Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (frenchy30)      Join Date: May 2006       05-10-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Just bought a 2001 X-Star last summer with stock ballast(2 rear hard tanks and bag in ski locker).
The outflow pump for one of the rear tanks is not working and the dealer says the whole system has to be upgraded to reversible pump system and that old pump type is no longer manufactured. Anyone know of a quick fix, i.e. where to find new one way pump, so I can replace myself and don't have to lose 2 weeks of maintenance time?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-10-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Take the pump out and see what kind it is. I promise there is a like kind of pump available. Maybe not the exact on, but something that will work. The new reversible pumps are junk IMO. I've had nothing but problems with mine. Either they dont turn or they get jammed, etc, etc....

I know West Marine has pumps but the prices arent that great.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
the great thing about west marine is that they'll match internet prices. Just find one place that offers free shipping, because they will charge you whatever the shipping would be.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
The type of pump that your(and mine) boat uses is a cartrige style pump. If you look at the pump, there is a clip on the top of it that allows the black part to pull out of the yellow housing. You can take that out and match it up with one from your local dealer or west marine. I believe that it is a 1000gph pump. Unless you feel like completely redoing your ballast system with reversibles, you can go this route.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
"I know West Marine has pumps but the prices arent that great."

They price match. I got my jabsco's dirt cheap, after I found an awesome price on the internet.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
http://www.iboats.com/products/16/39135_mayfair_cartridges_for_bilge_and_aerator_pum ps.html

here's a link for the pump cartrige
Old     (heater)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Not to hijack a thread, but are the pump systems in the 00 and 01 the same? I have a 00 and was planning on adding 2 rear Pro X V drive sacs and an integrated bow sac up front. I didn't know if the existing pump system was strong enough to handle it?
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
I have an 01 x-9 with stock ballast. Bag in locker and bag under the rear seat. All factory plumbed and wired with standard non-reverse pumps. My original pumps are the same brand as my bilge (attwood). They have replacable cartridges available at any marine store. I second the find your pumps and replace what you have. I think the dealer needs to make a car payment.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
After more thought, maybe Mayfair not Attwood in mine, but standard non the less.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-11-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
Overtons sells the exact pumps and replacement cartridges as what is in my '01 X-Star.
Old     (frenchy30)      Join Date: May 2006       05-12-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Thanks to all those who responded especially snyper1d with the link.

I'll do the repair myself and mail my dealer a check so he can make his car payment on time.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
More important--who is the dealer that told you "the whole system has to be upgraded"!?

Stay away from that dealer!!

Sucks when dealers tell you need to spend hundreds of dollars to fix something that costs $25.