Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
here are my two choices:

Boss MR1200S $90
subwoofer output (bass max)
dual rca outputs
50w x 4 channel
built in amp

vs.

Clarion XMD1 (refurbished) $100
45w x 4 channel
4 channel line level output
4 channel speaker level output
front/rear preamp outputs (2 sets)
rms power output: 16w x 4

I was also interested in this amplifier to power the receiver and a sub...

Blaupunkt PA2150 $90
150 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms
200 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms
variable high/low pass crossovers
preamp outputs

I don't need a system to rock the whole lake, just want something decent. Would I need one or two amps?
I also want a receiver that will handle some wave action on the water and not be skipping all the time.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
if you plan on running a amp or amps... would suggest a minimum of 5 volts for pre-amp output..
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Is that on the receiver or on the amp?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
Pioneer GM3000T power amplifier offers big sound in a small package, measuring only 6-1/8 inches wide.
Offers 1, 2, and 3-channel operation (including a bridged 100W x 1 into 4 ohms), plus a Hi-Volt Input Level Control (400mV ~ 6.5V) and a Selectable Low-Pass Filter for added control and flexibility.
GM-3000T features a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit that efficiently outputs only the lower frequencies - perfect for powering a sub.
Oversized screw-type power/ground terminals and RCA inputs are provided with the GM3000T, and the 2-channel speaker level input offers added control.
Peak Music Power: 200 Watts.
Number of Channels: 2.
Load Impedance Capability: 2- 8 Ohm (Stereo), 4-8 Ohm (Bridged).
Continuous Power (4 ohm): 40W x 2.
Continuous Power (2 ohm): 50W x 2.
Continuous Power Bridged (4 ohm): 100W x 1.
Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 45kHz.
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.008%.
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB.
Dimensions: 12" x 2-3/8" x 6-1/8".
Bridgeable.
Channel # Capability: 1/2/3.
PWM Regulated MOSFET Power Supply.
Screw-Type Speaker Terminals.
Balanced Isolator Input Circuit.
RCA Inputs: 2 Channel.
Speaker Level Input: 2 Channel.
Input Level Control: Hi-Volt (400mV - 6.5V).
Built-in Crossover: Selectable LPF (80Hz, -12dB/Oct.).

This is an amp already in the boat but as far as I can tell, it's only hooked up to the sub.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 11:40 AM Reply   
Pioneer TS-G1647 speakers
PET silver film cone tweeter
foamed injection-molded poly woofer
fits 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings
frequency response 35-22,000 Hz
recommended power range 2-30 watts RMS
peak power handling 150 watts
sensitivity 92 dB

And these are the speakers already mounted on the dash of the boat.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
clubmyke is recommending that your deck have a higher line level output.

I have used that deck and it is a good value if you need a wired remote since it is included. The rough water performance is so so, it has only one set of line outs, and the remote is not waterproof. You might want to consider the Rockford Fosgate marine deck.

I have had good luck with the Blaupunkt amp too but they can be sensitive to engine noise and a few other quirks. They are small and ugly but they seem to produce a decent amount of power.

Mike
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
ronia,

that is the output from the deck at the preamp level.....

most decks have 2 different types of outputs...

internal amp- most internal amps are too low powered,. they are 4-10 watt x 4 channels. this is wires that come out from the back of the deck and conncect directly to the speaker.

preamp- this ouput(rca connectors) is what is used to connect to a external amplifer via rca connectors. these are measured by voltage (1 volt=2.83 watts).... if you are going to run external amps ( highly recommomended) the output from the rca's should be at least 5 volts). then the speaker are connected to the higher powered amp.

boats require alot more power as do subs..much more power than expected.....

a lot will depend on your budget and how much you would like to spend..

would suggest putting together a budget of how much you would like to spend and deceide on the system design..

regarding the deck- there is alot to chose from. a big deceiding factor will be if you want a marine remote on the boat...

if you are considering amps...tough call....most "good" amps are american.. would suggest jl audio,ppi,older rockford fosgate,zapco... they may cost a little more, but will sound better and go louder (needed on a boat) and be more reliable. you can find some good deals on ebay...needless to say buy from a relaible seller..

btw, blaupunkt first 2 amps were designed and built by zapco in the usa... they come up once in a while on ebay and are fantastic amps ( 2120b and 5350b) for very reasonable prices unless someone know what they are..

hope that helps,

mike

(Message edited by clubmyke on January 26, 2005)
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Mike, that helps a lot.
I do not want a marine remote on the boat and I'm trying to stay as inexpensive as possible for the receiver.
What do you suggest?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       01-26-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
I'm replacing my whole boat stereo this winter.

I'll sell you my JVC head unit and the 12 disc CD changer together for 100 bucks plus shipping. It's a CH-X 400 cd changer and I can't remember the model of the head unit but I can get it, but it is am/fm cassette, with CD changer control, 4 pre-set equalizer modes, 12 am and fm presets and removable face. Has one set of pre-outs. It's 4 channel with 50w peak, probably about 23 RMS per channel.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
uhmmm... tough call....

the problem with inexpensive(new) is you get what you pay for or used /better quality you dont get a warranty...which i have always used...

general rue of thumb...anything with moving parts will eventaully need service...i will pick amps used off ebay but head units/changers new from local dealer...

would suggest checking with you local authorized dealer and look for 5 volt alpine or eclipse(3 year warranty) that is last years model at a great price...but since they are in a boat,if they get water damaged the warranty doesnt apply

(Message edited by clubmyke on January 26, 2005)