Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-22-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
Two nice boats in my area. Closest CC dealer in Orlando. Both loaded up very similar BU has a bit more to it wedge. Awesome BU dealership in the area but boat not at his locations. Both very clean and 500 hrs. What are peoples thoughts.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-22-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Coming from a guy who had an 02 VLX, I'd go with the SAN. The SAN will throw a better wake with less weight. The resale on the SAN will be better for longer. Everyone loves that hull, while the Bu is three hulls ago. I don't think that you would every have a hard time unloading the SAN, while the Bu may sit for longer.

SAN Pros:
less fuel consumption
better wake/less weight
better resale
more desirable
better build
bulletproof motor (GT40)

SAN cons:
less interior space

Bu pros:
more interior space
nicer interior

Bu cons:
It's not a SAN
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-22-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
SAN
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-22-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
SAN
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
SAN
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-22-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Do you like a steep wake or a rampy wake. I don't really know from experience but aren't these boats on the opposite side of the spectrum?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-22-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
SAN
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
What do you want the boat to do? Are you taking out your family or trying to get a wake-machine?

If your riding with less than 6 people consistently, want a boat that throws a great wake with little weight then you want the SAN. If your taking out the family, ride with lots of people and not so serious about a major sized wake then the bu may be better.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-22-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
SAN all the way!!!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-22-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
SAN
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-22-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
I have had both boats and would say SAN!!!
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-22-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
I have spent a lot of time in both boats. I owned a 2002 vlx and my buddy owns a 2002 SAN. I loved the vlx and still miss it to this day. With a little extra weight than the stock ballast the VLX is awesome. It also handles a lot better than the SAN does.
The SAN does have a nice wake but still have to add extra weight. Not to mention its hard for people to ride it that aren't use to it because it is so steep. It's like hitting a wall, but good for a lot of air-time. A huge downfall for the SAN is the wake is very touchy. If somebody farts in the boat the wake changes.
It depends on what you are going to use the boat for. If you are a hardcore guy that just wants to go big then go with the SAN. If you like the room and have a versatility of riders. Then definitely the VLX
As far as holding value goes. They are very similar. They both are going to hold value because the are both wanted. I actually sold my VLX for 3 thousand more than what i paid for it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
I agree with a lot of what boardingitup said, except for the handling. Those Bu hulls are known to chine lock when challenged with a tight turn and a lot of weight.

The San will make a tight turn even when weigthed to the max.

SAN: the wake IS bigger, but finecky and challenging for the beginner as mentioned above.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-23-2008, 4:49 AM Reply   
Super Air. 2002 is the second best year of the boat's entire run.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
I am 38 y/o guy that wont be doing anything crazy just some wake to wake stuff. I have 2 year olds so probably going to be more of a family boat but will occasionally have a few intermediate riders in the boat. Most the time it will be 3-5 people in the boat at most pulling beginners.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-23-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
i love this post finally see that people know that SAN is the best boat. Even Shawn knows and he had a Bu
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-23-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
Scott, I never said the SAN was the best boat, I just said that I would choose one over an 02 VLX. Personally, I think that the best boat is the X Star, I just answered his question.
Old    svfara            09-23-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
I have an '03 SAN, and a friend has an '03 VLX.

As for the wake, it really comes down to preference, both can be great in their own right.
Personally I love the wake on the SAN, and it gets much better gas mileage than the BU.

I have to disagree with J-Rod on the handling though, the lake I ride requires a very tight U-turn at each end, and the VLX will turn extremely tight (even fully weighted)
I find the SAN requires a much much bigger radius to turn
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
If this will be more of a family boat, then I think the nod goes to the BU. The SAN wake is harder to learn on with a punishing table if you land short. Can't disagree with anything Boarditup posted.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-23-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
I will buck the general trend here and say I prefer the VLX. More storage for family stuff, don't have to restrict where your kids sit as much to balance the wake. Larger landing area on wake transition (which I greatly prefer)

This is all details though, as you can't go wrong with either boat.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
The bu will be a lot better for what you plan to do with it. Most of the peeps on here suggesting the SAN are saying so as that's what they would personally choose....as a rider looking for the biggest/best wake for the weight needed. You wont be giving up much in terms of the wake with regards to anyone's level that's below advanced by going with the bu....IMHO. Stock ballast on the bu should be plenty large enough for you and your crew.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Ohh yah, you can get plenty of wake out of that hull if you want it. Here is 80ft, 26mph, 5'10" rider.
Upload
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Seems like for pure wake machine SAN for an intermediate and beginner with family the BU is the way to go. Thanks guys I am kind of leaning that way due to the fact the Bu dealer is close and a great dealer as well.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
If the Malibu dealer is great, the boat is great and you are more comfortable with that decision, your choice is easy..... Added bonus, you can't really lose with your choices......

But to make that decision based on the notion that the '02 SAN is not a family friendly boat is amusing. I spend more time in my boat('03 SAN) with my wife, 12 year old son & 3 year old daughter than any other "crew" and never regretted my decision. I have never wished I had a "more family friendly" boat....or hull....or whatever we think makes it less family friendly than the '02 VLX or 205V hulled Mastercraft(XStar/X2/X1) that was in my final 3.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-29-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Is there ways to mellow out the wake? The owner of the SAN is starting to get real aggressive not sure I can get a loan now though.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
Lots of bow weight makes it more rampy

our 210 - like 900lbs rear and 700lbs front not too steep
Upload
Upload
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-29-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if the integrated bow sack will work in a SAN? That wake is giant for most our needs. Not worried about side just heard its often like hitting a brick wall. On the plus side at a 91" beam is super garage friendly.
Old    K.B.C.            09-29-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
yes it will work. I have two friends with SANs that use the integrated sac
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
Go Nautique!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
we use the big triangle bow sack up under the playpen seating....and you know when its full because it starts to spread the windshield apart

won't fill 100% but gets about 700lbs in it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-29-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Both are really good boat's but I'm on the SANTE side. I ride with a buddie that has a 2002 and the boat is great. Plenty of space for a good size crew and enought wake to make a Pro smile. We always run stock on the boat and the wake is perfect for everybody. We put in 2000 on top of stock once and it was crazy big! Drive them both but if it were me SAN all the way. Here is the 02 we ride and the wake it throws out. Also the SAN just looks so good in the water!
Upload
Upload
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-30-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
E.J. - You're a seasoned vet here, so I'm sure you knew that "family friendly" only refers to the added width, better seating layout, and overall bigger "feel" of interior space in the VLX vs the SAN. Obviously you chose the right boat for your family, but for Tampa....I think the general consensus is that there is more room to move around inside the VLX than the SAN....and nobody wants to feel cramped in a boat with kids and gear and snacks and toys and.....well, you get the idea. And don't even get me started on the clamshell with a boat full of people!

Personally, I owned '98 VLX (which I think is the hull previous to the '02) and found that with a small crew of serious riders, my buddies '02 SAN wake was much better for us than my old boat. Sounds like you have a tough decision to make....both are great boats....if condition and price are similar, it may come down to the one that gives you that oh-so-good "feeling" when you drive it. Good luck....
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-30-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
I had 4 adults and 4 kids in my boat last saturday and had plenty of room. My 98 Super Sport is the same floorplan as a SAN. I buy a boat to wakeboard behind because I like the wake first then the room. If you like the wake then you deal with the other. Just my two cents.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
SAN!!!!
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       09-30-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
DFTR,
I love that boat. Super clean and simple.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-01-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
This to me has been one of the MOST objective threads about boats I have seen on WW. Thanks guys demoing the BU today and hopefully this week or next the SAN.