Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
Hey Guys and Girls,

Quick question for you... What do you guys use for an Anchor? Does anyone use the Anchor Buddy? What should I look for?

I'm looking to get a Sanger V215 soon... Worked out a deal already just waiting for some other details...

Thanks...
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-21-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
I use a 15lb mushroom anchor and for the very little times I anchor it works well. If you need the best get a box anchor they are awesome. And yes anchor buddies are great a lot of people use them.

www.slideanchor.com to see the box anchor
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-21-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
i use a 10# grappel anchor and it works better than any other anchor out of the boats i tie up to. and when its folded its as small as a sawed off t ball bat. it even fits in the back storage of a 2001, now thats small
here is the style i have but i think mine weighs more.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_39740?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P1_2
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-21-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Box anchor. I'll never use any other anchor again.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-21-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
I agree with Ant.The best I have used by far.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
We have a 15lb mushroom too...its coated in plastic so it doesn't really harm the boat at all either if it gets left out. works unless its REALLY windy.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
another vote for the box anchor
http://www.slideanchor.com/box.asp
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
box achor looks intresting expensive though for a anchor...
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
Expensive but well worth it.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Will that chic show you how to use it as well?

On a more serious note, out here in AZ, there is nothing at the bottom of the lakes(the bottom is very bare), and I find it hard to anchor, and when it does stick, it is on a tree or something odd, what is the trick? I have two small anchors as well as a mushroom. Sorry for the hijack, but I think that box anchor is pricey, but they are nice.
Old     (noel)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-21-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
One more for the box anchor.

www.slideanchor.com
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
Box Anchor for sure. I'm getting one for the season. I've sold more than a handful to customers and they have nothing but good news about them.

I've used the anchor buddy for about 5 years and it is awesome. I go to the Colorado River and Buena Vista here is CA and both areas are shallow when you anchor. It's nice to anchor 40 feet out and still pull up and jump off the swimstep in knee deep water and watch the boat get sucked out into a safe anchoring depth.

Jason, where about in AZ are you? The Box Anchor sticks in anything. BTW, I have no affiliation with Box Anchor. I'm just passing on the good news.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
COOL DEAL GUYS... THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO....
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
Hey Jason I'm in az too and we go to apache lake a lot and over the years had a regular anchor an it is a hassle on the soft mud but the box anchor I fiannly ponied up for works great and hooks up immediatly. worth the cash for sure. and folds up small and has it's own bag for storage pretty cool.
Old     (coursey)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
Another vote for the box anchor. I have used other type of anchors in the past. The anchor will hold tight with much less rode than a traditional anchor.

Get one! It will not let you down.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 9:39 PM Reply   
Box anchor and an Anchor Buddy for sure!! if you are you using something else, you are using the wrong thing!
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
In Tempe, have not been to roosevelt or apache in a while. We went out to canyon lake (when it was drained), and the only things out there were tires, it was pretty much all dirt. Out at lake pleasant I finally got a good hook with the anchor, after hours of trying. Then in the morning I couldnt get it out, and So I pulled with the boat going all four directions, then I finally pulled up half of a full size tree, lol. No joke.

So the next question is, what size anchor buddy to get? Would it be overkill to get one of the larger ones, as well as for some extra ballast?

(Message edited by AZPOWERHOUSE on April 21, 2008)
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-21-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
we have two 20 lb anchors that are coated in rubber and they have worked well for us.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
An anchor buddy is nothing more then a bungee cord.... get 5' of chain on the end of a box anchor and drop... let it hit the bottom after the "anchor buddy stretches" and put it in reverse towards shore or what have you and it is set.. pretty much no matter what! i have an anchor buddy on both the front and back
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-22-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Anyone use a digger anchor that when directly above the anchor and give it a yank it collapses and frees itself?

It's about half the price as a box anchor which is still a bit more expensive than a basic danforth anchor. I may just buck up for the box anchor as I've heard the same good things.
Old     (bladeaustin)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-22-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Four feet of Anchor line for every foot of depth, should cure your problem.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-22-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
What anchor works the best on a rock bottom? Anything from gravel to 8"rocks? I have a clamshell style with 5 feet of 3/4" chain attached and I cannot get it to stay in one spot. What else can I try?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
I cannot believe this box anchor will outperform my fortress in a sand bottom. Any comparison test data available?
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
Look at Richter Anchor also in addition to the Box anchor. The Richter does not need a chain for boats less than 23'. I have it and it's been great. Tried different types (Danforth, Fortress, Grapnel, etc.) but because the minimum rode (5:1) required for these types of anchors, none worked out for me. If I'm dropping anchor at 20' deep, I'd need 100' of rope, plus 5' of chain to set it properly. I'm usually less than 30' to shore so I'm never far enough as required for it to set properly, that's why I went with Richter. You only need 2:1 rode (min.).

Anchor Buddy comes in one length only, 50'
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-22-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Box.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-22-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
BOX is the only way to go. You do not need a chain with it. I have used it in mud,sand, and rocky bottoms with no problems. In havasu I've had two other boats tied up to me and it didn't move.