Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
So I just called one of my buddies and asked if he wanted to start the season this weekend. He said that he was busy and he would let me know. He just called me back and said "I just don't have the time man". This pisses me off.
You see just the other day a guy at work asked me if I wanted to play on his softball team on Monday nights. I told him that I would think about it. So i thought about it for a couple of days and decided that i just don't have the time. The grass is growing like crazy, i have to get some work on the boat done before nice weather, and the garage project isn't going to finish itself.
Not having enough time really isn't the issue though. Its not MAKING the time. So when i saw him at work yesterday i began to tell him that i just didnt have the time. I quickly stopped myself and explained that i had just as much time as he did, but i chose not to spend it playing on his softball team. This makes me sound like an a$$ i know. But when you really think about it isn't it the truth?
Getting back to my buddy. He could go to the lake this weekend, but he doesn't want to make the time. That's fine, but be willing to admit that this is the truth, not "I just don't have enough time".
I realize that being single with no kids leaves more free time for me than others, and i am not suggesting that you tell people that you "choose" not to spend time doing something because that makes you sound like an a$$.
I'm just saying next time someone asks you to do something and you are about to tell them that you "just dont have the time" is that really the case?
I'm done ranting....just a thought.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
x2^

I'm a regular exerciser and have been for at least 15 years. (When I was young - 20's - just being active and doing sports did the trick, but unfortunately no longer). I run, cycle, swim, gym, wakeboard, etc. I hang out with people who do all this and so after a while you begin to think that everybody does this. Then, I'm always SHOCKED when I go to my kids' school activities and see my pier age group and pier parents. Holy crap am I glad I stay active!

Anyway, I always get the comment: "How do you find the time to regularly exercise & do those activities?" My answer is that I MAKE the time. I schedule it, put it in the calendar like anything else I do and just do it. I make it not optional. It's just like brushing your teeth - you don't contemplate not doing this every day right? With nothing more than this shift in attitude, it's amazing how you have the time and everything just seems to work out.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-21-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
I agree, but some people may just not be as into as you are, hence not having the time. I run into this all the time. If it were up to me i would have 3-4 people on my boat every weekend riding from sunrise to sunset. This rarely happens. Mainly bc my crew just isnt as into as I am, except for 1 guy, and none of them have a boat. So I look at is as , I paid a crap load for the boat, all the accessories, gas, insurance, well you know im sure, and to have it sit is just wasted money. They look at it different im sure. Just a thought. But goddam I wish I could ride more.

Last edited by mc_x15; 04-21-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: sp
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
People make the time to do the things they really want to do. Whether it's working out, wakeboarding, or just putting in hours at work.

Your post couldn't be more true. It's good that your saw the error in your own thinking. If only everyone could be honest with themselves.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Well put Evan. We will always make time for the things we truly enjoy to do.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-21-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like you need more than 1 person to rely on to go out with. Maybe it was a bad weekend for him. No everybody can drop plans to spend at least 1/3 of the day on the water. Work before play happens more times than you think. In some people's case, it is a necessity. Other's it is not.
Old     (NoahSS)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
I agree with a lot of what was said up there. I do agree you can make time for anything you truly want to do, but sometimes it comes down to what you SHOULD BE doing instead of what you WANT to be doing. Sometimes work plans or important plans need to be put as priority, and especially if you are already committed. just my .02 cents....

I still do totally agree if you truly want to do something, you can find a way to make it happen.

Theres always other weekends too though! Find some new riders to take out with you that are as stoked about it as you get!
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
Man I totally feel your pain. Sometimes it seems impossible to find a third or fourth (sometimes a second!). Heck, I would be out there every morning if I had a solid crew. It's frustrating for sure, but I guess some people just aren't as into it as I am. It gets kind of old being the only experienced boater whenever I go out cuz I have to worry about pretty much everything. It's not like this everytime, but quite often. I am 23 and only been married a short while and this summer I'm really going to focus on getting my wife more comfortable with the boat... expand my crew to two!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-22-2010, 1:03 AM Reply   
Matt, come to Smith Mountain Lake in VA, I'll ride with you any time, hahaha. Wakeboarding is one of the few things that I put up there priority wise over pretty much anything and everything else. I can't tell you how many times I've been late to work because of "boat problems" getting me stuck out on the lake (which legitimately happens to me wayy too much, on top of the not so real ones). I also work at a movie theater that isn't busy ever and I'm friends with the boss, so they don't care if you come in late. If I had a job where that mattered, I'd be on time every time and would never ever be like "oh, I can't get there for (insert reason), I'm going to have to be late, but with this job, yeah, that happens frequently, haha.

