Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-25-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Hey guys whats a good board for riding at a cable park (i.e. ramps, rails, etc.). I've got a Hyperlite State I use behind the boat but don't want to mess that board up on the ramps and rails... Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I've been looking at the 09 Hyperlite Roam. Is that any good for this purpose?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-25-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
look honestly the roam is fun but limiting. I would suggest either the company severance or the slingshot reflex would be awesome. I use the company its a great cable board, good for air tricks and great for obstacles.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-25-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I use a slingshot recoil and love it, see a lot of people ripping slingshot reflexes and responses so pretty much any slingshot board (or company) i think you will have fun with.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
+1 Slingshot Reflex best cable board ever!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-25-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
Slingshot. i have not been hitting rails more than a month now, but seeing (traditional foam core) boards that are just as new to rails or newer getting ripped open on the bottom re-convinces me that slingshot is solid (wake and rails)! slingshot's service is top notch too. them boys are willing to work with you through anything

there are some models from various companies that have special slider bases on them, but i cant speak for those out of experience. Obrien's R5 and Local apparently have a warranty even for sliders which is kool... again i can't speak from experience on these.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-26-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
If you want to stick with Hyperlite check out the Hyperlite Clash, Nick Davies Cable Board.
Old    wakejjboard12            08-26-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
+1 for any slingshot
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-26-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
My buddy and I are going to be sharing the board. Not looking to spend too much on the board since we each have our own boards to ride behind the boat. Just don't want to mess up our boards riding rails, sliders, etc. We won't be doing any crazy tricks either, just going out there and having some fun on a Sesitech 2.0

If I were to go with the Roam should we be riding a 140 or 145? I normally ride a 140 and he rides a 138-9. He's 160 and I'm 170-175. Not sure if with the flex board we should go for the 145 instead of the 140?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-26-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
Hyperlite Clash or the Marek!
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-26-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Slingshot!!!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-26-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
99% of the best cable riders in the world ride non flex boards. So I wonder if slingshot would actually be the best...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-26-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
^ 99% of the people riding at cables aren't the best cable riders.... if you want a good board that will hold up well on rails and be a boat load of fun to ride you have one option...
Slingshot.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Liquid Force Grind base. you can get some older ones on the cheap too. Foam board, but the grind base allows it to take the abuse from rails and sliders

http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17671&cat=600&page=1
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-26-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
or if i got free boards from one company i would say that was the best one and recomend buying a 700 dollar board to mash it on rails.....
Old     (tenniswiz37)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-26-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
have you ever tried a slingshot board, i had an 09 hyperlite state then switched to a 3ds 139 and then went to slingshotd demo day at a cable park and i was hooked, im ordering a reflex 141 in like 2 days, anyone i know thats tried slingshot has never gone back to a normal solid board
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-27-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
I agree with ya Riley 99% of the best riders do ride non flex boards & my favourite is the witness.And Toms new grind model is perfect if u want something that will last a long time & will still hold a hard fast edge.
But if you only want to hit rails than one of the slingshot kite boards will do the trick but then again so will pretty much anything.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-27-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
I really like the liquid force grind base boards. I ride a PS3 right now but I prefer the witness. The slingshots are super fun and this years boards have a great base on them. Plus both company's service departments are top notch. So if you are looking for a flex board I would go with Slingshot(until next years Watson hybrid or Henshaw's flex comes out) or if you want a nonflex board get a Liquid Force. Both board companies are great. I didn't like the company on the sliders and obstacles. There isn't base on them and they don't slide as well.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-27-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
If Reuben says it... It's true!

Slingshots are cool for the rails but if you want something to progress into air tricks I would follow the lead of the best riders and go non-flex.
Old     (mccormicks_cable_park)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-27-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
we have slingshots for demo and have a full line of ps3 s and the witness grind bases boards on sale.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-27-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
just to play devils advocate, the company I ride is sick for air tricks, not claiming to be amongst the best but I can throw down some tech air tricks on the company, never held me back, and I was on the PS3 before so I have a good comparison. Honestly tho its always more the rider than the board, davies, sofer all those guys could shred on a flex if they chose too. Im thinking the new hybrid type boards could be the ticket tho, pretty keen to demo the new LF stuff, and the new company vandall
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
forgive me for running with the tangent here

about half of the board companies don't offer a board featuring flex that was made for BOTH professional riding on rails and water/wake. Ronix, Hyperlite, Gator, and J-star don't.

CWB enters the game in 2010
LF deepened their involvement with the wood and foam sandwich construction in 2010

Flex features will influence (not dominate) the entire industry. its a matter of time IMO. Those that don't carry it will indefinitely NOT support it. if anything they will fight it (with no avail in the end). Marine Products reps had to be the absolute most negative people i ever met when it came to flex... now they carry Company's gear. kinda cracks me up.

of course most top pro riders don't ride flex. technically they wont, unless they switch teams and break contracts i bet. unless i am mistaken about the bonds of some of these contracts and such. i mean, thats what our economy is about. one cant go supporting a competitors goods.

Randall going from a statement of "i imagine flex boards folding in on me on impact" (paraphrasing) to becoming a part owner of a wakeboard company that believes in flex FEATURES (emmphasis on feature and not "flex boards") is possibly the best example we have in recent

Hybridization!! bring it on. 3 stage and continuous have been hybridized. cant wait to see more happy mediums and more choices overall

this kinda thing would probably be the one thing that would drive me crazy if i were to have a job in the industry (which would be AWESOME). not being able to have the freedom to support it All. of course i have my preferences though, we all do

Try all the boards you can and pick what you like best. if you live remotely (not many wake stores near you), try T&Cwake store on line. one of the few places i know of with a demo program
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
speaking of CWB in on the flex thing this coming year.
here is a video description for gabe lucas' new pro model "made for hitting rocks" if you will ;)

http://www.thewakeplace.com/?p=688
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Alright so I went back out to ride the cable today and this time I demoed a Liquid Force Press 142. Wayyyy looser than my State (of course) but I like the board. I guess its all a matter of testing out the different boards....
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if you can use the C-Dub 6-Plate bindings on an 08+ Slingshot Response?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
they will fit best on 09 and newer slingshots. they will fit on the 08 ones too most likely, but you might not be able to utilize all the holes
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-01-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
The Tom Fooshee board, The new witness grind!