Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
I had a bit of a "run-in" with a rock this weekend and the rock won!

Anybody know of a good place to get it repaired....I would prefer not to ship but will if I need to!
Attached Images

Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-29-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
Unless that is an illusion from the angle that looks like an impossible amount of welding to fix that puppy.
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Better Pic of the more damaged blades
Attached Images

Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-29-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
Nope, not getting that fixed....I munched a prop and because it lost alot of the material they were not able to fix it. I would try and get one from http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...gory=Propeller I was able to have one fixed before at http://www.propellersofsandiego.com/ and they did a great job, so you can email them the pics and they will tell you if they can fix ti
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-30-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
Randy,

I sent the pics to props of San Diego (I got my fingers crossed)... I was down by Temple Bar on Sunday a hit a rock. The boat could go 1500 RPMs without shacking...I had to get back to Callville Bay (26 ish miles) at 8 MPH. What a long day....I am just glad I did not run out of gas...it was close.

I do not want do buy a new prop yet!
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-30-2013, 10:21 PM Reply   
http://www.theworkslv.com/LasVegas/l...peller-repair/
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-31-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
that is not repairable sorry, new prop coming, and buy a back up just in case it happens again
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-02-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
It looks like it is repairable!!!

Thank you Evil0ne, I dropped it off with Adam at Marine Prop Works this morning and should have it back by next weekend...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
ACME? Give them a call, I only let them repair my props when they get messed up. They make sure its balanced and everything before they send it back, local shops dont always do this.

Real friendly guys, nothing but good experiences when dealing with them.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-02-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
I would have only sent it back to acme. I let a local shop do mine once and it just isn't worth sending it to someone who doesn't do hundreds of these per year. I am no prop professional, but you are missing some metal there. It is going to be terribly difficult to balance.

Now you are going to have a prop that vibrates and you are going to be out $150.
Best wishes that you can report back and tell me I am messed up for giving prop advice without being a professional.

Last edited by talltigeguy; 11-02-2013 at 4:25 PM. Reason: more info
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
I would have only sent it back to acme. I let a local shop do mine once and it just isn't worth sending it to someone who doesn't do hundreds of these per year. I am no prop professional, but you are missing some metal there. It is going to be terribly difficult to balance.

Now you are going to have a prop that vibrates and you are going to be out $150.
Best wishes that you can report back and tell me I am messed up for giving prop advice without being a professional.
I got your back! You are right, send to acme like myself and talltige said!
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-02-2013, 6:08 PM Reply   
We will see!

ACME does not repair props...there are shops they use to repair them; however, at the end of the day the repair will only be as good as the technician performing the work. I did some research and the repair shop was recommended several times.

I will report back to tell everyone how it goes....
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-02-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
hmm i am very interested as i still have the prop that another shop said couldn't be repaired.
Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
Randy,

I will keep you posted. Here are some better pics of the damage.
Attached Images

Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-21-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
So got the repaired prop back...looks good the real test will come Monday on the lake...It would be this weekend however it is raining in Las Vegas!!!!!!!!! So Monday it is....
Attached Images

Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-25-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
So...I have gotten the boat out on the lake to test the repaired prop and would like to share the outcome. First I could not tell the prop was ever damaged. I reached the same top speed at the same RPM as before. We actually surfed today with Factory ballast (Left side 1,250 lbs) plus 2 x 750 lbs bags and two passengers with no issues with getting out of the water.

Marine Propeller Works of Las Vegas performed the repair for $250...I hope I do not have to but if I do I will use them again if I need repairs.

(They said they have repaired props that were more damaged then mine)

The general consensus by posters was the prop was not repairable...well I took a chance and it paid off...I would not be so quick to scrap damaged props.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-25-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the follow up and yes, i didn't think it was repairable. I have one that was not nearly as bad as yours sol i'll give them a ring to see how much it would be, as i would love to have a back up prop for river trips....Thanks
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-13-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
I've had this Acme 1235 hanging on the wall as a trophy since I ran it up too far on the trailer. Maybe I need to pull it down and get it fixed! I thought it was a goner, but it looks great next to yours!!Name:  20140309_094256.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  150.4 KB
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-13-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
Didn't surprise me at all that this prop got fixed. I took a 1235 in that was worse and $250 later was good as new. If the shop has the experience and the correct molds or blocks what ever they are called almost any prop can be fixed according to the guy that did mine. Just a matter of how much do you want to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-13-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
Wow. Should still have a back up though. I didn't think that was repairable
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2014, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
We will see!

ACME does not repair props...there are shops they use to repair them; however, at the end of the day the repair will only be as good as the technician performing the work. I did some research and the repair shop was recommended several times.

I will report back to tell everyone how it goes....
What are you talking about? Ive sent ACME 2 props to have them fix... they are great to work with, and super friendly. They are the only guys that dont just set the prop in a die and hammer it.... By sending the prop back to acme you will get a prop back that has the correct dimensions and balance....which makes all the difference when its spinning at 5k RPM+

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 03-16-2014 at 10:46 AM.