Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    schooner            05-07-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
I am getting 04 LSV and dealer quoted me 51k with PP, bolster seat, cover, bimini, stereo, trailer and board racks. Now when we sat down do make the deal suddendly there was a 'transportation chrage' of $800 and dealer prep costs $250. What do you think? And what do you think about the price?
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-07-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
First it sounds like the dealer is trying to make an extra $800. If you want a great deal, and you want to get me out of a bind, I have an 04' Supra Launch SSV with 8.3 hrs w/ all of the options from your post plus alot more that I will sell for $42,000. I am in Knoxville, TN and we could talk about some form of delivery. I put 13K down on my boat the pay off is just over 42,000.
Old    schooner            05-07-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
no thanks for the offer. I am in for the new Malibu LSV for a reason.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
I am a dealer and $800 ships my boats from CA to MI. Dealer prep covers putting in the engine plugs, scrubbing off the adhesive from the gel coat, wash, wax, PP connection (sometimes it is shipped disconnected), battery connection, etc. Personally, I don't mess with those charges, just tax, title, and reg fees that go to the state. Each dealer sets their own policy. Sales tax for in-state sales is critical, but can be paid directly by the consumer if they want to do it themselves.

Congrads! Enjoy your new boat!
Old    schooner            05-07-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
so what would you say about CA dealer trying to charge 871 for freight?
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
that's what they qouted me at the boat show.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-07-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
Just tell them you're only going to pay 51K OUT THE DOOR.

During my awful boat buying process last month, I had to be sure to repeat myself, "OUT THE DOOR". ANYTIME you mention a price, say OUT THE DOOR afterwards. If you don't say it constantly, they will pretend like you never said it at all.

Their favorite game is switching between "out the door" pricing, and "before tax, lic, etc." pricing.

They say, "This boat is $49900 out the door."
I'd say, "I can only pay $46500."

They come back from their desk, and say, "Well we can do $47000."

I'd say, "Out the door?"
They'd reply, "Oh no, that's before tax and setup."

It's ridiculous, and they will do whatever they can to screw you out of that extra couple hundred bucks.

Old    schooner            05-07-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
Originally I got 48.3k quote without trailer (I don't want one, I will have floating dock) plus tax and fees. I think I am going to straight them up.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Your boat without a trailer is worth a lot less than one with the trailer. Like about $5,000 in the first few years or so. I recommend that your reconsider the trailer just for the resale value. Also, if you need to change a propshaft, have it serviced, or off-site installation of accessories, then the trailer is essential. Don't count on the dealer maintaining a trailer just for you.

As for tax, sales tax is collected on behalf of the state. Here in MI, I can sell the boat without the tax, but then the consumer must pay the tax when they register the boat. For our type of boats, that is at least $3,500. Most people finance the taxes as well as the boat so they don't shell out that much cash.

The dealer has to pay that tax bill quarterly and it is a direct cost, just as the invoice on the boat itself.

Personally, I negotiate the boat price and add the 6% tax afterward. I let them know up front that we are negotiating the price without the tax up front. Most of the time we calcuate it several times so that they know the out-the-door price. It is not underhanded, just one way to do business. The only extra fees I ever charge is the state taxes and fees, and those are known up front as a fee or percentage.

Old    schooner            05-07-2004, 4:00 PM Reply   
I am fine with taxes. I got 51k +taxes quote with the trailer and 48.3 (plus taxes) without. I did not check specifically but I was told that trailer is about 3k - when I will want to sell the boat I could get the new trailer fo the same money. Right now I would have to store it etcetc. I know my previous boat never left the lake for 4 years so the trailer is just a hassle for me now.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-07-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
Karl,

What you don't mention is that in Michigan if you buy from a private individual - then the consumer doesn't have to pay the tax. I actually used this point to get the price down because I made the dealer realize my "out the door price" was more than I another boat I was considering (from a private seller).
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       05-08-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Adam...Karl is shipping from CA to MI. Isn't Malibu made in the east? If so, the shipping would be reasonable.