Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-02-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Just wondering how many people are riding a flex board behind the boat as a primary setup. I know they are ruling the cables these days but how about the lakes? Do you feel it has helped your riding? What setup are you on and what level is your riding?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-02-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
I am a fairly strong rider and I ride a company severance on all terrain. I know that the Severance is commonly know as a flex board, but I ride it more for its construction, shape and versitility than its flex aspects.

If you are looking for a daily driver with some flex characteristics I would definately like to steer you toward boards that bend on the tip and tail and are stiff between the boots. The Comapny sandwich construction boards (recruit and severance) fit that category very well.

As far as flex helping your riding, I don't know, but it defanately unlocks new possiblities on the water and rails.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-02-2010, 9:51 PM Reply   
I ride the Vibe. Just an all around fun board. I consider myself intermediate. It was a bit slippery at first, but within a couple of minutes, I was adjusted.

BUT...If you are constantly riding in choppy water conditions, it will beat you more that a non-flex.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-02-2010, 10:51 PM Reply   
i have a cwb vibe for cable and a lyman for behind boat, i recently tried my vibe behind my boat and couldnt stand it, it felt so heavy and slow and the landings were brutal. i rode it for 5 mins and went back to my lyman.

just my 2 cents
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-02-2010, 11:15 PM Reply   
I ride a Slingshot Recoil with Ronix Relik boots every day no matter what i'm hitting or what I'm riding behind.
I would say I'm intermediate, some flips and spins and rails every so often.
Old     (andruz)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-03-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I ride Company Recruit, I used to ride Lyman´s
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-03-2010, 6:35 AM Reply   
LF Watson Hybrid 139 is my primary boat board.

Love how much fun the board is on the water... loose, fast, on edge in a hurry, and softer tail heavy landings, all without any loss of pop.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-03-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
I ride the Slingshot Recoil for everything - best board I've ever been on.

Riding is better and riding (more importantly) is WAY WAY more fun.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
i rode a slingshot recoil for a bit. but felt i was giving up pop. particularly on small short cuts. it was a 08 full flex. not the newer tip and tail style.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
all i ride is the ss reflex. all i ride is behind the boat.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-03-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
I only ride boat and ride a company severance. Its a great board, I can ride a whole set and never hit the wake and have a big smile on my face. The "fun" factor with flex is just awesome.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
I ride Slingshot Boards. i like both rocker types really. i also use the slingshot boots

I am an intermediate skill level rider.

flex helps my ride:
1. like everyone else said "MORE FUN"
2. my edge control is better and stronger, being forced to rely more on the rails. also you have to have a good edge to take advantage of the pop. these boards are teachers in of themselves
3. softer landings
4. helped me to become a bit more aggressive rider (mainly due to better edging and soft landings) and change up my style to where i like it and feel i truly sit and have more fun
5. More forgiving, especially landings- less bottom features means less to catchup on and the flex saves people time and time again on those landings that are nose heavy. the board will flex out of nose-heavy landings...or flex into.

i like the slingshot boots largely because the liners are removable which makes it nicer for drying them or heat molding for those that want to do that. the fit is of course nice for me too.
Old     (hoss33)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 2:07 AM Reply   
Like alot of these guys I only ride flex, switched two years ago and never thought about going back. I used to ride Slingshot recoil, but recently changed to Company severance as primary board. Nothing wrong with Slingshot I love all there products including boots. Just got a good deal on the new Company board and figured I would give them a shot. First set on it tomorrow I will post up how it goes
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       08-05-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
I ride flex behind the boat and love it. I have a 09 slingshot recoil but broke it and have also been riding a 2010 liquid force watson hybrid with 09 shane bindings and love that board also. I have a new slingshot recoil on its way there customer service has never let me down.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-05-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
I ride an 09' slingshot recoil with d2 boots, started riding slingshots in 07 and have not been on a "traditional" board since. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider and pretty much everyone in my crew has switched over to slingshot. At least 5 guys now ride flex behind my boat that didn't 1 year ago. Now my local shop is going to start carrying slingshots because they see how many are starting to show up on the lake.
Old     (boarderpat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-05-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
I ride the Company Severance for everything and haven't looked back! I came to wakeboarding from snowboarding so the flex seemed to make sense for rails. I hadn't expected to like it behind the boat but I landed every trick I have ever known how to do in one set the first time I rode it. It snaps really nicely off the wake and for me (I have a weak left knee which is my back foot) tail heavy landings that used to cause me problems on a traditional board are now butter soft! The other thing that I feel makes a HUGE difference is the weight, my Severance is a 2010 and I have the Vandall boots, with the whole setup weighing about the same as my old board WITHOUT boots on it!! Maybe it's a psychological thing but I feel like I pop higher and spin faster, it's given me the confidence to progress further than I ever thought I'd be able to!
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Company Severance here too. I'm beginning to see a trend...
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
I have been riding the 2011 O'Brien Paradigm 139, Sean O'Brien's pro model for next year, really sweet ride!

