Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-14-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
thinking of replacing my wakeboard pro with the stargazer upgrade.

Is the Stargazer controlled by GPS or the boats' paddlewheel when in wakeboard mode?

seeing conflicting info about this on the PP website.

2009 Moomba Outback, drive by wire
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
It's GPS based, that's why it's called "Stargazer" instead of like the older "Wakeboard Pro" version that uses the paddle wheel. Should be plug'n play considering PP is an option over "Moomba Cruise".
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-14-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Yes, I know it's gps based.

PP has two different units with similar sounding names.

1. Stargazer Wakeboard Edition, which is sold as a complete system

2. Stargazer Wakeboard Upgrade, which only includes the module and a GPSR

Some of the info I have read on the PP website states that the wakeboard pro upgrade still uses the paddle wheel, and the gps signal updates the computer at frequent intervals.

The Stargazer Wakeboard Edition does not require a paddle wheel at all and can be removed completely from the boat...but not if you want a water temp readout.

anyone have the "Stargazer Wakeboard Pro Upgrade" and can verify that the paddle wheel is no longer used for speed?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
Option 1 is for boats with nothing at all and is a GPS based cruise control and would not use the boats existing paddle wheel, or even come with one.

Option 2 upgrades the old Wakeboard Pro, that uses the paddle wheel, to the GPS based system and will no longer need the paddle wheel. The wheel can just be left inplace.

You 09 may not even need the full Stargazer kit, being that Moomba offers is as an option, at least Pro was, and may only need the head unit and receiver. Call Moomba and or PP and ask them what you need.

Option
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-14-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
Ed, I've had the Stargazer for two seasons and it holds speed very well for surfing. It is not affected by the load or list and holds speed on a turn as well as straight. You can use it in RPM mode but the speed mode is only controlled by the GPS.
I think Zero Off would work as well but you won't get better service than PP.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-15-2009, 2:06 AM Reply   
Thanks! Zero Off wouldn't be an option. As I mentioned in my original thread, I have the wakeboard Pro, so I would get the stargazer upgrade.

I agree about PP service. This is my 2nd Moomba with a PP and I'm certainly a customer for life...of both companies :-)
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
i couldnt be happier with the stargazzer set up.
200hrs in 2 months,our old PP would have usually gone out 3 times by now