Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
My dealer says that these would be considered "Gell Damage" which only has a one year warranty. They claim that they are no longer allowed to use some compound so every boat manufacter is going with only a one year warranty. I can't believe MC wouldn't cover this on a 2008 boat. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
That is the standard. One year warranty on cosmetic gel coat cracking.
Old    SamIngram            07-21-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Did you read the Bob Lacovara articles that can be found online? He is the preeminent source on gel coat and hull cracking.

Lacovara Links

and

here
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-22-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
Did you read the Bob Lacovara articles that can be found online? He is the preeminent source on gel coat and hull cracking.

Lacovara Links

and

here
Funny you post that. I have worked with Richard at ICBW for ten years. All my personal work and referral work used to go to them strictly, no question. By far the best I have ever seen. And I see more than most. Unfortunately I talked with Richard last week and Island Coast Boat Works is closing for good. No work, no money. It sucks big time because now we are left with the acetone sniffing back of the truck guys working to pay their bar tab.

In off shore boats stress cracks and gel crazing is to a certain extent, part of life. Boats are plastic and they flex. They really flex in 3-4' head seas at 40 kts. Ski boats however encounter much different stresses. In many cases extended trailering can cause crack issues, tons of ballast and of course underlying build deficiencies can be to blame. Boats are built by humans, and although designed alike are many times very different the deeper you look.

As for advise I would beware the repair. Gel coat ages badly and a new repair that looks perfect today may stand out like me at a JayZ concert in six months.

Good luck.

>>> John

Sorry to distract, just thought Sam would like to know.
Old    SamIngram            07-22-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Bob will always have litigation work... as an expert witness in boat warranty cases he is the best!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Damn Edgar, all these problems your starting to scare me. Where did u find the spider cracks in the gel? I had a bunch of probs with my boat before it had 20 hrs on it. I have been relatively problem free but am keeping an eye on eveything. One thing i do have is some spider cracks in the bow on the floor in the walkway. I dont have a local MC since the dealer i bought from went out of biz and dont have trailer so its very difficult for me to get the boat places that are connected to my body of water.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-22-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
These are around the starboard size gas cap and around the cup holders in the bow (which we never use due to the filler cushion). I had some around the cup holders on the drivers side but those were fixed.

I hope MC covers them, the ones around the gas cap are bad!