Seriously, finding a crew to ride with is one of the hardest things to do with the sport.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2010, 4:35 AM Reply   
Priorities. Everyone has different priorities. I feel your frustration with trying to find a crew dedicated to "make the time" to rides as much as you want to.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 4:36 AM Reply   
I can usually find 4 or 5 people to ride with so it's not an issue of not being able to ride because he isn't going.
I totally understand putting work before play. I work about 60 hours a week and am required to work all weekend sometimes. People call me to go to the lake all the time when i have to work and i say "I have to work". It's not that i dont have time, it's that i choose to not make time because i need to work. My point is simply that you have the choice to choose how to spend your time. It is just upsetting to me when people act like they are the victim of t
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
i feel your frustration... i get one rider max.... to come on here and **** can your mate on wakewaorld is bull**** though... everyone has different priorities. as you get older riding gets less. its life. not everyone is pumped to ride every day. your bro may actually not have time to ride... fair enough.
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-22-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Sounds like you're whining.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
I'm not whining. I mean i want the kid to ride this weekend but i will ride reguardless.
Maybe I didn't make it clear in my iniital post but this isn't really so much about wakeboarding. It's about the statement "i just don't have time".
My point is that we say this all the time and it's not really the truth.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
If I could only go back to the days where I had a crew of 6+ people and pretty much lived in the boat on the weekends!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Spot on. I didn't see it as whining at all.

I spend my time doing what is important to me, and like you, I come out and say it all the time. "Nah, I'm just not into it, I would rather do this."
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Man, Jacob.... Isn't that the truth. I remember the days when saturday morning would roll around and we'd have 12 bodies on the boat. Gear everywhere. Everyone wanted to get their water time, girls included.

These days we ride and it's usually 3-4 of us. Usually just the guys (the wives are usually doing something of their own or watching kids). Get on the water, ride, get back home.

I definitely miss the old days, sometimes. Camping trips, etc...... Everyone's just "too busy" now.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-22-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Man I really wanted to read this entire thread, but, I just don't have the time. hahahahahah J/K.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-22-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey all, read post. 35 with 4 kids, I get the statement on both ends. I agree with the truth that people MAKE time for things they enjoy. Like I said I have 4 kids, so there are alot of times I have to do what kids want (little league baseball, yuck) when I want to be riding. Anyway, one thing struck me, so thought I would ask. I am in Indiana, and have NO CREW so to speak other than family. How do I find people 2-4 that would go out? WW has the forum and I think I will try but just wondered how you all did it? Out on the lake seeing other riding just ask? Just asking now I guess.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
Scott, lots of ways to find other riders. If I see a boat sacing up or idling on our lake I will often idle up and chat. Depending on how that goes and if I have room will invite them on our boat. Also met people through work, friends of friends, ocassionally calling the local board shop and see if they know anyone looking for pulls or looking for a crew it it is really thin in my boat. Local tourneys are probably going to have your highest concetration of wakeboarders in one spot at one time. As your kids get to teens, they will be bringing their own 'crews' with them too.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Seeing as to how you will be sporting at 2011 thats loaded up i could just run up the state a few hours and ride with you!
I am very lucky that we have had friends on Rough River for years and my parents just bought a house a few minutes down the road. They just about live there on the weekends, as do we, so they are always down to ride. Other than that i have had luck just chatting with others on early mornings enjoying the smooth water.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-22-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, yeah honestly I will have one of the sickest boats out on the water, so I am sure that will help. I am 35 with kids, so not really into the whole 20 year old thing anymore. (Although they do bring a bunch of hotties around, my 34 wife can hang with any of them)...lol So, I will just keep eye out for boarders. You are right I am only a few years away from my kids bringing their friends with us which should be fun. Got to teach oldest who is 8 to drive in a few years. I gotta ride right!!!!! Cruise is a good thing......
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-22-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Its all about priorities. Everyone ranks things a little different and as you get older or your siuation in life changes, your priorities will change as well.

For me, my wife and kid are Priority #1, that means not only spending time with them but providing for them. That means I go to work 40+ hours a week, I come home instead of going to that poker game at my buddies 3 nights a week, etc. Luckily wakeboarding falls right into that top priority since everyone enjoys the boat