Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Quick question for anyone who has another idea that may work...

I want to get the effect of being near water at night, that great ripple/moving action of water that reflects all over but I want to do it in my room at school.

my two ideas are as follows, which of them/other ideas do you think will work best for this effect
1. get a baking type pan, fill with water and have a mirror cover the bottom but at an angle... then shine a light into the mirror at whatever angle will reflect it to my ceiling and get a little fish pump thing to keep the water moving.
2. get a small fish tank and blast the light from under and keep the water moving by the same method.

I would like this, without buying a reaaaaaal $$$$ projector -- Thanks!
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-06-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
I know that $$$$ means different things to everyone, but brand new water projectors from established names in dj/club lights are all over ebay for $59 and $69 bucks. By the time you buy an aquarium, pump, etc, you may be better off to spend $20 more to eliminate the hassle and buy something that's intended to do what you want.

Of course, creativity is cool too.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
I got a mirror that fits for $1.50 at a thrift store, a turkey pan type thing for $2, fish air pump and hose for $6.... so I figured I'll give that a whirl.... I'm only out $10 with tax.... otherwise what did you search for on ebay to get those sort of projectors?

The ones I saw were all like $2000 and for like clubs and ****
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-07-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
I typed in "water effect light". There are more expensive ones, to be sure, but there are lots that are $59 - $69.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-07-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
I got a pretty sweet rig that only ran me $20. ... counting the failed attempt.

Its a small/medium black garbage can with a power strip and 5 blue LED nightlights point straight up.... over the garbage a wide glass vase that has a bunch of angles in it (shoots the light all over)... just some water in the vase... and a fish tank air pump to turn up the water (I think I may get a small desk fan to give more action)

it works well. My ceiling and far wall from my bed have the effect well and it isn't to bright... my main goal was to have it lull me to sleep...the nice sounds of water moving and the reflections are super relaxing
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-07-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
I checked the reviews on the cheap ones and most people said they get pretty hot and are heavy.... I may buy one just for kicks but for now I'm happy with my jerry-rig one