Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-26-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Hey, just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on what was the best "overall" shape and fin config to be using? One that will carve like mad to get some air, but on the other hand be responsive and let loose well for 3's, shuv's etc.....??????
Old    surfdad            11-26-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
This one:

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-26-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
and this one:

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-26-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
and ALL of these:

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-26-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
I'm a common hack with boards and I have incredible respect for folks that shape for a living, or that design boards for production purposes. In the ocean surfing world there are TONS of designs that work and do things very well. There isn't a single "best" design or shape BECAUSE different outlines, fin clusters, foils, etc work well for different riders in different breaks.

In riding the quad fin mule over the weekend, I had such a blast on that board, because it was so incredibly fast and accelerated so quickly that it literally shot the board up and over the lip.

A bro told me that board doesn't work for you...later it hit me - pound sand! :-) I enjoyed it and I'm never going to get air, or do much more than slaysh around and for that...it was perfect. Not the best, but it's a keeper! :-)

I think there is a tendency for folks to focus on a single board and I'm really against that. Number one if you design a board that does everything "good" you wind up with a compromise that doesn't really excel at anything. Also, it creates a mentality of "don't bring a knife to a gun fight". That prejudice hinders thinking outside the box for development and really consumer approval.

Everyone rides a bit differently and no doubt will have a favorite. Personally, I think that every boat should have a good longboard/noserider (at some point :-) ), a good cruiser/instructional board that you can teach new crew on, and then a performance board be it like one of the skimmers above or the shortboard surfstyle that James is riding in the first picture. For folks with TONS of talent, both :-)

I also think that it works against us as enthusiasts when we focus on a single best outline/fin cluster/foil.

My 2 cents. :-)
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-26-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Jeff I agree with you 100%. I have a board for all conditions. Thanksgiving day I rode my longboard most of the day. It could sit way outside, spin around take two or three strokes and be in the wave. Yesterday it was windblown choppy surf here and my shortboard would have been the board of choice. I opted for beer and chicken wings at Hooters but that's an entirely different story. I like having three boards in the boat. None of us ride the same. I love carving. I love "hitting the lip". Not too concerned about popping air. I think I could if I worked hard enough though.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-26-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Jason, I can honestly tell you that Jeff’s post and ideas are arrogant and misguided. I have in fact developed the single best wakesurf board shape. I used the Greek Golden Rectangle as my fundamental shape tool. See my previous post for details and demonstration of the perfect wakesurfer. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/366540.html?1159126112

Also, I can sell you one of these boards from only $400. Simply send the money. I will send the materials to Home Depot for you to pick up. There will be a nominal pick up fee of approximately $4.

This is tongue-in-cheek, I have great respect for every thing Jeff is doing and his unbiased presentation of facts and opinion. I also stole the Home Depot line from Jeff:-)
Old    surfdad            11-26-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
You slay me Ed. Greek Golden Rectangle...waiiiiiiiiitttttttisn't that WOOD!!! :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-26-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Yes, Wooooooood. Just another aspect of the perfect surf board:-)