Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-18-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hey all...1st post, hoping for a warm response. Been lurking all Summer while surfin' it up on my 5'6" Broadcast. I have literally read all of the posts dating back to last year but still looking for some advice. Keeping with the trend, I have quickly outgrown the Broadcast and I'm looking for the best board to take it to the next level. I did have the pleasure of riding an IS limited woody (not sure which one though, I think it was equivalent to the IS blue)? when I was just starting out and LOVED IT! My buddy just picked up the Red Tide and I HATE IT! It porpoises and buries the nose every time. The buoyancy factor wasn't that big of a deal for me, but might be for lighter riders and/or the chicas. I am 6' and 190lbs. I actually like the overall size and feel of the Broadcast but it is just waaaay too slow. We are surfing with a DD Mobius with about 1,800 lbs total ballast. Steep wake and small pocket. Working on stretching the wake, but it is what it is. Constant challenge to stay in the relatively small pocket and the Broadcast just leaves no room for error. We're starting to experiemnt with a few tricks but it's just not happening on the Broadcast. Most of my crew are mid-thirties and/or beginners and girls. Will keep the Broadcast for them. We probably will never get too jiggy with it but would like to pull 3's, shuvs and maybe a small air every once in awhile. I'd say we are surf-style all the way, although I have a solid skate background. In summary, I want a faster board that is a logical progression from the Braodcast with intermediate trick ability. Surprised how many choices there are all of a sudden and for $500 a pop, I want to be sure I get the right board this time around! Oogle? Loogie? Walzer? SS? I know this is a redundant type post but each rider, their style and boats deserve an individual look. I really appreciate any advice...Thanks all!!!

We surf Mile High!!!
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-18-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
Demo an Oogle, I think that's your ticket.

(Message edited by loc@wakeoutlaws.com on July 18, 2007)
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-18-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
My daughter recent won a Shred Stix JaMako. It is a great board for extending the pocket. It is my favorite board to ride. Don't think it would be a good board for shuvits. I also highly recommend a Walzer which is a skim style board. I've seen James Walker do some amazing things with a Walker Project Bullet (720s, 360 shuvs, big air). The Loogie is also a very nice board. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these boards.

(Message edited by Norris_laker on July 18, 2007)

(Message edited by Norris_laker on July 18, 2007)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-18-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
The Walker Project Bullet might be a good board for you. James Walker rides the Bullet 4'6" length. You can order any length. I would think the Bullet about 4'8" or so would work at your size. It is a surfstyle board but James does do shuv's on it with 4" fins. Will do everything else you asked for. Very quick board rail to rail. I just orderd a 5'3" Bullet and I weigh 265. www.thewalkerproject.com
Old    4sher            07-19-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
Hey Marc-

I can see why the Red Tide didn't work for you. You have "a steep wake and small pocket". That board was designed for bigger riders on big wakes or smaller riders on small wakes (usually longer and not steep). It's just not the right size for you or your wake. A shorter, wider board would be best for the type of wake you describe.
Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys..I'm thinking around a 5' would be right. Unfortunately, we are limited to IS or the big guys here in CO as far as demos go. So what's the fastest board I can get?
Old    4sher            07-19-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
The Yellow Loogey is one of the fastest boards on the market. Here is a review:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/455744.html?1181968239
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Hey Marc, I just bought me my second board recently and feel my situation was similar to yours. I only know what I've experienced so take it for what it is. I too have been riding a Broadcast for the last few years and felt like it was time for something else. I read everything I could on the available boards here on Wakeworld and ended up going with a Walzer Alpha. I got it about a month ago and have been loving it. I feel that it has a lot of potential and I need to increase my skill.

There are big differences in the Broadcast and the Walzer. First thing you notice is how freaking light it is. You notice a huge boyancy differance in the water which I believe is part of the reason the Walzer is so fast. It allows you to fall back in the pocket without the wake crashing on you and pulling you back.

The difference that I'm trying to get used to is how loose in comparison the Walzer is. With three or even just two fins the broadcast tracks well and is hard to break loose. The Walzer wants to break loose often so you have to control it more. But with that comes the ability to do different tricks.

If you want a surf style board where you can carve hard and do big bottom turns I'm not sure the Walzer is the best for doing that for us intermediate surfers but if you want an fast loose board that can do a little of everyting the Walzer may be a good choice.

Oh, and the Walzer is only $375.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
walzer !!!!!
Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Kenny & Caddy~ Sure do like the Walzers. I think in all honestly I'd be doing about 50% cruising/carving/turning and about 50% tricks riding.

