Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-14-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
I got the bug last year, but never pulled the trigger. But we are ready to buy now. I need some opinions for the best tow rig under 15k. I am towing an 03 Supra Launch SSV. Am currently towing with an 03 Dodge Dakota and its pretty bad. Since we are getting a different vehicle, my wife really wants to get an SUV so we can take more people (8 seater preferred). We've been kinda looking a the Burb and the Yukon XL. Is there anything else that comes to mind that can still seat 8, but not quite so big?

Also, if its a smaller SUV like a Tahoe ( I think they make this in the 8 seater), we need the back seat to be able to fold down into the floor (like the newer Honda Oddyseys) I'm probably asking a lot, but we need to keep storage available because we shop for our business daily. We have also considered getting one of the smaller SUV's then adding a hitch storage, anyone have one or used one?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-14-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
I just got into a 2005 TITAN crew cab with big tow package and loaded with 50k miles for about that you should look for one. Max tow rating is 9500#s!!!
Old     (bmcgorrin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-14-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
The only vehicle that comes to mind with fold flat third row seats and towing ability that you need is a 2003 or later Ford Expedition. They have independent rear suspension which allows the third row seat to fold flat. I have an '04 and it's pretty handy to have. You can carry alot of gear and then when you get to your destination you can fold your seats up and carry people around. I never have to haul the third row in and out and store it in the garage (Or on the front porch!). I like that.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-14-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
^ those might be the Triton engines that shoot spark plugs
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2010, 1:25 AM Reply   
the above mentioned problem was resolved by 03 with the addition of extra threads on the heads.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-15-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
The rear seat of the Nissan armada folds flat into the floor. It would be a challenge finding one at your pricepoint but probably not impossible. Really probably would depend on whether you can get away with 4x2 or need 4x4.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-15-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
2006+ Nissan Pathfinders have a 3rd row and the seats fold into the floor. You're going to have a tough time finding a better tow vehicle for the price than a Suburban though. The rear seat of a Pathfinder is small and it's only got a V6 even though it's rated to 6k lbs tow capacity.

Just get a Burban/Yukon if you need a lot of room.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-15-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
I just went through this last year . I have been pulling my 89 Supra Sunsport with a 2001 GMC Safari van 4.3L it did fine with the Supra But the 08 210 was just too much for it.
After checking out PU trucks and SUVs I came to the conclusion that I needed a van again.
For me nothing else can haul cargo and people plus double as a camper by removing the seats. The 2005 Savana 3500 has a 6L with a 373 rear gear full towing package. I added a trans cooler . It gets 10 MPG that's 1/2 MPG better than the 6 cyl Safari. My recommendation is go big short wheel base vehicles will do the job most of the time but in a emergency situation the boat may steer the tow vehicle or you may not be able to stop. Your insurance will may not pay if you over load the vehicle. Going smaller will drastically shorten the life of the vehicle and put you in danger. Full size PU, Suburban or van is my pic.

Old    SamIngram            03-15-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
I just bought an Excursion with a V10 in it. It's a 2003 model that I bought at the government auction for $6,400. It hasn't blown a spark plug so far so I doubt it will. Either way, it pulls like crazy, gets the same mileage as my old Tahoe and was cheap too! I got all the service records to go with it and the oil was changed ever 5,000 miles with Mobile One Synthetic.

Here is one on eBay that is identical to the one I bought.

Government Surplus Excursion

Or go with a Chevy and get the 8.1L monster!

8.1L Monster Suburban

You won't need to store the seats because there is plenty of room behind the third row...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-15-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
I would stay away from the Tahoe(01-06). The 5.3 pulls like crap, they have very little room inside, and good luck getting anyone into the third row(actually you can get them in, but getting them out is the problem). The newer ones seem bigger inside especially if you get the rear bucket instead of the bench. My Esc. has the 6.0 and pulls like mad. I think they are offering that engine in newer tahoes, or you could just get an older Esc.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-15-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
I would be all over that 8.1 suburban. That is a great tow rig at a great price if it is legit. My 6 liter suburban does great, wish I could have got the 8.1 but the newer ones only come with the 6 liter.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-15-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
There is an 05' Armada on Craigslist in Minneapolis for $16k. It's got 64k miles on it, 3 rows that fold flat and plenty of towing capacity for a wake boat.

