Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-30-2011, 5:20 AM Reply   
Ok,
I picked up a grindwater slayshe on closeout from my local shop and got to ride it yesterday.
For the life of me I couldn't get it to ride in the pocket.
My wave is pretty decent and I can ride all day on my wave using my lf custom or my buddy's IS squirt, xxx, and even his hyperlight of a board.

I noticed it has more tail rocker then the other boards but I was really looking forward to trying a more surf based board but after dumping nearly 400 on it I was about ready to break it in half.

Anyone want to trade a GW Slayshe for a IS mucus??? lol Only seen the water once.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2011, 1:44 AM Reply   
We just met up with a family this Saturday to help them wakesurf. They had the 5'6" mauka? is it called, but its basically a longer slaysh, for bigger guys. The dealership told them that would be better for them and told them how well it would work. They told us they were having trouble "finding the pocket", which we hear a lot. First, we bought them our boat, they had a malibu 21ft direct drive, so tough wake, but we gave them some pointers to help. On our boat, big wake, that board (slaysh/mauka/whatever) could barely keep up and the guy riding was 250. We had a lakewakes 5'4" board, and the funny thing is, this is a demo "blemish" board. I say "blemish" because lakewakes sent us a 5'4" and a 5'2" for demo purposes, and the 5'2" was great, fun board. But the 5'4" was slower than it should have been. So Mark fixed the 5'4" to be like the 5'2" for future people, but we just held on to the 5'4", use it for tandem and stuff. Anyway, its all we had, and we even left in the 3rd fin, and both these guys got up and were throwing in the rope almost right away, on a board that we know is not 100%.

The same thing happened a couple weeks before with another family, they had a CWB ride. The thing is, there is a HUGE difference between the rest, and The Walker Project, Shredstixx, Inland Surfer. And then smaller guys like Soulcraft make some good boards, and Lakewakes also makes some good boards. But the big manufacturers, coming from wakeboarding, just seem to suck, every time we have any experience with them. (I am probably missing some others, not purposely leaving anyone out. For instance, I have no experience with XXX)

The only board I have had some experience with that works ok, is the hyperlite landlock. Its big, heavy, but it gets people up and its surfable.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, gotta stick with the wake surf specific companies.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
Damn Ragboy I knew you liked to promote the sport,but you bought them a boat like yours so they could have a good wave for their new board?
?
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
I was the silly guy who couldn't go ropeless on Ragboy's monstrous wake using the CWB ride. Ragboy is a true asset to this sport. Now I may have to look for a lakewakes board to surf (5'2") by the sounds of it.

m-
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       07-05-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
i have found that the grind water boards need upgraded fins to stay in the pocket well. I hooked up a guy that was riding a ginsu with some new fins and it made a HUGE difference. I cant remember what fins i got him but i could find out. If you are interested shoot me a pm. Also you could go to any surf shop and ask for some FCS fins. They should drop right in
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post
i have found that the grind water boards need upgraded fins to stay in the pocket well. I hooked up a guy that was riding a ginsu with some new fins and it made a HUGE difference. I cant remember what fins i got him but i could find out. If you are interested shoot me a pm. Also you could go to any surf shop and ask for some FCS fins. They should drop right in
Will this option work on the CWB board?

m-
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       07-05-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
i dont think so. I dont believe they use the right fin boxes. You could potentially customize something to work but i think you are better of getting a different board there. The cwb and hyperlite board in my experience are super heavy and dont carry much speed. I am a decent wakesurfer and I really struggle when i am on those boards.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
Both those board, the ride and the mauka were slow, and maybe fins would help, but I don't think fins would make enough difference. I have some video I will post in the next week with the daijagos and the brubakers. One thing I have learned, mostly from asking Dennis lots of questions, is the tail configuration and rocker for wakesurfing is much different than ocean surfing. As soon as I saw the Mauka, I knew it was going to be slow, and it was. 5'6" should have carried both of those guys with ease.

The Lakewakes 5.2 will work, and so will something like a TWP Bazooka. If you are looking for something quick, see what CMS has in stock, talk to Mitch, my favorite Lawn Gnome. ;-)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
By the way, I should add, I am not trying to bash anyone's board, even though I seem to have done a decent job of that. It has just been very frustrating for me going out and helping some of these folks who are told stuff by their shop or dealership that just doesn't work, and they drop some serious coin, and find out their new board will work best for their kids to paddle on when they swim. So maybe over time, the word will get out better.

Lastly, the daijagos had a MB Sports boat, a Tomcat? Don't remember, but a boat capable of throwing a good surf wake, so they will have more choices of boards. The Brubakers had a 21ft malibu DD, and are going to need something like the 5.2 or 5.4 lakewakes board because they are going to have a smaller wake, and need more surface area to float them.

so back to cowboy, you boat/wake will also make a big difference in your board choices.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
Lastly, the daijagos had a MB Sports boat, a Tomcat?
You are correct sir. I have an F21 Tomcat. I may have to make a trip after all to CMS to check them out. They are a bit out of the way.

m-
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-05-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
I even tried the board with no fins.
Honestly my LF custom has done me decent except for being fragile.
Like you said ragboy, I had a local shop suggest it and now wish I had instead spent my money online.
I tried it and even my buddy tried it who probably has 75lbs on me(I'm 200lb) and neither of us could even really get slack let alone free ride.
I have a 6'5 salt water tri-fin that I can ride behind my boat for as long as I want without the rope.
I was just wanting to make sure I am not way off or is there some secret to riding this darned thing.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
I mean, RJ or some other real good rider could probably ride it fine, but they could probably also do the same thing with a log. Its just a bummer that dealerships and shops are selling poor product when it comes to wakesurfing.