Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (chris_tige_20v)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-02-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
trying to upgrade and having a hard time deciding the boat. either boat i can buy for about the same price, please help
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
i would go with the x-45 its a great boat and u cant get 18 ppl into the lsv
Old     (chris_tige_20v)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-02-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
mike just so happens that i would buy from your boy Tony, if i go with the X-45
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
08 23 LSV or consider the 247.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-02-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
how bout the new x-35 from MC, some cool new features on that boat..fridge and sink to name a few
Old     (chris_tige_20v)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-02-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
x-35 won't be out for awhile, and sink and fridge sounds like it's a houseboat
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-02-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
you know my answer
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-02-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
...and thats a bad thing?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Well Chris u have to get the 45 then its an awesome boat, did u go to our demo days last sturday? which X-45 are u looking at will u order it or is it one that we are getting?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-02-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
mike were u there?
Old     (dtr)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-02-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
Been on both boats and both are great. Lsv has more a pro level wake. X-45 has more room and is more family oriented. All depends on your needs and what you want out of the boat but cant go wronge with either one
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
Billy yeah i was there all day, did u go?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-02-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
yea i actually came with the guy who posted this. we went out in the 45 and i rode behind it. water conditions were a joke and it was windy. and i definately wasnt feeling the big ol' boats trailing behind me. lol. i was up with the cwb guys for a while in the bar area.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
dude i was probaly talking to u then because i was up hanging with C.M., Matt, Billy, etc. for most of the day unless i took a boat out. did u demo any boards? how did u like the 45?
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-02-2007, 10:40 PM Reply   
get the 45. Better construction overall. wake is nice and the surf wake is nice with 3 people in the boat. what engine are you looking at?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
45 all the way. More room, removable carpet, soft ride in chop. Just a solid boat IMO.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
I've only been in an X45 but thought it was an incredible boat. I loved the wake and everything about it.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-03-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
23LSV Just for the fact that it handles better, better holeshots, more comfortable interior, larger factory wake, and it has an amazing rough water ride.

again, why not the 247?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
The X45 handles incredible! Zane and I took the X45 through a slalom course at 30 mph not straight but around the outside buoys. For being 24ft long and 102" wide I thought that was pretty good.
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-03-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
Billy, that would have been fun to see.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-03-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
yea i was up there for a while. i was wearing the ronix shirt. i rode the marius. Definately a different feel. i wanna try it again tho. as for the 45 it was nice for sure. without the attitude plate it has a tiny wake tho imo. as soon as tony messed with it it got a lot steeper and beefed up. i didnt like how wide it was tho. i ride at 75 ft. behind our boat and i had to ride at 70 behind this one. but again the water wasnt that great and i was on a new board. the room was great inside and it did handle pretty well for a huge boat.lol. You definately need the big motor in that boat. I dont think the 350 will cut it.

wat was up with all the skiers bro? And the dry suits? lol
Old     (chris_tige_20v)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
yeah, I was at the demo days on saturday with my family and Billy and the X-45 was great. If I go with that boat it will be the 08 thats in the back lot, it's the one with a white front and slate grey back with the slider graphics.
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
For the same price i would for sure go with the X-45. You are getting more boat and better construction.

Larzon, the reason the LSV handles better is because it's a stretched version of the LXi ski hull, there is no vee in the hull so it handles more like a ski boat. The X-45 ride is leaps and bounds better in rough water.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
You can't beat the X 45 for the rough water ride and amount of storage that it has. I have never seen one without the attitude plate. I would have that installed for sure.
Old     (chris_tige_20v)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
$6000 difference from one to the other but when your looking in that price range thats not much of a difference. and i will call the malibu dealer to check on 247.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-03-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
stevo- the lsv has a new hull for 08 and the 07s definately have a v in the hull. no doubt the x 45 is better in the chop it is way bigger. but the lsv rides very well in rough water as well. i dont think there is any better quality in construction
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-03-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
stevo-
I'm not saying it has a better ride than the x45,
Also it is not the diamond hull, it has a 25degree entry into the water, and has more vee than the Response. The rough water ride is pretty darn good, especially considering how well it handles
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
What I meant is Malibu hasn't focused as much on rough water ride in comparison to MasterCraft. I didn't word my last post correctly, it's not the same hull as the Lxi, but it's not as deep vee as the X-45; 23 or 247LSV. Hence the reason it handles like a typical inboard.

