Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Ya, I agree, waverunners suck. Still, some of my friends enjoy them.

Anyone know a good source for waverunner batteries?

Can motorcycle batteries do the job?

A friend recommended WalMart as one possibility.

Costco has only auto batteries.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Im guessing they would be a motorcycle battery Cycle gear in Redwood city or there is a new Cycle place on bay street in Redwoodcity it is a big place real close to the post office on the same side of the street
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-19-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
if you only ever want to buy one waverunner battery get an Odyssey dry cell battery. They cost twice as much but last much better. You can order it from riva. check it out.

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/product_page.asp?Category=Batteries
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone!

My waverunners get used half a dozen times each summer so my goal is likely to get the cheapest solution since I suspect that I will need to continue to buy new ones every summer.

Hey, Overtons has that Odyssey battery for $89 too.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=35467

I will see what Walmart has.

Anyone know if a motorcycle battery is fine to use (from a spill/vibration standpoint)?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
The Jetski battery is the same as a motorcyle battery, if you give me the number on the side of the battery I might be able to get you one cheap. The numbers usually start out with ytx-12b etc
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
GD, Walmart or Samsclub is the best buy. My last 2 from there were about $35 each. They will last a year and then I get another. It is cheaper than buying an expensive that maybe lasts two years (or maybe not).
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-20-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
Thanks Paul.
Do you buy motorcycle batteries?
Or, does Walmart have waverunner batteries?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Grant, Motostrano is the name. They are primarily clothing and gear, not so much parts.

Hey GD, what about hooking up a trickle charger in the off season to keep them alive?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
If Sam's or Costco doesn't carry anything, one of my new favorite stores is Batteries Plus. Also, Cycle Gear has great prices and usually in stock.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Jetski batteries are usually cheap enough that spending 35-40 dollars for a battery tender plus the hassle is not worth it. Especially when you can replace one every other year for about the same price.

GD, they are the same battery often the packaging will have a motorcycle picture and a jetski pic on the box.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2006, 12:12 AM Reply   
hey nate could you get this battery for cheap ? CB16CL-B
i need one for my 550 and wal mart stopped carrying it
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-21-2006, 12:45 AM Reply   
They'll last longer if you just take care of them. What kills them is allowing the battery to discharge. When it discharges too far, sulfate collects and forms a coating on the lead plates. The coating impedes the chemical reaction, making it difficult or even impossible to charge the battery. I just make it a habit during the offseason to take all the batteries out of the toys and tools (boat, seadoo, lawnmower) and put them in the garage when i do my winterization. Just charge them once a month and they last so much longer. I'm on my 4th season on the cheapo autozone duralast in my boat and its still going strong. Having to replace one battery every year isnt a big deal, but it gets expensive when you have so many. Taking that small amount of time every month can end up saving a significant amount of cash. That money is better spent on gas instead of just flushing it down the toilet.

DKJ
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Just what Nate said- they are sold for motorcycles and jet skis. The last ones I bought had the same/or similar model #s to the ones in my Sea Doos and looked identical.