The downside is MPLS is far from you and the Armada gets like 10-11 mpg
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
kinda like the van idea...and the armada seems like a good buy, but it is far away. Any thoughts on this Yukon, mainly the price...good, bad, fair? http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/1645577231.html

looks nice in person too. the only downside would be it has the captains chairs for the 2nd row. Which I know is typically preferred, but it eliminates a seat. Does anyone know if you can swap the captains chairs for a bench seat
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
also, clarify that monster burb if you don't mind. It's a good buy at the "buy it now" price or at its current bid of 8400? Looks like a clean ride...might be worth having it shipped out?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-15-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
It's tough to to beat a 3/4 ton 4x4 Sub with an 8.1 for towing, and the one above looks clean as well as low mileage.

If I was looking for a new one, I'd be all over that one, great price too!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
The same guy who has the 8.1 monster has a 99 2500 burb with 85k, 7.4 l for about 9500. Both 7.4 and 8.1 seem like overkill, no?
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-16-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
The 8.1 is not overkill. I wish I could have got the 8.1 in my 2007 Suburban, but 2006 was the last year you could get it in the Suburban. The newer one with the 8.1 will be a big improvement over the older one with the 7.4. I have had both, they are both good engines, but the 8.1 is a beast.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-16-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
Were the Allison trannies ever put in Chevy 3/4 burban? That would a make or break deal for me on going with a chevy...
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
Jeremy

I forgot to say I bought the 05 Savana 3500 for 10500 with 60k on it. I found Auto trader very helpful. I found it in Arkansas after numerous phone calls and emails I made a deal and flew out to pick it up with the understanding the test drive can nullify the deal. I lucked out the PO was dead on about the condition. Vans are not popular now so you can get a smoking deal. The beat part is its the same frame and drivetrain as a 1 ton Suburban with a big box on top.
Old    SamIngram            03-16-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
The beat part is its the same frame and drivetrain as a 1 ton Suburban with a big box on top.
Sorry, but the Express/Savana frame is drastically different than the Suburban frame. Mainly in the fact that front wheels on the van are lot closer to the front end. It doesn't matter though, I would gladly drive either.

I almost bought a DHL Express van with a Duramax in it but found the Expedition instead.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-16-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
"Were the Allison trannies ever put in Chevy 3/4 burban? That would a make or break deal for me on going with a chevy"

...To the best of my knowledge, no.

But that wasn't a deal breaker for me. I have 191,000 miles on my 4L80e, and it has been trouble free, and driven hard, I might add.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-19-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
I would go with that 8.1L Burban. 8.1L is just an all around beast!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-23-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
Does a Jeep commander even fit into this conversation? They are a bit smaller than i would like, but I just looked at one with 5.7 hemi. 06 loaded like I want with 60k for right at 15.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-23-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
Hasn't the Commander been voted one of the most unreliable vehicles out there the past few years?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
Well, here's the rig I ended up with. I went a little over budget, but I couldn't pass it up...only has 45k miles on it. I have a question about towing on this thing. It has 22s on it and I was curious if this will affect the towing at all?
Attached Images

Old     (metalic_era)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
We have a 06 Commander that we bought with mileage in the 20's we had a tube in the tranny that needed replaced (under warranty) now with 60 some thousand on it no problems. We have the 4.7 and it's rated for 6500#'s and tow a 20 I/O with no problem. We traded a Trailblazer with 3rd row for it and theres not as much room but when you lay the rear seat down flat you get a far amount of room.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
measure stock tires for height. then measure 22's height. if its a big difference you can change rear gear ratio for better pulling power.better pulling power = less gas mileage. less pulling power means better gas mileage AND more transmission wear and tear.