Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (roller24)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
i know how to wakeboard and everything but i don't really know about wakeboards or bindings (boots whatever they are called). i was just wanting some suggestions on what a good board and some bindings would be.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
If you're just getting into it I would watch
www.boardersbestbuy.com

they have awesome deals all the time on boards and boots.... keep an eye open there

if you catch it today's was pretty good
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
What kind of ride are you looking for in a board?
FIRST Think of these questions:
Or What style do you think you have or want to build?

Now try your best to answer these questions in relation to those above: (this will help us to better narrow down a list of boards that will be a good choice)

BOARD
Do you want a fast board?
Do you prefer the idea of jumping wake to wake? (emphasizing threestage rocker boards)
Or do you prefer airing it out into the flats (flats= far past the other wake)(emphasizing, continuous rocker)
Do you see yourself wanting to progress to flips more or spins more?
Do you want a board that tracks well or one that is slippery?
Will you be hitting rails in the future?
Do you like the idea of flex?
will other people be using the board? (family board?)
any other descriptions you can think of

BOOTS:
Do you like the idea of being strapped in pretty tight like snow board style?
Or do you prefer a more loose feeling, like a skate shoe?
Do you like the idea of open or closed toe?
Is ease of entry and exit a major priority?
Will many others be using the boots?
etc.

Rope and handle
Get a rope and handle set up that is made of "non stretch rope" either SPECTRA or DYNEEMA. This is IMPORTANT! and is the cheapest and best way to improve your ride

DEMO IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!! this is a golden rule

I also second checking Boarders best buy often
Old     (roller24)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-25-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
a fast board sounds good.
i wanna get lots of air and i wanna eventually be able to do flips and rolls and all that stuff.
id rather have a tracking board than a slippery
no rails for me
flex?
ill use the board most of the time. if not me just a friend or two.
i want it to look good also but function before looks.

i dont want my feet getting numb but i dont want to come out of my boots everytime i fall.
open or closed doesnt matter to me.
itd be nice if it was easy to get on and off.
like i said maybe a friend or two..
i slalom so would that rope be ok?? its not a slalom rope i dont think.. its really skinny.
and im buying from a boardshop close to where i live i think and they let people demo.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-25-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
i have a liquid force substance for sale. it has a 3 stage rocker for the big pop you want. it has a removable center fin that you can use for extra tracking, but you can also take it off for a looser feel. it is also a board that a beginner could ride, but you would not outgrow it in a year either. it is 2 years old, but only used last season so it would not break the bank.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/561481.html?1206499124
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-25-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
The substance is a great board, I would look into picking that one up from Alan if I were you, and I would probably pick up a pair of Liquid Force Vantage bindings they're great, easy to get into, not to totally stiff won't throw you out on every fall, but will toss you on the ones you don't want to stay in on lol.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-26-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
Damn Jeremy, you always leave some of the best answers to questions like this. Good work, man you really help people out!

Anyway do what Jeremy said, and look here as well. The House Boardshop has some great Package deals.

http://www.the-house.com/wakec.html
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Love to help out when and however i can. gives me a big smile

I am not too keen on slalom ropes, but it is my understanding that waterski ropes have stretch and this is not what you want.
Now that i know you possibly have a slalom background. id like to say not to get in a habit of using a mixed (slalom grip) grip when riding. some people have a hard time dropping the habbit, if you don't have the habit then great.

BOARD
A board leaning more toward a three stage style of rocker would be good. Now-days it seems almost all boards have the option to be loose/slippery and good trackers. depending on whether the fin is in or not as alan said.
boards with multiple finns, either molded in or bolt ons (at least two total fins on each end would be a good direction to go)

FLEX is a new thing for wakeboards. Slingshot wakeboards is nothing but flex boards. Liquid Force has one "The Press" in two sizes and Obrien has the "Local" and "R5" (r5 is more for rails though). The boards flex and rebound giving extra pop to those who hold a good edge to the wake. I believe the flex boards are very good for teaching edge etiquite, but generally they are loose/slippery because they lack defined channels. The boards are channelless in order to maintain good flex, the channels would make the boards ridged and flex weired. they track as well on edge and in your control. Deffinately a different ride (some love it, like myself, and some dont) and should demo if at all possible.

BOOTS
I also second the Liquid Force Vantages. By far the easiest and fastest boots to get on and off. FOOT BED is the kooshiest on the market in my opinion too.
CWB makes boots with the HINGE TECH, look into them too for ease of entry/exit.

Try at least one of each company's boots on in the store to get a general idea of what you like. jump up and down on one foot with them on to test the koosh and lean forward and back for an idea of support
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Speaking of flex boards,
flex boasts of the softest landings out there, many of the riders agree as well.
SO, soft landings will be another question of character you will want to ask about your ride. I think i can be safe to say that no one wants a board that lands "hard" so no one will be designing them as such. belly features is what you will want to look for.
Many boards that are not "flex boards" have some kind of belly features, such as a center spine (or two) that runs down the center.

To list a few boards that i think fit your demands (not by any means an exhaustive list)(note: some of these shapes will be the same in previous years. also, disclaimer: i personally have not ridden most of these)
OBRIEN- Clutch, Natural (reviews boast of soft landingest board for obrien), Valhala, Vice. All these boards have obriens delta base which is patterned after the design on the bottoms of speed boats, so each will boast of speed.
CWB- Transcend, Marius (marius is actually continuous rocker but it has a rocker line that bends more on the corners and is kind of a hybrid in a way. Also is known for soft landings)
GATOR- im not to keen with my gator knowledge, so i'l skip this one
HYPERLITE- B-side, Era, Murray? (2008 specifically. New hybrid rocker shape)Tribute
LIQUID FORCE- Lyman (new for 2008), witness, shane (reviewed as a good soft landing board)
RONIX- one(but i want to think that the opinions of soft landings are not the highest, but good reviews none the less)
SLINGSHOT- if you like the idea of flex- recoil
Old     (roller24)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-26-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
im looking at a ronix mana, vault, and one. and probably the vantage or lf transit boot.
you guys have helped a ton!!
thanks!!