Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (ryanandlea)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
So, I have decided to do my own maint to my Mobius LSV this season. Anyone give me any pointers on changing the oil in this rig. Have an automotive history so I know my way around a motor. Got a pump to suck the oil out of the dipstick, but the pump says to let the boat run for 3-5 minutes to warm up the oil. I thought my dealer was VERY stern on not starting the boat out of water??
Any Tips would be very helpfull, as I am going to do this tomorrow
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
You need a Fake a lake to provide cooling water and to prevent burning up your impeller.
Old     (ryanandlea)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
how would you suggest a fake a lake? Is there a kit I can buy??
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
Can't you just pull it down to a boat ramp and dip it in the water for a few min while it warms up? then take it home and change it.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
As an alternative to using (or making) a Fake-A-Lake, here's what I've done:

1. Disconnect the raw water intake hose from the outlet side of the V-drive (i.e., the hose that goes from the V-drive to the raw water pump at the front of the engine -- along the starboard side of the engine).

2. Find a garden hose nozzle that is a snug fit inside that hose.

3. Put the nozzle on a garden hose, turn the nozzle open all the way, and stick it into the intake hose.

4. Turn the water on all the way at the faucet.

5. Start the engine and make sure you have a good flow out the exhaust tips. Don't rev it too high, and DON'T PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR! You can ruin the prop shaft strut bearing by doing that.

6. When the engine is warmed up, shut it off, then turn the garden hose off, and then reconnect the raw water hose to the V-drive.

Plus, there's a better and faster way to drain all the oil than using the dipstick tube. Your engine has an E-Z Drain hose connected to the drain plug at the bottom of the crankcase. Go to the link below to see how I hooked the larger suction tube from a pump to the E-Z Drain hose:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/100113.html?1077646658
Old     (ryanandlea)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Dan,
my local lake is closed for repairs for a few years..kind of a long haul for that one...

Jeff,
Thanks for the info..I think that will totally help. Let you know tomorrow how it goes!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
Google fake a lake
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Jeff,
Thanks for the pics on how you adapted the Tempo
for the drain hose ... I have been using one of
those on my old boat for the dipstick extraction for years - now that I have the real drain hose, I
wondered how I would hook it up!
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Interesting. I use the drain hose on my Supra out the back of the bilge but never thought of sucking it out with a pump. I just heat the engine in the lake and then take the cap off (as well as remove the dipstick to let air flow in) and drain the oil that way. However, it takes FOREVER AND A DAY for all the oil to come out of there with no suction. I believe we waited about 30 minutes before it was just a drip. When we filled the engine back up, it took 4.25 quarts so most of the oil was drained but not all of it.

I searched for this pump to try to do the same however can't find it anywhere anymore. Anyone else have a link to a pump like this that has a threaded hose attachment so I could rig something up like this to accelerate the process.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74918&pdesc=Moeller_Fluid_Extractor& str=moeller&merchID=1008&r=view

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Extractor-Reinforced-Extraction-4-Liter/dp/B000MTB83M

http://www.iboats.com/Oil_Extraction_Pumps/dm/view_id.246638

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Boat_Accessories/Boat_Maintenance_and_Cleaners/Moeller_Fluid_Extractor/index.asp