Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    chuk            03-17-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
I brought a buddy out last year who was convinced he would light it up on his first day wakeboarding.

On his first pull, he decided to trust his instincts and not follow our advice. He hung on too long, got pulled over the top of board and popped 2 ribs (torn cartlidge). After a few more failed attempts, he managed to get up long enough to catch the front of his board into the wake. He went down hard and lost a contact into the back of his eye (which he recovered days later) and temporarily lost hearing in one ear. That was it for him.

After, we went for a couple beers and he said "I think I've broken some ribs, I'm deaf in our ear and blind in one eye ... can we go again tomorrow?".

This is easily the best rookie story we've had.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-17-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
I can't even touch that story never mind top it. But I have found that women almost always do better than men initially. I think it's because the women listen better, along with not trying to muscle it and having less weight. Several women that I've taught got up first try where most guys take at least 3 or 4 tries.

Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-17-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
This is a TRUE story!
We took a kid out that we worked with, no less than 22 times. He was a strong guy, played football for Penn State. Limber and athletic. He tried to get up at least 5 times every time we took him out. do the math...yes at least 110 times this kid tried to get up on a wakeboard. never did succeed, with us at least. funny thing, we took a ex girlfriend of his out in the middle of hte summer cause we needed a 3rd, she had never even waterskied b4, and got right up on the first try. We were taking video that day, so we brought the vid to work the next morning and showed it to this guy, he took off on his bike to the Ex's house and said that she was NEVER to go out in the boat with us again!!!
She became a regular in the boat that summer!!!

KG
not as good as Joel's (that was hysterical) but pretty good!
Old    whitechocolate            03-18-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
Kevin I have almost the Exact same story. I have these 2 friends No mater what they can't get up. Im sure It's because they will not listen and they try to use all there mussle. One Guy is so Big and strong, He looks like a Pro Body Builder, He sucks so bad! I have tryed to get him up at least 100 times. The same is true for my other friend, He comes out with us all the time and he tryes like 12 times each time out Can't Get up it's so messed up It's kinda funny. Both friend's have girl friends and they both got up on there 1st try. The look on there face was horiable they were happy for there girlfriend but feel so stupid for themself. What can be done about thick headed student's I say nothing Im done giving adice I just drive the boat and keep my mouth shut
Old    chris_hargis            03-18-2003, 2:38 PM Reply   
Sounds like they have bad coaches.
Just kidding guys really.

My only cont5ribution would be me tryig to get up when I started and end up having a kid on a jet ski come by and show me how. I am sure he got a good laugh out of it.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-21-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Hey Grant-

What size board is the big guy using? I had big friends that don't own a board get up with little trouble on 142's or other large generic boards. However they can't even get close on my 136.

I've had the same experience only in reverse, my buddies don't have a problem and pick it up real quick, then the girlfriends just don't listen and get REAL frustrated and quit.

I help our local College team durring the fall. I love watching the recreational women skiers try to learn to jump. They are usally total yard sales. But you got to hand it to em, they come in with little experiance on the water and try to go over a 5' jump, it's great.
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
I've noticed that, too. Girls always seem to pop-up first try. Then they get all smiley and happy only to abruptly end the ride by catching an edge to face plant.
Old    wakeryderx5            04-02-2003, 9:54 PM Reply   
we just got into wakeboarding... and my old boat was an I/O so the wake wasnt that big. I read an article about "Triple-Ups" in WBM and decided to try it out. Well the first one i hit(equivalent to a normal double up) I came down and hit my eye to my knee.(DONT ASK) I had a huge black eye! Doesnt sound like a really big deal but just so happened that was the day before school started, so i had to start the 10th grade with a nasty black eye! I've never been so proud of a black eye!
Old    arlanj            04-03-2003, 3:04 PM Reply   
If a person doensn't get up, it is the fault of the trainer, not the beginner. "Anyone" will get up every time with the proper technique. They may not stay up, but everyone should get up. The key is the simple instruction to push the board down with the toes to get it level. If the beginner tries to push the water with the board horizontal, they probably will never get up. Properly coached a person can get up at just above idle speed with almost no hard pull.
Old    starstudded99            04-03-2003, 4:09 PM Reply   
I think its mostly cause guys are too proud to admitt that they have done something wrong. And the last thing they want to do is take advice from someone they are trying to impress. But if they actually stopped for one minute and listened they could do soooo much better the first time.
Old    lastonlake            04-07-2003, 12:36 AM Reply   
you want to hear some funnny shiaat, the first time we go out on the lake we have this trick comp and this guy who has never been before trys a front flip for the forst time, and has never been wakeboarding before.........anyways he heads towadrs the wake and as soons as he gets there he tries the front flip too soon and sticks the front of his baord into the wake and goes flying out of the bindings and does the front flip ony without the board, never to say we are a little tipsy at the time but thats besides the fact