Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-25-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
I heard from someone that they not only canceled the KC stop, but the Orlando stop as well. There's no updated information on their website or on WWA's, so I was wondering if there's any truth to this. Anyone know?
Old     (mike_olson)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-25-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
I received a call yesterday from the event coordinator that the title sponsor has backed out and that our event, and the remainder of the tour will be cancelled. We are very disappointed at this last minute cancellation. I believe this is very unfair to everyone involved, particularly the riders that look forward to such an event.

I have spent the last two days contacting possible replacement sponsors and believe we will have enough support to put on a superior event.

I will post details next week once we have secured the new sponors.

I hope everyone will show up and help us send a message to those who left us hanging!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-25-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
awesome, mike, I'm sure the new event will be even better.
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
I'm sorry to hear that about the event, and it is great to hear that the event is still going to happen.

But I do not really understand why it is Unfair to the riders at all? They have nothing invested? They get paid to be out there and have many other events to attend as well. It is really only unfair for the vendors and fans who look forward and spend money for these events to happen.

Don't get me wrong, the riders %99 of the time have great attitudes and are the reasons why we go out to the event, but it is just hard to feel bad for them at all.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-26-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
"The M's" - I think you are looking at this a just another "Pro" event. This is not the case it was geared to the amateur riders, so they were investing their hard earned dollars to participate. I think they will be back next year.

Mike - We can't wait to hear all the details and will be out that weekend, event or no event. If we can help you at all let me know.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
So what No Fear pulled out?
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-26-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
The M's - it IS unfair to the amateur riders cause many of them already paid registration for one or both events. Many of them also bought plane tickets, etc.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
So , does thAT MEAN THE oRLANDO EVENT IS CANCELLED ALSO?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Nothing unfair to the riders?? You mean other than the airfare that is non-refundable?
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-27-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
If that is the case, it is def. unfair to the amateur riders as well, it also makes No Fear that much more lame. Weird they backed out, thought they are owned by Pepsi.?
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
They put on a great event at TSR was looking foward to the rest of the series but guess it wont happen now
Old     (mike_olson)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-27-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
When I said that it is unfair to the riders, I was talking about the local riders that look forward to this type of an event. Most of them are beginner and intermediate level riders.

We typically hold a handful of events each season. The focus of our events is always to bring riders together and for everyone to have fun. We were stoked to be part of a national series, and were hoping to see all of our local riders compete along with some riders from around the region.

I have several parents that literally plan their summer around our events.

The prospect of losing this event, particularly on this short of notice, is not right. No Fear approached us in November about this event. We have been marketing this event since the boat shows. We went as far as to feature it in our Ad in the most recent Alliance.

We are still trying to put the pieces together enough to host a solid event. As you might imagine, most sponsors are out of budget by this point in the season.

I promise, if we hold the event, it will be fun, there will be good prizes, and it will be affordable. (The Scion Open was only $25 for day pass to cable, entry fee, tee shirt and dinner)

I will have a final decision in the next day or two.

Thanks
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2008, 5:16 AM Reply   
Mike,

Thanks for trying to salvage the remaining events! I will certainly show my "thanks" to the sponsor that left you holding the bag!
Let us know as soon as you can, as there is another event in August in Dallas that I could use my KC airfare towards.

Appreciate it!
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       07-28-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
that stinks. its super cool that you are stepping up mike.

I am just lucky that we also were doin vacation like stuff in orlando so we will still be ok that we paid for plane tickets, and im sure I will still ride at Odub.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-29-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
I hope that you can work something out Mike. It's a bummer for sure that they canceled the event
Old     (mike_olson)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-03-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
On August 16th KC Watersports will be holding an event as a replacement for the cancelled wake 2 wake tour. The comp will run Saturday around 5 PM and will be held on the cable lake (sorry no boat event). We should have lots of prizes and it should be a fun event for all involved. Thanks to Scion, Monster, and others that will help to make this a great event. There will be Beginner, intermediate, and advanced wakeboard along with an open skate division. Please call the cable at (913) 783 - 4300.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-04-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
Maybe look at it this way. What would be better, cancel a series of costly promotional events, or lay off employees? My company went through a round of lay offs this year, and it sucked. I would have much preferred if they would have done away with some markting/promotional expenditures. Sure it sucks for everyone that this series was cancelled, but if it means that somone out there can put food on the table for his/her family, I can be a little understanding about it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Wake events certainly take a back seat to things like starving children, but I would expect the corporate douche to be a little more responsible with their commitments. Weird and lame.

Props to Mike @ KC
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
Any updates on how/when we will get our registration money refunded? Is it officially cancelled? You'd think that the Sponsor could at least put that on their website and explain their reasons for backing out!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-11-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Not sure if I should give all of the details of what has happened, but lets just say the due to the economy, some funding was pulled from the event budget and the rest of the tour had to be canceled.

To get information about getting your money back, contact Mark Pulver via email at wake2waketour@hotmail.com.