I'm not here to start another boat war, but there is a difference in quality. Why is a mercedes more than a cadillac?

Chris good luck with your boat purchase. I have spent quite a bit of time in a X-45, and the boat rocks. Wake, seating, storage...it's an awesome all around boat.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
im not trying to bash on Malibu i think they are good boats but its not a Mastercraft. the consturction is better Malibu's top piece is 18 different pieces fused together, while mastercrafts top piece is one solid piece. also malibu has hollow stringers and they drill a hole in the front and back of the stringers for ventilation which weakens them even more, mastercraft has solid stringers. i have also heard stories about ppl putting a 750lbs sac on the floor of a malibu and when they empty it after the day is over the floor is warped.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Billy yeah i think i remember u. yeah there were alot of skiers i had to take some ppl out on the X-14 and thay had dry suits and everything the water was a lil cold but it wasnt drysuit cold.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-03-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
yea i rode with just a neoprene top.

yea the thing about the back compartment floor warping is probably true. it says on the side not designed for ballast in the back compartment. As long as you have the stock ballast full its not an issue.

Mike- my uncle bought his x15 from you guys. he loves his boat (which is weird cuz he has been a nautique guy all his life lol) but a couple of things have gotten messed up. One thing i dont understand is that one of the lens on his guages cracked and we dont know why and we are constantly having to tighten up the tower? Like three or four times a day.
Old     (dtr)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-03-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Boy you mastercraft people are smoking fearce to think the constuction of a bu isnt the same quility. I owened both and their both great boats. Never had a problem with either one.Why is a mercedes more than a cadillac because it's not made in the USA. Check the reviews
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Upload BU hooo
and there are Benz made in the USA.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-03-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
hahaha.... thats funny^^^^
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-03-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
another story from the MC pro-shop crowd, that is reliable. This threads are pure priceless drivel.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-03-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
It is what it is.... They are both excellent boats and there are people that will swear by either brand. In fact these are number 1 and 2 in my book (in terms of brands).

There are a few things I absolutely love about the MC. First is the size. It's a huge boat. The LSV is more comperable to a X-star. The 45 is just huge. Second thing I love is the seating in the nose. I don't know why nobody thought of the picklefork nose earlier. There is so much wasted potential space in the nose of a V-hull boat. Third thing that I love is the trailer. IMO the MC trailers are second to none in build quality. If you're like me and use your boat all the time the last thing you want to worry about is your trailer rusting out from it never drying. I've been there. I had a trailer that wasn't 2 years old and it was failing structurally (all fresh water use, too). The MC trailers with the fiberglass fenders, swing tongues, 4 wheel brakes and tubular design are just superior to what I've found from a lot of manufacturer's. I guess a big part of that is that their trailers are constructed in house.

Now.... The swing to the Malibu. The stock wake has got to get the nod when equipped with the 4 tank system and the wedge. Both boats are very capable when weighted, but the Malibu is better without adding anything additional. They're both gonna be wide as they're both big boats. The first big boat I rode behind was a LSV and I remember taking long cuts. You get used to it though and I've grown to like the wide wakes.

Last thing I'd look at is who the dealer is for each boat. Pick whichever you think it going to deliver better, more personalized service. I can't stress how important it is to me to have a dealer stand behind my boat. On my first boat the ballast pump went out and the dealer told me it wasn't critical to the boats operation. They backlogged me 3 months for service. I was very pissed. Needless to say I never bought a boat from them again.

Good luck... Have fun with your new boat. I'm sure you'll love it whichever way you go.

