Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2003, 9:51 PM Reply   
Ok, the home we are buying has a seperate garage and the doofus who designed it has a strange angle where the driveway runs next to the house. I dont think I can cut the corner with the yukon and the boat, so I think I am going to have to push it in by hand. Does anybody know anything about this product?
Old    kiwi            02-12-2003, 12:53 AM Reply   
Has it got a wheel at the back ? By the looks of the angle for the handle and the towing ball I don't know if you'd get much oomph pushing it because the handle would be to high . I think it would be ok pulling but hard work pushing.
Can you maybe get a towball fitting for the front of your vehicle . Maybe a pull out thing that u can fit off centre.
I donno .
Hope that helps .
Old    swass            02-12-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
If you have a single axle trailer, and you're not trying to push it up even a slight incline, that will work pretty well. If you have to go up hill or push very far, you might wanna look into the electric-powered version of the same thing.
Old    leggester            02-12-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
I agree. Ever tried to push 3K lbs? Might need a couple people to help you.
Old    swass            02-12-2003, 6:09 AM Reply   
Jeez. I didn't even look to see who I was replying to. You should be OK with that one.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
Or you can get a sit down lawn mower, gotta convince the wife first then put a hitch ball on the back and then you can kill two birds with one stone. You can now mow your lawn as well as use it to pull and push the boat into the garage.
That's what I did. hehe.

Chris
get the grip you deserve
www.wakejunky.com/gatorgrip

Also for sale.
http://home.surewest.net/cfoye/96SportNautique/96SportNautique.htm
Old    wakedad            02-12-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
With a receiver on the front of the vehicle you'd be amazed where you can put a trailer.
Old    6more            02-12-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
Chris - we tried that, but found we couldn't mount the ball high enough on the tractor. On a normal lawn tractor, the hitch is only about 6" off the ground. We couldn't get the trailer that low. I guess it depends on your tractor and trailer combination.

I agree with the front receiver hitch on the truck.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-12-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
get a different house with a better garage setup
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-12-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
http://powercaster.com/

http://powercaster.com/viewguestbook.asp

Check these out. Look for a used one. scott
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Another idea might be a large ATV with a hitch!!!

I use my Arctic Cat 500 to move my boat around all the time.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-12-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
if it is completely flat that thing should work well, I dont have one of those and can move my boat around.
Old    danno            02-12-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
I've used them quite a bit for smaller boats and they really don't work all that well for powerboats. The retractable wheel on the tongue of most trailers will work better than a trailer dolly if you have to push it. If you need to replace the one on your trailer -they do wear out- it will probably cost less than the trailer dolly. If you have any incline at all, look for a motorized dolly. They make them with small gas engines, you can see them in use around most yacht club parking lots.
We had that situation at our house, trying to get around a tree... I would tow the boat home with the suburban, unhook it, hook up the jeep, get it in as far as I could, unhook it, push it past the tree, move the jeep and hook it up to push it in the rest of the way. And no, it wasn't a tough decision to remove that tree. :-)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-12-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
get the front receiver hitch on your truck. receiver-hitch-mounted winches are awesome.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-12-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
I cant put a front receiver on my Denali, nor would I want to. I have been searching for a gas powered trailer dolly, but have had no luck. The electric ones will work, but are pretty pricey. How about mounting a winch in the garage, hooking it up to the back of the boat trailer and winching it up the drive as I guide the boat by hand. That would be a real cheap alternative if it would work
Old    swass            02-12-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
That might work, but you'd need a fulcrum at the turning point(s).
Old    leggester            02-12-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
Andy, don't know what the drive way looks like, but why can't you just back it in, possibly back and fill, with the Denali?
Old    leggester            02-12-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
Sorry, too quick on the post button.

I meant until the boat is up on the pad for the garage. Then you'd probably be able to move it by hand.
Old    gappedout            02-12-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
If the area you're talking about using this in is level, I think you'd be fine with just the dolly...

