Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    kamapmj            03-27-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 Suburban 3/4ton and am looking for advice on the best trailer hitch drop for level trailer towing. I will be towing a mastercraft x30 on a mastercraft trailer.

Any thoughts or input?
Thanks
Old    swass            03-27-2003, 3:04 PM Reply   
There's not much we can do to help. When the trailer is level, measure the height from the ground to the ball socket, then measure the height to your hitch. That will get you close, but remember to take into account the height of the ball. I just measured mine - it's about 1 3/4" high. So, basically, a 2" drop receiver and ball will get you back to level with where the receiver fits into the hitch. Clear as mud?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-27-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
Ground to top of the ball - 18". Compensate for extra tongue weight. Measure ground to top of receiver hole and subtract 17" to get the drop you need.
Old    swass            03-27-2003, 3:13 PM Reply   
But...some trailers sit higher/lower than others, so a standard measurement won't work. If you have the same trailer and boat that he does...then never mind.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-27-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
Mastercraft trailer. Should be standard in design. Worked at a trailer manf. (car carriers) as a teenager. You don't forget these things.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       03-27-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
Depends on the height of your vehicle… previous posts here would say 4” drop for a standard 4x4. I use a 4” drop on my Tahoe and my trailer sits level.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-27-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
Peter, if in doubt, any reputable off road/truck accessory shop can get you the right drop.
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2003, 5:54 PM Reply   
I was always told the hitch\ball should come to about knee high.

Never found out if that was for a 5' tall or a 6'3" person though!!!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-27-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
Trust me, industry standard is 18" from ground to top of ball. Between sagging springs, vehicle modification, and other variables, the best way is to measure from ground to top of the receiver
Old    swass            03-28-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
Jeff, that just doesn't compute for me. There are too many variables to come up with an industry standard. "Mastercraft trailer. Should be standard in design." I think they use several trailer manufacturers, and I think there's a difference in height between single axle and tandem. Even if you are right, we don't know enough about the 'burban: Does it have stock wheels/tires? Any body/suspension lift? What kind of hitch? Some fit snug against the bumper, and some hang a little lower.
Old    dlb988            03-28-2003, 6:15 AM Reply   
Call your mastercraft dealer. He should be able to tell you the height that you need. You then need to look at spring sag if any and do a little math. I have done this many times it is not rocket science boys. BTW my Sub and Malibu have a 2" drop.
Old    swass            03-28-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
No he can't! He (you sexist pig ) might be able to tell him the measurement for the trailer, but that has nothing to do with drop necessary to match that height.

(Message edited by swass on March 28, 2003)

(Message edited by swass on March 28, 2003)
Old    leggester            03-28-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
They don't get it eh Swass?

Folks, it's easy. As has been posted, get the trailer level. Measure from the ground to the inside top of the hitch.

This is where the top of the ball will need to be.

Get a lift or lower hitch to place the top of the ball at the same height of the first AND ONLY measurement.

I have three different hitches for three different trailers. Straight, 8" drop and a 4" drop.

Now, guess what? I'll be getting a different tow vehicle. I'll have to remeasure all of them. The same drop/raise may or may not work on different vehicles. How about that? Go figure.

Peace all.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-28-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
O.K., don't believe me. I guess that after a few years in the industry, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Have a nice day!
Old    leggester            03-28-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Not saying that at all. I've had to use three different setups with three different trailers. That's all.
Old    dlb988            03-28-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
Swass,

You sexist pig. If you use your brain you might realize that the dealer should be able to give you that measurement and the rest you can do yourself. I have done it that way for 3 different vehicles. Whoops I forgot we have a MC dealer involved.
Old    leggester            03-28-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
Yeah, it's not like it's a Nauti or 'Bu dealer!

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-28-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
The intelligent side of me says to excuse myself from the table, and walk away, while sheer stupidity says help yourself to another plate! I'm pretty much an idiot, so...

swass, It's real simple. You measure from the ground to the top of the receiver hole and subtract 17" to get the drop you need. My truck - 19" from ground to top of receiver hole - 17" = 2" drop. Monster truck next door - 27" from ground to top of receiver hole -17" = 10" drop. Get it?

Matt, 18" ball height is an industry standard. Just like the wiring (white=ground/brown=running lights/yellow=left turn/green=right turn). MOST manufacturers use this (DJM, Trailrite, Extreme, Competetive, Santek, Roadrunner, etc.) I'm guessing that Mastercraft uses this standard also. As for your situation, ? Homemade stuff doesn't count (you know, the pickup bed trailer that Billy Bob and Festus welded up in their garage after a couple of 12 packs), one off or custom trailers may very from the specs (maybe built by small fabrication shops, or other shops that don't build trailers exclusively. Trailers with not enough, or excessive tongue weight (200-250lbs reccommended for class IV) will vary. Understand?

Repeat after me: Ground to top of receiver hole -17" = the drop. I guess not everyones balls hang at 18"

BTW - How thin is the air in Colorado anyways? (j/k, lol)
Old    swass            03-28-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
We'll, I'm glad the idiot in you prevailed. I now understand. The here-to-for omnipotent
Swass is humbled. I bow before you and I shall never doubt you again. Please forgive my arrogance.

I really hate it when I step on my wanker.
Old    swass            03-28-2003, 4:39 PM Reply   
I will, however, blame you for not answering first to begin with so we could have avoided this whole mess.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-28-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
Like I said, I'm an idiot that way! (I can't find a smiley face that looks dumb enough)