Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    masterwake            05-22-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have been having ongoing problems starting my MC so anyone please help a bro out!!

When I put my boat(99' MC Maristar) in off the trailer it starts up fine, we cruise down the lake to the good water and kill the engine to fill ballasts etc.

I try to start it back up and it wont attempt to crank. The volts are good (12+), it seems a lot like when the throttle is left in drive and you try to start it--but it's in neutral!! Then, after a while (say 10-20 minutes) it will start back up ok.

I replaced the battery and alternator but the exact same thing happened the next time I took it out. Then I left the boat sitting for a few weeks and when I went back today the new battery was dead.

From posts on here I have narrowed the problem down to either 1)solenoid in starter (I think it is probably this one) 2)MC ECU box or 3)loose wire.

The only other pertinent details that come to mind are it has made a clicking noise (although not always) when I try to start it, and I recently installed a new amp (which I cannot think of how this could be it but nonetheless . . .)

Any suggestions to help me tackle this challenge are very appreciated!!!! Thanks.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-22-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
there have been many posts regarding starting problems with MC's. I suggest you do a search on this site for more info.
As far as I have seen it usually is the solenoid on most threads, but then again I have no idea.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-23-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
Almost guarantee it is the solenoid on the starter. Next time it acts up got to the solenoid with the back of a screwdriver. Have someone turn the key and hold it in the crank position and tap the solenoid. It should start cranking.

If thats not it... I'd check the kill switch. I think you're boat has one, right?

Keep us posted.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-23-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
If the starter got wet from high water level in the bilge, the starter always goes. If its fuel injected, the throttle position sensor could be acting up. Check and make sure the cables to the starter at the starter posts aren't corroded. You could try to tap on the solenoid with a rachet or small hammer while someone turns the key. If that works, replace the starter, it will leave you stuck on the water. Strange that it happens after you get the boat running, usually a solenoid will give you problems all the time. Any way, sounds like an electrical issue. Good luck.
Old    luv2wake2            05-23-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
I just fixed a starter on a boat today. One of the spring clips that holds tension on the brushes, was broke. It was doing the same thing hit and miss, but if you held the key down and tapped on it , it would take off. The springs clips cost me 2.25 Seems like moisture likes to get into boat starters, and cause problems.