScottRobinson            08-05-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
HELP !!

Ok last night went out. Had great time but storm rolled in. Had to drop two guys off at different dock and then had to try to beat the F ing storm to anther dock where my trailer was. So had it pegged which I know I shouldn't but had to. Storm was really bad and we didn't beat it. It was about as scared as I have been in a while. Lightning bad and thunder like a mofo along with rain that was sideways. Anyway....didn't feel anything hit, but we started to vibrate. We thought we must have hit something but at that moment I didn't care. We made it back got it up. We looked and felt the rudders and prop and looked just as new as when I got it. So my friend thought that we may have experieces High RPM balance issue. Have you ever felt that? I was running way to hard on her to save my life ...lol at least I felt that way. I was running around 5000 RPM. It wasn't a bad vibration just enough to be really freaking annoying and worrysome. I couldn't put back in after the storm to try her out again but wondering what you all thought. RPM BALANCE or did I hit something? No nicks not even a scratch on the prop. It looks brand new.... I actually hoped it was the prop cuz that is easy to fix.

I have a Merc 8.1 in my 2011 Epic 23v that has 26 hours on her. Thoughts? I was running when it started. Also I never felt a hit like you do when you hit a log it really just started to vibrate. Not supposed to go over 4500 RPM. At least that was what I was told. Thoughts?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-05-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
sounds like you just picked up a stick with the prop which will cause vibration until it is spit out when this happens to me I slow down put the boat in reverse and add power to spit out the stick as it does not take a big one to cause vibration 5000 rpm is not super high for a 350 and would bet when you put it back in the water that it is fine
Old    ScottRobinson            08-05-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
Anyone else? thoughts?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-05-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
It's hard to tell. I would put it back in the water the first chance I got, and just slowing start speeding it up, listening for anything unusual. Like Harold said, I don't think 5000 RPM would do anything to the motor and more than likely you hit something small.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
You are probably fine. You will find out next time you go out I guess. Might have picked up some grass or something on the prop and it fell off when you slowed down. A lot of people run their boats WOT a lot. That is what your rev limiter is for, not going to hurt anything. They have to make the engines idiot proof.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-05-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
It doesn't take much damage to make a prop vibrate, especially at high RPM. If it looks ok and you're still getting a vibration I'd pull the prop and have it reworked/balanced then go from there.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-05-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
prob picked up some weeds/grass something....prob be all good next time you head out.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wait till you pick up a plastic bag, you will crap your pants when that happens!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-05-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Fred LMAOROTF I to have had that happen feels like the boat is going to explode I cary a dive mask in the boat for just these reasons
Old    ScottRobinson            08-05-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
UPDATE

It is fine.... just got back, was so worried left work and took an employee with me! lol We went out and my employee was like "Whoa, this boat is sick" lol I had to laugh. My employees had never seen it, so...now I am sure they will talk...Oh well.

I must have had something in it, or something but I am all good now. Thanks guys... PLASTIC BAG? hmm might invest in a dive mask..lol Sounds not fun.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
SCOTT don't worry it was the warranty gods. they saw your tach go over 4500 and said let's scare the ***** out of him so he listens to our recommendations.LOL
Old    ScottRobinson            08-05-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
They succeeded! But I did pray to them alot over the last 12 hours. lol "please please lord, let it be nothing" guess the good lord is a BOAT OWNER !! NICE !!!!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-05-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
yup - get a decent dive mask & knife and keep somewhere on the boat - even better to have a pair of fins too.
youll be happy when that one day comes & you have em.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Dive Mask and Knife are great things to have in a boat. I should follow my own advice.