Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-21-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Just recently went to costa rica for some holidays. Went there to learn to surf, I learned that surfing is nothing like wakeboarding or snowboarding. What a difficult sport! It takes alot of patience to get 30 seconds of thrill. Anyway went on a tour to arenal lake and just wondering if anyone has ever went wakeboarding on the lake before. Looked like a great lake to board on and if I go back it won't be to surf. Not to many lakes you can ride on that has a volcano in the back ground.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-21-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Lake villarica in Chile has a volcano in the background, and you can ride there, and there are plenty of boats.....water is chilly though.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-21-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
aren't their huge crocs there?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-21-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
oh yeah there are crocs in arenal that is right.

it is a big windsurfing spot though, so maybe they are not a problem.
Old     (boardsoldier)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-21-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
There are a couple shallow river spots on the Atlantic side to ride. They are only accessible by small boat or jet-ski. The scenery is awesome.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-21-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
Hi.
"oh yeah there are crocs in arenal that is right."
Well, turtles maybe... The last croc here was seen yeeeaaars ago.
So that's not the problem. Barely any wakeboarders in the country, THAT's the problem. Well, and me not having a boat yet, that's the other and even bigger problem.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-21-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
like i said before, if the economy gets so bad here in america that we cant afford to keep firemen around, ill be in arenal running a wakeboard camp part time and camping/suf tours to witches the rest of the time.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-22-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
So the biggest reason for the lack of riders at lake arenal is the crocs and lack of boats. Never thought of crocs being an issue, being from canada.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-22-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
I hear the kiteboarding there is EPIC.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Aren't Crocs different from gators? I heard Crocs will hunt you and kill you.
Old     (ben_dk)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-22-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
Both will go after you if you are stomping on their nesting areas, but, yes, crocs are far more territorial and will protect their area and kill any intruder, be it man or beast.

I am heading to Costa Rica in 6 weeks and I would love to do some wakeboarding but the crocs give me second thoughts. Maybe I'll stick to the surfing with the sharks.
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Sander -- where do you ride? I usually come down two or three times a year and would LOVE to do some wakeboarding! There's a river right near the place that I usually stay at that is ALWAYS butter . . . every time I see it it makes me want to ride but there are no boats worth wakeboarding behind.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
One of my long-standing fantasies has been to wakeboard lake Arenal, ever since i first saw it in 1995. There used to be an Aqua Ski outpost at Arenal. On my second or third trip to CR, my wife and I were hiking a jungle trail on the property of Tabacon hotsprings at the base of Volcan Arenal, actually looking for an isolated spot to take some "memorable" private photos. Anyway, through the jungle we approached what appeared to be an open air thatched-roofed carport-type enclosure. I could not believe my eyes, I swear I thought I was hallucinating. We walked closer and it came into focus, sure enough, two brand new Mastercrafts (I believe 1998 at the time), and behind a caged storage enclosure was the entire Hyperlite product line (Murray's VW bug board, etc.) I was not able to ride on that trip. Next time I went back to Arenal, the wakeboard operation had moved to another part of the country.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-22-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
@ Jen
I only rode twice here (in 2 years, that is...); once at Playa Samara (not a good idea, better stick to surfing there) and once here at lake Arenal. Which was awesome.
Where's that river you're talking about?

And indeed, the kiteboarding here is worldclass (dec-mar).
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2008, 6:10 AM Reply   
The river is on the north end of Tamarindo. And I'm not sure how deep it is . . . but I've been out on it and it's pure glass every time.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-23-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
there are a lot of bays up in the gulf of nicoya (near puntarenas) that have pretty smooth water much of the time. One of my coworkers in San Jose goes wakeboarding with a friend of his who has a boat. I actually imported their board for them.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-24-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
@ Tim,
not sure if you received my PM. What type of boat did you bring in for them? Would like to get in touch with that coworker and friend, and meet some other riders here.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-24-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
I brought a board and bindings not a boat. They ride behind a fishing type boat. I'll send em your e-mail.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-24-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
Ah indeed. Misread that. A couple times. The brain is a strange thing...

Thanks!