Never thought I would like a Flex board, I have ridden slingshot, but this thing is sweet, it feels way more like a wakeboard, stiff between the bindings, softer at the tip and tail.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-05-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Great stuff!! I have a SS Response myself and really love the way rides. BUT then I was told by our local pro that the flex kills the power off the wake and will hinder my progress. I personally thought I went a lot bigger on the SS compared to my Marius. Then I jumped on this old Hyperlite Motive and learned a bunch of inverts and spins. I guess I need to try them again on my SS and see how it feels.

Since wakeboarding is a new sport to me I was just hoping to ride something different than a Slingshot. I have been riding Slingshot Kites and Kiteboards since 2001!!! I am sick of the logo! Oh well they make the best kites and boards in kiteboarding. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they make amazing wakeboards too!
Old     (shredthegnar87)      Join Date: May 2010       08-05-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
Severance FTW!
Attached Images

Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-05-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
severance 142 or 134 depending on the water. I could never go back
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-08-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Does anyone know where I could demo either a Slingshot or Company in AZ? Everywhere I look they don't have any demo's.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-08-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
Severance! Huge pop, buttersoft landings, plus the bindings have NO heel/toe lift.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-08-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
slingshot response all day!
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-08-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
I’m an intermediate rider and only ride boat. I'm picky about boards and recently made the switch to the Company Severance after a demo. The board is really fun and my riding has improved after a few sessions. I don’t feel much flex in the board like I expected.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
I ride the Humanoid Stiffy and rode the Severance most of the season. Both are fantastic boards. The Sev is more playful but I like the pop of the Humanoid a bit better. I've also been on the Recruit but could not get used to it. I guess I'm just a 3-stage rider.
I prefer the flex boards because they handle a bit more smoothly on the water. The flex in them takes some of the chatter out of the equation and off the knees which is good because I'm getting old!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2010, 12:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
Does anyone know where I could demo either a Slingshot or Company in AZ? Everywhere I look they don't have any demo's.
if you make it up to Lake Powell (Page AZ) [very very north part of AZ] then you can ride mine. recoil 142 or response 142
just contact me
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-09-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Jeremy, I may just have to take you up on that offer! Ahren, you should let me borrow yours since I taught you your raley! haha
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
Here is me hitting a double up on my SS Reflex. Im only about a quarter way through the jump as you can see and very much still going up. The reflex is the best for hitting double ups in my opinion. Enough flex to help you on the landings when the double ups take you to the flats, and stiff enough to really boot you, and fast enough to manage your speed for how hard you want to cut into it with either a short or long cut.
Attached Images

Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Russell, I would love to! I have 2 responses at my house right now. The response is probably all around the best board i have ever ridden in my entire life, and I love it to death. I don't think I will ever switch from it. Get my number from century, or ask david.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
I did :''(
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
Yikes Gerald

what kinda crash ended up resulting in that?
im surprised the boot didn't fail first. i can recall a pic or two on wakeworld of ss boots where the boot severed from the footbed and hardware.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2010, 12:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr38 View Post
Here is me hitting a double up on my SS Reflex. Im only about a quarter way through the jump as you can see and very much still going up. The reflex is the best for hitting double ups in my opinion. Enough flex to help you on the landings when the double ups take you to the flats, and stiff enough to really boot you, and fast enough to manage your speed for how hard you want to cut into it with either a short or long cut.
paha what a joke your going to crash in this picture....
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2010, 12:41 AM Reply   
anyways my opinion about flex is that for boat riding it is deffinately not as good as the everyday stiff board..... i would not say flex is more fun, because fun to me is going huge! you dont see very many SS or company riders going huge (excluding randall harris) < (his board doesnt flex anyways), but you see most of the flex board riders doing everything w2w and an unusual amount of ts 3s.

i do think the tip tail thing is a good idea for a crossover board to ride on anything.

basically i just think flex is for rails and stiff is for boat/wake.....

i think i will always shred on stiff boards
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-16-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
I rode a slingshot recoil as my only board for last year. I noticed i lost a lot of pop and i just couldn't figure it out. So i switched to a Ronix Viva. I do have a friend though who rides slingshot only and he goes big. He loves the flex.
I say at least make an effort to get a couple sets on one before you buy it because its all about how comfortable you are on it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
^^ agree. Last year I would go back and forth from a Watson to a Response, enjoying both. Then I just left the bindings on the Response, half out of laziness, and only ride it now and after getting comfortable on it, prob will never go back. It is a different ride, and it takes a bit. People have said it before, and it sounds weird and is hard to describe, but once I got comfortable on it, it was just more fun to ride, and riding was more fun. Buttering around, carving, feeling out the flex, learning to pop it, land it, etc. Maybe because it was new and different I don't know. Also don't feel it in my knees and body afterward as much as a non-flex.

What Company board most compares to the SS Response?
Old     (shredthegnar87)      Join Date: May 2010       09-16-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
What Company board most compares to the SS Response?
The Company Recruit is almost identical, the big difference is that the response is a little more flexy, and has thinner sidewalls. Other than that they will ride the same behind the boat for the most part.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Actually smart guy that was landed. How you think you can tell whether something was landed or not from that pic is beyond me. But I love a good hater on this site... it wouldnt be wakeworld without one in every thread
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-16-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
I rode the company severance for quite a while, then back to a stiff board (Byerly) now on the watson hybrid. For me the Watson hybrid really is the best of both worlds, it has the awesome "alive" feeling of a flex board but still lands and cuts like a stiffy. The all flat bottoms of the company and slingers make for some brutal landings which the watson avoids. Yeh I know youre supposed to land tail heavy but that really affects your riding in a big way, and just isnt feasible for a lot of tricks
Old    mojo            09-16-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
i've been on slingshots old 3-stage and continuous rockers. maybe the second year they were making wake stuff. only one set each, but i hated the 3 stage and really loved the continuous. i typically ride 3 stage boards. i'm on an ibex right now and absolutely love it. i've seriously been thinking about a company recruit or a vandall. from what i understand the vandall has a very small amount of flex, but if i get a new one i would love to try flex full time, but can't decide.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
Yikes Gerald

im surprised the boot didn't fail first. i can recall a pic or two on wakeworld of ss boots where the boot severed from the footbed and hardware.
Caught a back edge
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-25-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
I am an average rider. Just now starting to w2w. I ride a Company Recuit with Ronix one bindings. It is a super light setup. It is awesome for tail presses and board slides and just sliding and carving all over. It is a fun board. I was on a Watson , I love this board much more and I have improved a lot over the last few moths.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
That actually has happened to me before where the boot broke. all the bolts ripped out of the green pouron footbed in that case.
QUOTE=wakerider111;1633648]Yikes Gerald

im surprised the boot didn't fail first. i can recall a pic or two on wakeworld of ss boots where the boot severed from the footbed and hardware.[/QUOTE]
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-14-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Anyone have a used 142 Severance that they would like to sell? Please call me.

Thanks,
Justin H.
832-265-8805