FWIW.... Tony has delt with us (me personally and close friends) on 5 boats in the last 5 years. Those boats totalled more than two thousand hours of use. The biggest failure so far has been a fuel pump. That was on a boat that was run out of fuel no less than 5 times .

(Message edited by guido on October 03, 2007)
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-03-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
of course you have become fond of wide wakes evan... with the bonecrusher you need the wake to extend out another ten feet
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-04-2007, 5:01 AM Reply   
A couple years ago I rode behind Gerry Nunn's 23 LSV and the wake was insane. Crazy big, he must run a helluva lot of weight, nice shape to it. I own an 07 X-45 and love it. I typically ride with full factory ballast plus an extra 500 in the nose and an extra 800 in the rear and play with the tab to shape it the way I like it. I ride at 25.5. I have the LY6 and stepped the prop pitch down one notch for the times I have over 8 - 10 adults with me. To run slow speeds you need to drop some weight. Also recommend the hydraulic steer option. Both are sweet a$$ boats!
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-04-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
I've got an 07 X-45. I love it. I'm happy to help you out with any opinions on options to get, etc.

Feel free to email me...
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-04-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
I just rode behind an 08 x-45 for the first time last week, and i was not impressed. Granted they do make a nice boat, but the wake was weak. My 2 Cents~
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
You're in Northern California, so the choice would be easy for me.

I'm a Malibu owner gone Mastercraft for one reason....the dealer! NorCal Mastercraft rocks. After they sell you a boat, they still value the relationship.

They're great on the price, the sales guys are riders, and they service your boat right there on site. Imagine being able to call the guy you bought your boat from, to ask him to run in the back to check on your service to see if your boat is ready.

They've still got that family-business feel, and yet they acheived the #1 MC dealer rank for many years as Ski World because of guys like Tony and Brian Lewis. I used to go there just to hang out when I had nothing else to do!

Make sure you get Tony out to ride. He's a great rider too.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-04-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
jarrod i totally agree...

but for me it was the opposite lol...
we bought our malibu from boat country. the people there are very polite and take care of you. Brent is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and kellen is great also. great salesman and great rider as well.

I do the same, i stop in all week long when ever i have a chance. Its just a great place to be especially when you have a love for the sport. (i think they get sick of me sometimes lol)

I think either way you cant go wrong! Tony is a great guy like you said. ive had the chance to talk to him and he is great. Doesnt even care we own a malibu!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
i will agree with all these guys, nor cal mastercraft is the do own a malibu which i love for different reasons... to me its more traditional. love it but having a great dealer is so important. i have spent time in both the 23 and the x45 i like the 23 because it has an all around good wake. better surf wake and im not to sure about the wakeboard wake anymore. i like thwe malibu bc it was much quiter, but honestly their both great boats. go whats comfortable to you, not anyone else. test drive thm both.oh yea and when your riding the x45 it takes for ever to plain out. we had like 10 in the boat plus full ballest and it was a tank.lol
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
saw a new 45 today, man the graphics on it are sweet!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-05-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
Billy,

I know Kellen also. Boat County is a great dealer. Just to be clear, I wasn't taking anything from them, just casting my vote for my favorite dealer.

Regarding the getting on plane issue with 10 people + ballast, that's because we're not really comparing apples. Like Evan said, let's compare an Xstar to the LSV, pound for pound.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-05-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
i understand what ur saying jarrod. I didnt mean to take what you said out of context. Also, it is nice for us not to have to go over the altamont (spelling?) to get our boat serviced. We're fifteen mins. from boat country. So much easier than taking it to liquid wrenches back in the day.