My buddy has one as his place and we use it for launching his boat. It seems to be pretty strong and stable and definitely helps with maneuvering a trailer. It is a lot easier to push a trailer using one of those dollys than without one...

Mind you, the stock trailer stand and wheel may also work, and if you're not going up an incline or over some large cracks you might be fine...

Have you priced one out? Knowing the price would help determine the ROI...
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Flip the stinger over and put the ball on top. Get one that is 8 inch's or so. You mount it 6 inch's off the ground then ad the 8 inch's and you got 14 inch's. That should be more than enough.
Old    swass            02-12-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
The day Andy buys a lawn tractor or ATV just to move his boat into the garage is the day I donate all my Earthly possessions to the Reverend Sun Myung Moon.
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-12-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
I was thinking of getting a sears 3 ton high-lift jack to move my boat around. It is on sale at sears for $29.99 where I am at. If it doesn't work, I will take it back.

(Message edited by eljefepequeno on February 12, 2003)
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-12-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
Here is a picture.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-12-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
I can get the trailer dolly off ebay for about 40 bucks. New. Swass, could be fun whipping around the yard on an atv, so better start seeing if your donations are tax deductable. . I first will check and see if I can get in onto the pad without trouble, then go from there. Where there is a will there is a way!
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Swass, buying the ATV to move the boat is just the excuse you use on the little lady!!!! You'd be amazed at how much you can use that ATV for after you have it!!!
Old    charlie            02-12-2003, 11:10 PM Reply   
hey andrew, I have one of those things and use it all the time. It works fine for me on concrete, and makes the boat really easy to move. It takes leg power but its easy on and easy off. I also have a 115v powercaster. I don't use it much anymore because it is slow, and the wheel slips a lot if it doesn't have real good traction. I have a slight uphill grade to park the boat along side of the house, and I have to go over some grass, so I just bought an inexpensive winch and mounted it on a bracket to a pin in the concrete pad where I park the boat. I pull the cable out, hook to the rear of the boat and let the winch pull the boat up the incline while I steer it with the dolly. Got the winch for $79 from heartland and it works great. The amount of control you get from the dolly is remarkable, and it helps prevent damage to the trailer wheel. good luck.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-13-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Charlie, thanks very much for your help. I am going to do the exact same same thing. I am going to try the dolly first, then the winch if I cant push it up the slight incline with the dolly. The powercaster is too expensive for the performance it gives. Where can I get the winch like you have. I can only find 12 volt ones.
Old    charlie            02-13-2003, 11:43 PM Reply   
hey andrew. the winch I have IS the 12vdc one because it's really the cheapest way to go AND it makes it portable so I can use it for other things or take it with me on trips. I ordered it from heartland (http://www.heartlandamerica.com). they still have it in their catalog and on their web site. I bought a $20 tractor battery for it at the auto store. This battery is lead/acid and looks like a miniature car battery with a handle on it and weighs only about 5 lbs. I have a 3500lb boat + trailer and it pulls it up soft wet lawn at a 8%-10% grade with no problems (even once when I forgot to remove the wheel chocks too, it just pulled the boat over them). I've also used the winch to pull stumps since its portable. It will drop down onto the hitch ball on my truck in case I want to take it with me on trips. It has a cutout in its bottom for this. I totally agree with you on the powercaster. Mine has been sitting in the shed unused almost since I got it. It was given to me by my father-in-law when he stopped using it on his boat. another thing I like about the winch is that it locks when stopped, so as long as the cable is attached the boat wont roll downhill when I let go of the dolly handle. I have plenty of time to set the wheel chocks in place. Good luck on your project.
Old    swass            02-14-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
That sounds like the way to go, bro.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-14-2003, 6:49 AM Reply   
Andrew go to your local Airport. They have gas powered dollies for small airplanes. You will need to weld a bracket with a ball on it but that is easily done. Ask around and see if you can't find a used one. Good luck

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com