Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
I am to the level where I am ready to try an invert but everytime I hit the wake I chicken out. It sounds like a stupid question but maybe someone can help me, How do you get the balls to do your first invert? I have been watching training videos over and over and have all the stages down in my head but I am just too afraid when I get behind the boat.
Old     (poland34)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-07-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I was the same way back in april. I threw it one time and was like "i have caught an edge harder than that". I am now landing backrolls and tantrums. My advice is to put on some Disturbed and just throw it!!!!!
Old     (rdhwk10)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-07-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
You can try to slow the boat down a little so that the fall won't hurt as bad. Like Steven said, it's mostly just going for it.
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-07-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
More than likely you will be throwing the trick too hard so dont worry about coming up short. If anything you will overrotate and land on your back.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-07-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Steven has it, backroll falls have yet to cause me any pain. Once you do one you will laugh and never have a problem with it again.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
Matt, i was the same way for years, just landed my first backroll 2 weeks ago and made my first attempt at it about 3-4 weeks ago. i had 3's bs 180', hs and ts 180's grabs, but not 1 attempt at an invert because i was chicken s--t. besides having alot of friends that are great riders and teachers, i watch the progression of how to learn a b roll on learnwake.com. they break it down really well for you. i mean to be honest i cant even do a straight flip off a diving board. it took a couple weeks working on the b rol but i started slow, watch the video. it shows drills to learn how to get your body to basically go upside down. once you land on your head a few times going 10-12 mph out in the flats you learn the edge and the rotation and then you speed up and go inside out, then 1 wake and so on. take the steps so you dont hurt yourself you'll learn great technique and you will get it in a couple weeks. good luck.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-07-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
Shotgun 2 beers!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
+ 1 for the shotgun forget the beer
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-07-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
took me years (about 8) before i tried any inverts. after trying my first b-roll attempt i found out that landings/crashes aint bad at all. in fact it felt so good that i had confidence after the first attempt that i was going to nail it THAT DAY. 4 tries later, nailed it.

honestly it took me longer to get certain grabs than that back roll. wish i had tried one earlier.

... now i wish i could get my 360's back. they were good last year... ;(
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-07-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
the only scary attempt is your first one, after that its smoothe sailing. dont think, just do.
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. I will be camping for a week at lake Billy Chinook starting Friday. I should have plenty of time to nail an invert.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
Get lots of friends(preferably better than you) in the boat. Peer pressure helps
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-07-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Fill the boat full of hot chicks, and let them know you're going to try an invert.

At that point... you're pretty much committed. I mean can you live with that shame? Say 5 hot chicks all thinking you chickened out? I know I sure can't!

HAHAHA just get out there and have fun!
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-07-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
you can't get back in the boat until you try one.
Old    supraguy            07-07-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
I work on my inverts on the trampoline and you will have the confidence that you can do it and it just taking it to the water. I have learned most of my inverts on the tramp frist and my spins, and like a few others said once you throw the frist one you will go hay that's not so bad and keep you eyes open so you can see your landing... Good Luck
Old     (atomicholiday)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2009, 4:29 AM Reply   
This might sound a little crazy, but try it off a wakeskate first. There's no chance you'll land it, but it'll give you the feel of going inverted and the wipeouts don't hurt at all. It's as easy a jumping off the pier. I've been doing tantrums off the skate for about a month now and getting ready to take it to the board.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
Just don't think about it and do it.... the falls do not hurt.

Have a few beers, takes the edge off too
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-08-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Just huck it - I am 47 and got the guts to try it last week. I was surprised by how little the falls hurt (and there have been many). The beers/shots will help with both the courage and the falls.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-08-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Some people are fearless and good for them... for us other guys we just have to dig deep and go for it. Go balls out and see what happens.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
1) Jump the wake heelside 5-7 times in a row. Landing on the down wake perfect.
2) Take that same cut, stand tall, and pop.
3) Look over your right shoulder at the sky(left if you are Regular)
4) Roll the handle out to your right hip and push it down(Lt for Reg).
5) You will do a back roll, come around and loop out. The fall will not hurt.
6) Keep both hands on the handle the entire rotation. Don't let go!

Your Pop and Hands, two thoughts. Keep it simple. Go get it!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
One word of advice I'd give you for trying your first invert is to throw the backroll rotation and then try the tantrum. See which one feels more natural to you, and then keep at whichever that might be. I learned the backroll first after about 25 tries, and put off the tantrum for about a season and a half for some reason and learned some toeside inverts. Needless to say, I hit a tanny last week after about 5 tries. In my opinion the falls are less painful if you come up short on the tantrum - you will just get a facefull of water opposed to the possiblily of a nasty edge catch if you come up short on the backroll rotation.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-08-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
you are always going to have that hesitation with the phases of learning inverts. I grew up surfing and bodyboarding in hawaii and i'm sure going upside down on the sponge helped a lot.

I would say studying the invert a lot. For example: If you decide it's going to be a tantrum, then watch tons of video that people post on the internet and read up on all the post of people having problems with learning that trick. That way you really know how to throw it and if you screw it up, then you know what you did wrong. Knowing what you did wrong is key. having someone else tell you what you did wrong is great, but knowing yourself is better.

I'm going thru the same phase, but now I want to throw some sort of a mobe since I can throw a good amount of the basic inverts. a whirly is what I have been studying. If I crash the first time, I should know why and what I did wrong for the most part (I hope from all the studying).

oh, and grow some nards and drink a beer! :-)
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-09-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
trampoline time..gettig the feeling of being upside down and landing back on your feet...
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
I feel your pain man!

The first time I had the balls to try my first backroll was last year when I did a clinc with Ben Greenwood. I knew that with him in the boat I had to man up and just try it. Landed it on my 3rd try and I couldve done it all by myself but having Ben in the boat yelling at me gave me the drive to just give it a shot...it worked out!

Thanks Benny G!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
i tried my first invert today. i tried to back roll 4 times and i wasnt succesful. close but not there. but the first one i would cut at the wake then stop. it was sooo scary. after i finaly grew a set after reading this thred and hit the wake and leaned back. and i couldnt believe how little the fall hurt. i surfaced and was like.. wow. that was sick. tried 3 more times. then the water started getting a little choppy and my foot was asleep. (i wrench my bindings down tight) but none of my falls would have prevented me from trying again. definatly try it. its hella sick
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
I find an audience is worth at least 10 courage points.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-10-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
+1 for the falls are not that bad. Still haven't landed a back roll but i do have more confidence knowing that i can take the falls!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
Kyle, totally agreed. it take me a while before i finally comited. and after that i was like SWEET!

i can go heelside wake to wake with like 5 different grabs. i can take it into the flats, and i can get decent pop. but i cant ride switch at all. so i cant 180. so i was either going to try a backroll. a 360, or start working on toeside W2W but ive been dieing to flip. I want to be "that boat that can flip" while out on the water. haha. but after trying to flip. confidence went way up. i was always so scared of getting hurt. and now im not worried at all
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-10-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
do people really try and learn inverts with a skate first? sorry, but I dont want a board flying through the air with me, unless it is attached to my feet.

backroll falls are usually not that bad. it is one of those things that once you try it, you will wish you had tried it a long time ago.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Maybe it was said- but crashing on a roll doesn't hurt any where near what crashing on a spin feels like!
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
+1 will
besides once you try one, you have so many that are no big deal to try