Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-10-2004, 7:06 AM Reply   
What is up with this board? Is it a pro model? Why don't they have pictures on the website? What is the deal with the fins on the outside of the board?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
Do a search on old threads. Jonathon Nadolski posted on a recent thread about this board. I think it looks pretty cool. I can't wait to try it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2004/obrien4.asp
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-10-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
Neither can I. Alot of people were crying gimmick, but not me. I think it looks sick. Can't wait to get on one.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-10-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
Gimmick: An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

It is a gimmick in a sense. The question is whether or not people will buy it because it works for them. I was wondering why they didn't have pictures on O'Briens website.

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
Because it's the 2004 site maybe?

All I know is I really want to try one, the design looks pretty good even without the side fins.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
No Thanks, big gimmick. What happens when you go for a grab? You slice open your hand and go to the hospital, I'll pass.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-10-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
I guess if you grab tindy or talefish that could be a problem.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Here we go again!! This is a cut and past from a post I did a few months ago. This is just my experience on the Valhalla, your mileage may vary!!

I rode the board a few weeks ago and I can assure you that if you have any wakeboarding skills, the Crook fins will not cause you to catch an edge or do a facial.

As far as the Crook fins being sharp and dangerous, they aren’t sharp at all. The edge of the fin is rounded over and is no more dangerous then the edge of your board.

The time I noticed the Crook fins was when I put the board on edge and headed for the wake. It really allowed me to bury the edge and cut hard without the board wanting to break loose.

I also noticed the fins when I would over rotate tricks that usually result in a butt-check and the board sliding out. I remember on one toe side back roll I got more air then usual and over rotated and I thought for sure the board was going to slide out, but the Crook fins on my heel side edge stuck in the water and allowed me to stop the rotation and stand it up.

As far as the ride of the board, I would say if you like a fast board with great pop that tracks well when on edge, is loose when flat and lands really soft, then check it out.

Later,
jjakober
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-10-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
You mean those ARENT razors?!?!?!

I took one look at the board and thought "What happens when you go for a grab? You slice open your hand and go to the hospital, I'll pass."

I thought for sure that O'Brien had put knives on their new board.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
"What happens when you go for a grab? You slice open your hand"

Wow! I can't beleive O'Brien didn't consider that! They should hire KYBOOL so things like this aren't overlooked.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the review jjakober. Nice to hear feedback from someone who has actually ridden it, and doesn't have their head up their ass.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
j-rod ~ hahahaha
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-11-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
They have electric current running throught the board too? So when you grab you slice your hand, and get the crap shocked out of you?? Good thinking Obrien.