No boat is gonna plane real well with ten ppl plus ballast. Unless you have a 8.1 in there...
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
Both good boats. I would take the lsv for wakeboarding purposes. A lot better stock wake in my opinion. Why are you comparing two different sizes.
Old     (chris_tige_20v)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
wakeitup- If your asking why I'm comparing two different sizes, your talking about one foot difference. The next size up for bu is 247, then you would be asking the same question. I think these two boats are good comparision! Granted the X-45 has room for four more people. I am looking for
1st a good boat for the family
2nd a good boat to surf and board behind
Took the 08 23 lsv out yesterday and seems like a good boat. Wakesurfed behind it and the rear ballast wouldn't fill, but the wake was long. So far both Boat Country and Nor Cal Mastercraft have both been top notch
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-06-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
18 people in not possible in the 45.
It fits a comfortable 14 (Accounting for leg space and evrything.) We sat everyone in a x45 and were only able to get nine adults behind the windshield without squishing together, 10 if we did. Which means the big bow would have had to fit 8 people.

The 247 WILL swallow 15 comfortably. There was room for 12 of us behind the windshield, I'm counting 3 in the bow.
Old     (huevo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-06-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Wakesetter vs. x star, which is best for wakeboarding, for 6 to 8 people, thoughts?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-07-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Wakeseter LSV Vs. X-Star...the X-star produces a better wake for me. With less weight too I beleive.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-07-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
Also, if you want to talk handling, the XStar whips around like a small boat, even when slammed with weight. Much better than an LSV with the wedge down.
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-07-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
I've had 15 in my X45 with no complaints. On the contrary, many comments were made about how roomy the boat is. The kid's / sunbathers will love the bow area. Great wake for boarding or surfing. My prediction is the family will become hooked on surfing. In either boat, I'm sure you'll have fun. Enjoy!
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
MikeX2 I have no idea where you got that data from about the 18 pieces fused together but you are dead wrong.

The top and bottom are one piece each.
Upload

Here is a factory tour to help you next time.
http://www.malibuboats.com/FactoryTour.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
James, I believe that when Mike said "the whole top piece" he was referring to the deck, seat bases and floor. That is where the big difference lies. The Mastercraft is all one piece, where the Malibu lays in a floor and then pieces in the the seat bases. This is part of the reason they have glued in wall to wall carpet. That being said I would gladly take either.

(Message edited by polarbill on October 08, 2007)
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-08-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
Brett that is exactly what i am talking about thank you for clearing that up for james.

wheres the seat bases Upload
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-08-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
where is the floor?
Upload
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-08-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
that is also the reason that the floor will warp if you put sacs in the boat.
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-08-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
yeah, cause things that are one piece NEVER warp. its science.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-09-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
floors warp under the trunks, where the hard tanks are for ballast
The Floor malibu uses is incrediblby strong, and won't warp
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-09-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
the poo is getting pretty thick in this thread.

Mike sounds like he just got back from the MC training class.

(Message edited by baschralper on October 09, 2007)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-09-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
MC training class? Sheesh...ya could have learned this from our resident MC expert billy (woreout).

quote:

the consturction is better Malibu's top piece is 18 different pieces fused together, while mastercrafts top piece is one solid piece. also malibu has hollow stringers and they drill a hole in the front and back of the stringers for ventilation which weakens them even more, mastercraft has solid stringers. i have also heard stories about ppl putting a 750lbs sac on the floor of a malibu and when they empty it after the day is over the floor is warped.

Pathetic...completely pathetic. Is this how you guys sell boats over at NorCal Mastercraft? No wonder why there's 10 Malibus on the water for every MC!

J-rod- have you ridden in any of the newer Malibus? They aren't exactly the piggy that your LSV was. Different wedge, different hull...
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-09-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
yes scott....sounds like anti-malibu propaganda regurgitated straight out of the Master Craft dealer meeting.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-10-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   

quote:

By C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod) on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 5:13 pm:

Also, if you want to talk handling, the XStar whips around like a small boat, even when slammed with weight.

jrod, you know i got nuthin' but love for ya but c'mon, xstar whips around like a small boat? i know it's you guys' duty to try to sell mcs, but seriously?

i've been in my share of boats including xstars. great boats, no doubt, but they do NOT whip around like small boats...ever.