Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-30-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Now I know this is one of the better wakeboarding boats out there. But I am thinking about going to look at one locally. Has tower/perfectpass/ballast/single axle trailer/indmar 325HP FI motor/320hours or so. Also we like to ski very rarely and will this boat throw an ok ski wake? Maybe if I added a trim tab woudl it help? Asking around 20Kish. Doesn't have the wrap around seating but coming from a small direct drive don't think that would be too much of a problem. I rarely get more than 4 guys. Looking for opinions on boat. My old 86 Dixie Ski boat is great all around, but looking to upgrade at some point. Also what is the difference between the XSTAR and the 205V? I saw this on the NADA site. We live on a small local lake (90acre) so trying to stay around a 20 footer. Thanks
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-30-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
There is no difference between the star and the 205v hull, and size. The ski wake is decent if you are up around 34-36mph. There is a noticable bump at 22off though.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-02-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanks Paul, thought I would have some more responses, but maybe had the wrong title. If found some info on this link:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/603277.html?1217284915

But it is more on the 205V. Also could not find any info on the indmar motor he said it had. Hoping to go and check it out. Looks nice according to pics. But unsure if I'd be better off with a newer boat. Found a 2005 Mobius LS for 26K with 40hours, seems a little high on price but looks real nice, Gravity 1, EZ cruise, tower wakeplate, single axle trailer. Thanks again
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
Get the Mastercraft, the Mobius LS is a direct drive...Indmar makes a very solid engine.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-03-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
Get the MC, I love my 99, The wake is classic, and with some ballast its awesome. If you can get it for a good price grab it, you wont be sorry.
Old     (jbongo3535)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-03-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
I have had a 99-Xstar since the day it was first released approaching 800 hours, with normal service never had a breakdown, we load it up every time and no issues! load up the ballast and you will be very happy with this boat
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-03-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Thanks. Unfortunetaly I wasn't able to go check out the XSTAR due to kids freaking out today. But plan on this week.

Jhamel and Brad I know this is a wakeboarding boat, but for skiing is it at least doable at regular slalom speeds? I have heard of adding that wakeplate, wonder if that would help?

thanks and will keep you posted.
Old     (jbongo3535)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-03-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
we don't ski much, but without the ballast filled it is a skiable wake because of the boat size, and dialed down it can be a nice wake for kids to learn on also. When loaded it is a bit steep, but hard as a rock.
Old     (dgunthert)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-04-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
I'll chime in Nick. I've got a '97 205.

Remember, this hull started it's life as a competition-class, open bow ski boat (and was AWSA approved). The wake suffered a little bit when they made it a V-drive, but it will still throw an outstanding slalom wake.

We'll usually take a couple of slalom runs in the early morning and then load up the ballast and wakeboard the rest of the day.

If you want more info that you ever considered researching, check the full history of the hull here:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5337
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-04-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
If what you mean by "regular slalom speeds" is that you are not running a course, or do so on occasion(sp?) and are pulling kids and rec. skiers, it will do a great job. If you are running shortline in the course, you might want to look at the X7.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-04-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Thanks that was what I was looking for. We don't run a course and I have enough trouble just running one ski, but do throw it on. Also figured the kids might soon. We teach a lot of friends to ski, but we usually (90%) wakeboard. So looking to upgrade from mine and figured that boat might be similar ski wise as mine but upgrade by wakeboarding and comfort. Will check out that link DG. Thanks again