Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
I have decided to upgrade my camera to a DSLR and decided on the Canon 40D. I think that I will probably just go with the Kit lens 28-135IS for starters to learn the camera and settings and what not. But, what would be the best additional lens for shooting from the boat? I do not want to spend a fortune, but do want to get something with image stabilization.... and any recommendations as to where the best place to get a really good deal on it is???? Also, what other items will I need to get besides a carrying case and CF memory card... Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated...
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-02-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
I bought mine from B&H out of New York. Solid folks and great prices. I opted for the 40D body and the 18-200 IS lens to start with. So far so good but I am new to DSLR and certainly still learning.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-02-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
The 28-135 would be fine shooting from the boat on a 1.6X body like the 40D and it's got IS. Although IS isn't a big requirement for shooting action sports because of the higher shutter speeds you'll need to be at.

I shot a lot from the boat with a 5D and 24-105, you can't get real close but sometimes that's not what you really want anyway. Here's a couple from that setup from a few years ago. You'd be able to get closer with the 28-135/40D.

Upload
Upload
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2009, 3:29 AM Reply   
I have had that set up for about a year & really like it now that i'm starting to figure out the camera. The 28-135 IS is a nice walk around lens and I used it shooting from the boat all last summer. I have recently added a 50mm 1.8 and my new favorite toy the 70-200 IS 4.0 L to my bag. I also got mine from B&H. Don't think you can go wrong with that set up.

Couple of shots from last summer with the 28-135.

F/L 135, F-7.1, SS 1/1000, ISO 200
Upload

F/L 135, F-5.6, SS 1/1250, ISO 200
Upload

Rich, really like the 1st shot of Chris, Nice.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-03-2009, 5:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help. I also have a 7 month old, so I am going to try and sell the camera to the wife for the fact that we need a better camera to get good pictures of her too....
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-03-2009, 5:36 AM Reply   
Also, one more thing... Has anyone ever bought anything from Digicombos.com??? I found the camera and lens for $980 there and that is the cheapest that I have found so far. What size CF card should I get and is there a higher quality/speed on the CF card that I should be looking for... I would like to do some sequence shots and I know that the camera can shoot 6.5FPS but the card write speed has to keep up right??
Old     (bradlovellphotography)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-03-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
I've found the write speed on a card dosen't make that big of a difference if you're just shooting a rapid burst of a sequence. That's my experience though.

As others have mentioned, the 28-135 IS is a great lens, I have it and have used it on the water before. I just upgraded to the 70-200 2.8 so I've been using that, but for starters the 28-135 would be a good set up. I've never heard of the website you mentioned. I'd recommend making sure you get from an authorized dealer to make sure warranty will be backed and you know you're getting a new unit.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-03-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Where the CF card's write speed comes into play is the buffer capacity which will "flush" quicker with the newer extreme style cards.

thanks Randy, I was going to comment about your Tour shots as well.

Anyone who thinks the 70-200 f4 L IS doesn't make a difference from quality standpoint just needs to look at your latest stuff! Now that you have your timing and your settings dialed your shots are just fabulous. Peter's with his 400 f5.6L are great too (I knew that lens would be great for shooting contests from the shore as well)

The 400 f5.6 L is the most fun lens I own, highly recommended and of course I've been brutally outspoken regarding the 70-200 f4 L IS, it's simply the best one can get in a 70-200 zoom in any brand.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
Thanks Rich, The Fort Worth stop course layout was a little farther out then most, Peters 400 was money for Texas, very sharp.

So now my question, I tried my Tamron 1.4X for a little more reach and it was just about right, but seemed to lock focus slower, I tried Peters Canon 1.4x and was a little better (maybe, not sure) Is that an inhearent issue with teleconverters, or is just me. 1st time I've used it in the field, I took some test shots at home and it seemed fine from a quality standpoint. Picked it up off FM for a $100 so the price was right. Your thoughts on the focus speed?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-03-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
I have both the Canon 1.4X and a Kenko teleplus pro 1.4 (same as the top end model Tamron I believe - both made by Hoya).

In the past I've had great results with the Kenko/tamron on most lenses (although Tamron does make a cheaper one if by chance that's what you got) but in the case of the 70-200 the Canon 1.4 is definitely a cut above with remarkable IQ and much better color. AF speed seemed about the same though which makes me wonder if you have the top end Tamron. This is the Tamron I'm referring to:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185152-REG/Tamron_AF14PN700_1_4x_SP_Pro_Teleconverter.html

Either way it's worth ponying up for the Canon 1.4 for use with the 70-200 f4 IS. Here's one I shot with the 70-200 / canon 1.4 combo.
Upload
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich, yes that's the one I have. I got it the day before I left for Texas and took a few test shots with & without the 1.4X with my 70-200. I was using a tripod and it looked very sharp at 280mm. I was using it in Texas mid-day in poor light. I will play with it some more. Thanks for the feedback. Nice bird in flight shot!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-03-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
They do tend to wash out contrast a little so good light is more important then it would be without them on. Other then losing a stop I haven't seen any difference with my shooting.