On another note, Mike at KC Watersports, SCION and Monster Energy have stepped up big time and the event will go on as a cable event only. Knowing Mike and his history of putting on events, which are second to none, this will be an awesome event with cool prizes. If you had planned on attending, I expect to see you all there for the festivities. It's going to be a good time, don't miss out.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
Thanks, STL! It still amazes me that nothing has been put out by the sponsor making it official that the series is cancelled. They still have the events posted on the No Fear website as if they are going to happen. The cancellation is about dollars, right???
PepsiCo Reports Second-Quarter 2008 Results

Strong Net Revenue Growth of 14 Percent
Operating Profit Increased 12 Percent and Net Income Grew 9 Percent
EPS Increased to $1.05; Excluding Mark-to-Market Gains, EPS Was up 11 Percent to $1.03
PepsiCo Confirms Full-Year Earnings Per Share Guidance of at Least $3.72, excluding Mark-to-Market Gains/Losses
Company Raises Intended 2008 Share Repurchases by at Least $1 Billion

Volume growth in the Company's North American energy drinks portfolio -- led by triple-digit volume growth for Amp Energy and more than 50 percent volume growth for SoBe Life Water -- was partially offset by mid-single-digit declines in juice.
Old     (cwbrider1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
I don't think pepsi owns No-Fear, I'm wondering were you get your info....sobe life water and amp have nothing to do with them.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-11-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
that's funny....I think there is a Sobe "no fear" flavor!

disclaimor: my apologies if it turns out that pepsico does own "no fear"...}
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Maybe Pepsi just distributes the Energy drink, but has nothing to do with the rest of the business....I don't know. Regardless, this has been handled very poorly despite the reasons for pulling out on a tour they committed to supporting.

Go to pepsico.com and look at the brands they own:

http://www.pepsico.com/PEP_Company/BrandsCompanies/index.cfm#container5
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
I agree with you Kat, I was told by a reliable source that Pepsi was the sponsor that pulled out, so its obvious they are tied in with No Fear energy Money wise.
Old     (cwbrider1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
Energy drinks are a small part of No Fear.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
Really? Wealth of information.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
SoBe is a Pepsi product:

http://www.pepsi.com/pepsi_brands/all_brands/index.php

Just to be fair to Coke - here are all their products:

http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/brands
Try their Virtual Vender:

http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com

(Message edited by phantom5815 on August 11, 2008)
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
After further research, I'm pretty sure that the company No Fear is privately held. However, they have a partnership with Sobe/Pepsi related to their energy drinks.

(Message edited by wakekat15 on August 11, 2008)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Larry, what up bro, I agree with you about the energy drinks being a very small part of No Fear the clothing brand.
I don't think anyone is pissed at No Fear, but at Pepsi for pulling the sponsorship money for the tour, from what I understand it was out of No Fears hands, they did all they could do to try to keep the tour going, but ran into problems with Pepsi Co.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-11-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
I'll look into this and get back.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-11-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
Who cares who owns what! Who are the coordinators? Give the Athletes there money back!! For crying out loud, nit pickers!
Old     (cwbrider1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
I'm glad Mike was able to get some other sponsors to step up and keep the contest, I'm sure it will be a blast.
Old     (browntrout)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-12-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
i remember going to kc
with larry and eddie it was fun
that cable park was fun
Old     (cwbrider1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
Hey Jacob, how are you doing? miss you guys! I'll give you a call soon i'm going to come over and ride.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Got my answer this morning. The tour was cancelled do to diminishing marketing funds.

Not sure who the so called reliable source was but...

This was a No Fear clothing line sponsored event, NOT A NO FEAR BEVERAGE EVENT!

Neither Pepsi or our subsidiary Sobe (No Fear Energy drinks) sponsored the event.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-18-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Did your "answer" tell you where the diminishing marketing and event funds come from? The sale of No Fear Energy drink, which is distributed by Pepsi Co.

My answer came straight from the event coordinator.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-18-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
wakeboardSTL is correct.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Not to beat a dead horse,

My source is pretty well informed on this. He's the west coast events coordinator for our Sobe line. I've worked for Pepsi for going on twenty years myself. That's why I took an interest in this matter.

He specifically stated to me that the marketing for this was not funded by us. If he says we didn't sponsor it, I'm gonna take him for his word.

If either of you could provide me with names of the individuals that you believe were affiliated with Sobe (No Fear) I'd be glad to pass it up the ladder
in and effort to resolve the confusion.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Cliff I think you are missing the point. My understanding is the Money NO FEAR (not Pepsi co or sobe) received from the sale of the energy drink was to fund the tour. That is why they had No Fear Energy shirts to give away as well as No Fear Energy drinks. Maybe Mark Pulver could chime in and end the discussion since it was his Event to Coordinate.
Old     (mike_olson)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-18-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
I think it is time to let this one go.
We held the event on Saturday and it went great. I think everyone that participated had fun. We had 50 competitors from all over the Mid West. It was great to see riders from Oklahoma City, the Ozarks, Saint Louis, Des Moines, Omaha, Illinois and KC get together.

It is my understanding that all who registered online were refunded. I hope no one lost any money on plane tickets.

Mark Pulver is a good guy that got put in a bad position.

Thanks to all of the riders and sponsors that saved this event.
Old     (claudiab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-21-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm glad to hear that everything worked out....I hope that the Handles, ropes, wake surfboard, and helmets that No Fear provided came in handy for the riders that participated. For any information regarding funding or No Fear's involvement with Pepsi please direct your questions to Jenn Goodrum who is the Director of Marketing here @ No Fear.