I like the way you summed it up..."fast loose board that will do a little of everyting"

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Now...hypothetically speaking, if I had to lean one way or the other, I'd have to say I'll be cruising/carving more of the time. Is there another Walzer better suited that might track slightly more stable but still break loose when I want it to? Price is no object this time around (I'm not loaded but willing to drop the $$$ for the perfect board).

Thanks again to all, really not a noob to riding but I am to all of the board technology.

Bound to cover just a little more ground...
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Hey Marc,
Here is the review of the Walker Project Bullet. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/464937.html?1182343206
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-19-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
upon request you can have the rocker and fin placement adjusted to make a Walzer more stable when cruising but still retain most of the feel of a standard setup.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
what year is your boat? thats the same setup i ride..
Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
It's an '04 Mobius LS. We're running a full tank of gas (like that lasts long-NOT, the rear hard tank filled about 3/4 so the weight shifts when needed, a 750lb Fly High beside the motorbox and another Fly High 400lb'er in the locker. Need to add another couple hundred pounds on the front seat I think to try and stretch the wake a bit (and a snap bow cover cover to ward off the stinkin rollers). Love to hear bout your setup!?! More importnatly, what board are you riding???
Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
WOW...I've gotta' say my head is spinning even more than before. The ability to customize these boards is, exactly as they say, either a blessing or a curse. Someboady just tell me which board to buy for chrissakes ;) (Where's my Wife when I need her, lol!) Man, this is going to be harder than I thought...
Old    surfdad            07-19-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
Oh my! Mostly sounds like a "buy mine!" thread :-) There are quite a few great boards aren't there Marc? AND with some customization from the likes of Walzer and WP it just makes it worse.

I still think you need to paint a better picture for us, let's go back to the tricks for a minute. The one trick that is the deal breaker is the shuv. I think that's why Loc suggested you look at the Oogle. When you land the shuv and the board is revert (fins first) the twin fin and thruster configurations really are a problem. The side fin closest to the wake wants to grab and makes it really hard to learn a shuv, or shuv based tricks like a big spin.

If you come from a solid skate background, you might naturally aspire to skate inspired tricks.

So THAT would be my first question. How important are shuv based tricks? If you never did one, behind the boat, would you need prozac to deal with that fact? :-)

I think once we have a better feel for the tricks you really want to learn the sorting process will become easier.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
Jeff,
If you didn't give such glowing reviews of all these great boards then the choices would be easier. Just do 360 shuv's no problem with all the boards LOL
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
naw nevermind..haha. mine is a '98 lol. its still throws a perty good wave tho. i thought it mite be around the same year b/c your wave sounds exactly like mine.. tall, steep, but w/ a short pocket..

I just ride my 6' 6" shortboard rite now..haha
Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Thanks Surfdad...Shuv's would be the tricks I could do without. Honestly, we're mostly just cruising right now and trying to stay in the pocket...throwing a few short floaters and "trying" to do 180's and 360's. I sorta just lumped the shuv in there as a good intermediate trick. I just want a board that smokes, one that will keep up with the boat and be well suited for both my boat setup and riding style. I imagine airs are probably a dream at this point.

So in summary..if you were 6', 190lbs, primarily surfstyle, with one year of surfing under your belt, and using a DD boat with a steep wake and small pocket, and are hving trouble keeping up with the boat, what would you suggest? (I know that's a tall order...can you make that lowfat,no whip too) lol...

I think an IS might be my best bet as it appears to be more "off the rack" than some of the other "customizable" boards. I know they are super floaty and fast. Really wish I could demo a few but I'm going to have to order based solely on research and other's opinions. That worries me because my buddy just got his Red Tide and he is having buyer's remorse. So maybe the IS yellow (might be too short?). The IS blue (might be a tad bit too long)? Or how about the new 4-skim? I'm also surprised more folks haven't chimed in about the SS models?

Gotta' say, I've never received such a great response form any board I've ever been on! You guys rock!
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the boards above. I will note that with you throwing shuv's out, you can likely throw your 180's out. The dual or thruster fin config will bite you initially trying to spin and shuv - the single fin makes this much easier to learn.

"So in summary..if you were 6', 190lbs, primarily surfstyle, with one year of surfing under your belt, and using a DD boat with a steep wake and small pocket, and are having trouble keeping up with the boat, what would you suggest?"

#1) Skim: Phase5 Oogle
#2) Surf: Walker F-18 or Bullet (54"-58")
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
WW'ers rock! It is a great resource and repository for info. Cool, on the shuv's. If you aren't dead set on the them that open's up more options.

You're weight is just a bit high - NOT calling you fat!!! :-) But some of the boards have a 180 pound cutoff...I can remember reading somewhere that the average ocean surfer weighs 140 pounds! :-)

My bigger concern is your height. Tall folks have a wider stance and I have fund don't like the ride of smaller 4'6" boards that fit their weight. Personally, I would recommend you look at 4'10" up to around a 5'4" for your purposes. You don't really need the extra length so much, but I think it will help you accomplish 2 things. One is that the extra length (5' 'ish range) will accomodate your wider stance and also this extra length will assist with speed. This length issue is why I am excluding a few other boards (Trick Boardz, Calibrated, etc) I am going to make one exception and include the IS Yellow. The yellow is significantly shorter, but is much wider and as such, has about the saame surface area as the other boards in this general size. Plus, it's flat running length is about the same as some of the others so that the stance issue isn't so much of a problem.

Either the IS Blue - the new 5'4" model or the IS Yellow would be good options for you. I would suggest that you'll find the Yellow easier to throw surface 3's with, airs can be achieved, but since these boards are heavier they will make it harder.

SS's has some good options also. Threhser Shredder is a good all around performance board. 4'11" length will fit your stance and it does have down the line speed. A little slower than the IS Blue and Yellow, but not by much. SS also offers the Piranha, but the Thresher is the most performnace oriented of the lineup for your size.

The WP Composite X 5-oh, is a good solid surfstyle board that comes in a stock size. This board HAULS, extremely fast and is the lowest cost of the bunch at $299. Faster down-the line than the IS Yellow and SS Thresher, comparable with the IS Blue.

The IS Yellow and SS Thresher are the two most responsive rail-to-rail, then the WP Comp X 5 and finally the IS Blue.

Storage becomes an issue for some folks. The WP comp X, without traction will fit in a standard wakeboard rack, the IS's fit in some, but not mine and the SS will not.

IMO, the SS is the most complete board of the bunch. Nose and tail protectors, available in various colors and complete traction. Tough to beat.

For all around performance on a budget...the WP Comp X is the clear choice.

For ease of location, good solid performance and solid construction...the IS boards, are tough to beat.

IMO, the boards listed will perform better than an Oogle.

The Walzer Alpha in a 1" Large is another great board, but IMO isn't as fast down-the-line as the other boards. Especially as your wake diminshes with speed. Nothing against the Walzer, but for this situtaion, tall - wide stanced rider, not the best wake, attempting to ride faster to lengthen the pocket and a desire to ride more aerial/slashy...I went with the other boards.

Now comes some of the additional refining points.

You mentioned that cost wasn't really a major issue, the cheapest is the WP, the rest are all in the 500+ range. 200 is a LOT of "not important" in my book.

I would think that FINDING the board is a concern and currently, the IS's have the broadest market distribution...and you mentioned, I think, that you can find them locally.

The last consideration is storage, if you don't have a surf rack, and this is a HUGELY important option, only the WP and IS's fit - and the IS's might be a squeeze.

All of the boards have some graphics, the SS gives you 4 color choices, the WP 2 and the IS just 1. That may be important to you.

So...that's my input, you'll have to keep us posted and give us the decision criteria when you pull the trigger.

Best of luck!
Old     (iaonbb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Jeff~ You are da' man! Thanks a million times over for taking the time to write such a thorough response for me. I'm sure you have much better things to be doing! I think I have enough info to make an "educated" decison at this point. Now, for the pulling the trigger part...

On a side note, I called the local IS dealer and found out the limited ed woody I rode earlier this year is apparently the same board as last year's blue 5'6"? Does that sound right? The '07 blue is 5'4", right? I LOVED that woody when I rode it. He is going to let me demo it next weekend again, now that I know a litle more about my riding style, boat wake better dialed in, etc. It does have a small crack on the side though and they threw a sticker over it and that's why it is their demo board. Any input there? Easy to repair? If they will make a sweet deal on it, AND if I still like it as much as I did the last time, then I might have found my board! We'll see...I'll keep you posted! Again, many shout outs for both you and the WW'ers out there for the advice!
Old    surfdad            07-20-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
My Pleasure Marc, and I sure others who are in teh same boat will benefit from your question and search.

The 5'4" Blue, I believe, is referred to as a 2007.5 model. It's recognizable by the different traction from earlier models.

If the crack is superficial, you can fill it in with 2 part epoxy from your local hardware store. Tough to comment on anything but superfical cracks, especially if it's been exposed to water.